Koronus Expanse to Koronus Sector

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

I don't think the Orks would care who killed which Warboss. They're not exactly devoted followers. Killing an Ork leader will just force a mini civil war until a new one is "elected" then business as usual.

There are many reasons why a Crusade into the Koronus Expanse wouldn't happen. There happens to be one good one: because the dude's the GM and he wants to make it happen. 

In a previous post I highlighted a few key things about the Koronus Expanse while bypassing a pretty major one: The Maw.

That thing is a strategic weakpoint. Yes, warp routes are always precarious things, but access to the Expanse is determined solely by this passage. A passage that is still wracked by warp storms and sudden gusts of aetheric winds to blow ships off course.

The very first step would be to secure this passage somehow. The Ordos don't shirk too much from heretical stuff, you can create a series of missions that will use devices to clear out and stabilize the passage or create new ones. 

(In an abandoned DH campaign, I had come up with a device called the Pharos Mirror. It was designed by the Emperor Himself as a fallback for the Astronomicon, should humanity continue to depend on it. Its purpose is to reflect the Astronomicon and act like a smaller lighthouse. Lesser Pharos Mirrors would then reflect that "light" and so on, to make navigation somewhat simpler. The main Pharos itself had the ability to focus the Astronomicon's light to clean up an area of space from warp storms. 

Recovering such a relic would stabilize the Maw or allow you to chart new ones.)

The second issue is men and materiel. The Imperium is at war, its factories are hard-pressed, its transports overburdened. This could all be handwaved away if the High Lords of Terra decide to invade and conquer the Koronus Expanse, of course. 

But there's another way. What if the Crusade to take Koronus is really just a resource grab to fuel the Achilus Crusade. Going by threats alone, the burgeoning WAAAGH! from Undred-Undred Teef and the Rak'Gol pales in comparison to Tyranids, Tau, and Chaos. 

So, instead of an official Crusade, your Ascended group can be sent to harness the Koronus Expanse. The side-effect would be turning it into a Sector as you secure new planets for their material resources as well as their "human resources" as tithes for the Munitorum. 

The Expanse is mostly untapped, and with raw resources flooding into Calixis, or better yet, local Koronus factories, they can churn out materiel. A portion would be retained for defense and for a lower-grade Crusade. 

Instead of fleets of hundreds of ships of the line, think scattered, patchwork alliances of Rogue Trader fleets who are constantly weighing the benefit of every action. Keeping them together and on point while balancing their influence and keeping them competitive will be a handful. A Rogue Trader civil war (of at least three sides) is certainly possible: Loyalists, Independents, and Opportunists. 

I think that's more suited to the Koronus Expanse due to its geography and history. 

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

Into the Strom - Venture into the secrets of the Strom Dynasty! 

#42 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

I'm an Eldar Corsair. I captured your Human ship, and took you and your gear prisoner. Now, either I appeal to your sensibilities/fear, and let you "earn your freedom" by throwing you at the Orks, or appel to your misplaced sense of superiority, and make you think you've somehow outsmarted the inferior xenos. Then, you attack the close by Orks. While I'm being painfully simple, there is easy access to all the stuff they'd need, and Humans are suitably gullible and predictable. If they could point the Orks at the Humans in the War of Armageddon, why not the other way on an at first smaller-seeming scale?

Yeah, the Imperium is often paradoxically huge but underequipped. Their answer to everything is MORE!!! or BIGGER!!!, which is just a slightly different version of MORE!!!, yet their trend to have ships that take a century to build, a limited number of their 1 million planets with the capability, knowledge, and resources to do it, and their always launching so many simultaneous crusades, dividing their forces leaves them with often insufficient forces to take a benighted sector. Look at Jericho? They've been at that for this long, with no real headway, and absolutely no chance of winning (IMO). And, stuff in the Calixis/Koronus/Periphery area is often limited to feed that very Crusade, so until the Angevin Crusade is done, the Imperium won't allow the Calixis Sector to marshall the resources; the Lord Sector will have to divert them to the Jericho meat grinder, literally "throw them against the walls" for no gain, here or there, but that's the Imperium for you.

Jericho is potentially easier. The enemies are known, well known, and relatively obvious. The threats in the Expanse are often veiled, mysterious, and sneaky. Jericho often would have a much more concentrated Battlefleet/Crusade Fleet, where Koronus only has the internecine warring of its various Rogue Traders and the forces Calixis can spare, what isn't defense, scout, or assisting in the fight against the Severan Dominate, or sequestered in Jericho. While I don't want to just say "they write these settings in ways to make sure that they never really end, so that you can forever do more in them", there is a certain truth to it.

#43 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm not saying the Eldar can't manipulate the Orks to attack the humans. I'm just saying they couldn't give a bent toof about assassinated leaders.

Ork "thought" process: "Dead Warboss? Whoz da next biggest?" Or "Dead Warboss? Me the new boss! WAAAGHH!"

Vengeance won't enter into the mindset of a being that prizes fights. Planting evidence that humans killed some warbosses would simply mean there had been a good fight and many the 'umies would give them good fights as well. I don't know how that would encourage more attacks in the long run.

• WeedyGrot likes this

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

#44 Regis Eisen

Regis Eisen

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

One of the things that came up for our campaign was the working together of Rogue Traders and Inquisitors.  Both have access to massive resources, but, ironically, as a Dynasty's success in a crusade brings more and more order and imperial rule to the area, it also weakens the power of the warrant outside of Imperial space, which increases the power of a Rosette.  So, while its important to know which RT's are out there trying to maintain their own rights and holdings, remember all the other power players: Inquisitors, Judges, Cardinals, Admirals and the like that all want to establish power bases and influence in the soon (sort of) to be sector.

#45 darkforce

darkforce

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Well, while the Imperium certainly won't launch a campaign to the Expanse, it'd still make for a VERY memorable campaign in my opinion, a very long, bloated one, with many side-sections for Deathwatch/Only War/Dark Heresy/Black Crusade one-shots, you could really get the players invested into this campaign, with their choices having a real lasting impact.

Of course, you won't be able to play that setting ever again for Rogue Trader (at least not in that Region of Space) but it could be a nice Setting for a new Dark Heresy campaign. 

On the other hand, I'd personally go through the trouble of inflicting repeatedly XD10 Damage on you should this campaign not take two to three years... and dice to the head can be both painful and/or annoying ;)

#46 WeedyGrot

WeedyGrot

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

I'm not saying the Eldar can't manipulate the Orks to attack the humans. I'm just saying they couldn't give a bent toof about assassinated leaders.

Ork "thought" process: "Dead Warboss? Whoz da next biggest?" Or "Dead Warboss? Me the new boss! WAAAGHH!"

Vengeance won't enter into the mindset of a being that prizes fights. Planting evidence that humans killed some warbosses would simply mean there had been a good fight and many the 'umies would give them good fights as well. I don't know how that would encourage more attacks in the long run.

An Ork warlord who lets himself get assassinated is an Ork worlord who isn't worth following. Those humans just proved the need for a better Warlord. Good job 'umies!

The Ork ideology is (in part) an extension of the survival of the fittest to extremes and any Ork that didn't survive isn't going to start a vengence crusade. If anything it will cause the Orks to become more insular as they fight amongst themselves to sort out who is the new boss.

Now if the humans repeatedly attacked the Orks with a lot of firepower (or appeared to do so) then that would probably look like a challenge...

#47 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:04 AM

Thank you all for your comments, even the ones telling me I'm basically mad for even thinging of this.

I'm not stranger to long DH campaigns, as our groups first one lasted the better part of three years and at its high point involved 15 players similtaniously! Trust me when I say I'm looking for a source of inspiration for a long campaign.

I quite like the idea of a low-burn crusade simply to feed the Jerico Reach, to the point that I think thats going to be the underlying purpose of my campaign.

As for stabalising the Maw, thanks for the idea, its now going to be the first mission of my group on Saturday night. MY take on it is going to be a little more heretical (they are working under a radical inquisitor - Osrin from the Radicals handbook if anyone is interested) and might involve recovering something from a Tomb-world in the Outer Reach.

Keep the ideas flowing poeple, if anyone has got a cool writeup for a location in the Expanse then post it up and I'll try and integrate it into my campaign (and eventually write it all up as a campaign book)

Regards

Surak

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts.Therefore library's are the source of all evil.

My DH beta 2 aptitude calc is here https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Part of the TeamACES youtube channel http://www.youtube.c...Ha0q8lrmTRGATFA

#48 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

I don't think I was clear enough, I wasn't implying the Orks would be bereaved at the loss of their beloved leader or some such. However they would likely see it first of all as a challenge or an invitation to war, and many could also see it secondly as an insult because "Sassinating is fer pansy gits wot don't do fings proppa!".

The other thing is that no going off of what I read in Edge of the Abyss killing two out of the three would not send the region into a free for all, rather it would expedite a process that's already in motion with the surviving warboss rapidly absorbing the other two hordes into his own. Undred Undred Teef is already on the verge of launching a major Waaagh, there are really only the three major contenders remaining for who is going to lead it.

#49 Askold

Askold

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:25 AM

One important occasion of the Eldar manipulating orks caused the second Armageddon war.

The fluff mentions that the visions that inspired Ghazkull to invade Armageddon had been planted by the Eldar farseers.

#50 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

Thank you all for your comments, even the ones telling me I'm basically mad for even thinging of this.

I'm not stranger to long DH campaigns, as our groups first one lasted the better part of three years and at its high point involved 15 players similtaniously! Trust me when I say I'm looking for a source of inspiration for a long campaign.

I quite like the idea of a low-burn crusade simply to feed the Jerico Reach, to the point that I think thats going to be the underlying purpose of my campaign.

As for stabalising the Maw, thanks for the idea, its now going to be the first mission of my group on Saturday night. MY take on it is going to be a little more heretical (they are working under a radical inquisitor - Osrin from the Radicals handbook if anyone is interested) and might involve recovering something from a Tomb-world in the Outer Reach.

Keep the ideas flowing poeple, if anyone has got a cool writeup for a location in the Expanse then post it up and I'll try and integrate it into my campaign (and eventually write it all up as a campaign book)

Regards

Surak

CaptainRemiVandigrath has a great thread in the House Rules forum: http://community.fan...pire-generator/

There are some Xenos empire writeups there. But the rules will help you flesh things out, I've been doing the same for our own campaign.

#51 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

so it began on Saturday,

http://community.fan...s-pacification/ this is the link to the campaing log on the DH forums,

I will keep coming back to the thread here ot discuss stuff my players aren't meant to see (they don't use these forums)

Regards

Surak

Knowledge is power, and power corrupts.Therefore library's are the source of all evil.

#52 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

Ok people the campaign is going well so far, but I could do with a little help from you fine people for Sunday's session.

If you've not been following the log, at the end of the last session the PC's have kicked the ants nest a little and now they've got some necrons to deal with. Now I've got access to all the official Necron stuff and that great, but I wanted an "end of level" style scenario for the end of the session and my first thoughts (as a necron table top player) were monoliths, Triarch Stalkers, and possibly a Pylon or two.

Now at the moment I'm really not sure how to go about converting the table top stats to RPG stats, so has anyone got any suggestions either for finished stat-lines or for how to go about the conversion?

Regards

Surak

#53 bzro

bzro

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Well, I always love a good conversion. Although slightly curious as to where you found  the stats for the tomb-spiders, scarabs, and... those whippy floating ones. This  is so frustrating, my brother plays necrons, I really should know this.

Anyway, I don't know what your acolytes have  in terms of equipment, but I would hesitate to send them up against  a Pylon or Monolith. Unless they have dedicated AT weaponry, they won't be able to really do anything in that combat. Unless they jacked some Gauss Weaponry from some sleeping ones, or a warscythe.

That said, a Triarch stalker would be interesting, if very challenging. It IS lightly armoured enough (once shields are down) that moderately heavy weapons would eventually pick it apart.

Of course is the Acolytes are supposed to be made to feel tiny and  insignificant against this overwhelming Xenos force, then I would go Monolith. I'll start putting  together stats for a Triarch.

*EDIT*

Rereading that, I realize you might be talking about all them at once, with the PCs being supported by the small army they have with them. So, in that case, never mind that first part...

Edited by bzro, 14 March 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#54 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

bzro,

Yeh your right the Acolytes are tooled up to the max, and leading a force of several hundred, plus they have access to a Rogue Trader's starship in orbit that might be carrying a battery of bombardment cannons (don't ask it is a looooong story).

The idea is to restore a little humility to the group as at the moment they have been pasting Wraiths (the whippy things you mentioned  :) ) with rifle fire, scarabs with shotguns, and don't get me started on the one-shot-kill on a tomb spider.

So I'm not really to worried about itting them with something challenging, they are a creative bunch.

As for the official stats, Death Watch's "The Outer Reach" and to a lesser degree Black Crusade's "Tome of Fate" both have Necron goodies in them, but if you are just after the necron stuff get The Outer Reach as its more comprehensive.

Regards

Surak

#55 bzro

bzro

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Oh, I see! Well, if there's one thing I like doing, it's putting players in their place.  :)

Okay... quick question, for the Triarch stalkers, do you envision their two-shot Multimelta to be actually 2 shots or a continuous beam? And will you be considering infantry in this as well?

#56 Surak

Surak

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

I think having the Stalker's melta a beam is more Necron, they seam to have a thing for beam weapons.

And I'd probably use it the same way as dreadnoughts and such are stated - part character, part vehicle.

Regards

Surak

#57 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Now at the moment I'm really not sure how to go about converting the table top stats to RPG stats, so has anyone got any suggestions either for finished stat-lines or for how to go about the conversion?

My own rather simplistic approach was to compare the statlines of weapons that exist both in the tabletop and the RPG as a sort of "rosetta stone", thus establishing a conversion rate applicable to other items.

If you're interested, I have described this process here in greater detail, including a converted Tau Pulse Rifle. :)

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#58 bzro

bzro

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

That's a very clever way to convert things, but I feel like it's mostly a way to get a baseline more than a pure stat. Heavy boltera are also S5, but Tau rifles don't have 2d10+ damage. Well... except for the Deathwatch version...

Also, giving the pulse rifle a 75m range is silly when lasguns have a 90m range. But  it IS a good place  to start, definitely. Better than shooting in the dark.

#59 bzro

bzro

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Here's a quick and messy start for the Triarch gun.

Heat Ray
90m    S/-/-     2d10+18E     pen12     Melta

The Heat Ray is a weapon used to quickly eliminate enemy armour from mid range. It delivers a concentrated blast of radiation accelerated to mind-boggling speeds within an internal particle accelerator before being fired in either a narrow stream or a wide blast. The radiation causes a submolecular breakdown in both the atmosphere and in its target, releasing massive amounts of heat and energy. This radiation, while having a half-life of only a few moments, is incredibly visible to Necron optical sensors, and targets who have survived the combination of radiation and roiling plasma are "painted", making any foe that can withstand this weapon easily targeted by other Necrons.

For each consecutive turn the Heat Ray hits the same target, increase its Damage and Penetration by 4, to a maximum of +12. If it misses or fires at a different target, this bonus is immediately lost. This extra damage is applied before the Melta rule.
If a target has been hit by the Heat Ray in this turn or at any time in the last 2 turns, other Necrons get a +20 to any Ballistic Skill tests made to hit that target.

*edit*

Added description and weird twin-linking rule. I really hope I remember the Heat Ray twin linking stuff correctly...

Edited by bzro, 14 March 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#60 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

I'll leave direct conversions to those more learned on the subject. ;) That being said, I would look at end game scenario's in more of a strategic fashion. For Instance: What are your your little hornet's nest of Necrons trying to accomplish? Are they trying to reawaken a Shard of the Nightbringer? Worse yet, Is there a Tombship trying to come out of it's long slumber? These choices will likely affect your other decisions. A small group might be trying to awaken a shard but with a Tombship will threaten entire Stars so anything is possible!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS