Caldara-based deck

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

So there's a lot of Caldara and Emery hate, but after making a bit of a "first draft" mono-spirit deck and trying it out on a few quests, I actually think Caldara is really fun.

Hero (3)
Caldara (TBoG) x1
Eowyn (Core) x1
Glorfindel (FoS) x1

Ally (26)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x2
Damrod (HON) x3
Elfhelm (TDM) x2
Emery (TBoG) x2
Gandalf (Core) x3
Imladris Stargazer (FoS) x3
Lorien Guide (Core) x3
Northern Tracker (Core) x2
Pelargir Shipwright (AoO) x3
Zigil Miner (KD) x3

Attachment (7)
Ancient Mathom (AJtR) x3
Light of Valinor (FoS) x2
Map of Earnil (AoO) x2

Event (17)
A Test of Will (Core) x2
A Watchful Peace (HON) x3
Dwarven Tomb (Core) x1
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
Fortune or Fate (Core) x1
Hasty Stroke (Core) x2
Stand and Fight (Core) x3
Will of the West (Core) x2

Glorfindel and Eowyn are a bit redundant as questers, so given a friend's second deck, I would happily swap one for Eleanor for more support. The strategy is obvious; be able to replay Fortune or Fate as much as possible, and fill the discard pile with allies. Will of the West is to efficiently mix Fortune or Fate back in if it gets put on the bottom of my deck by the Map. Some games were overwhelmed with enemies, say for example in the seventh level. Giving Caldara a bonus 1 defense from Arwen, defending with maybe some damage, discard, get allies, replay, and there were even some times I managed this two turns in a row. It is extremely effective. Emery has fantastic stats for an ally you can play for free, and does a great job of putting more allies in the discard pile.

#2 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

I run Eleanor, Caldara, Éowyn. It feels good to have a mono-Spirit without Glorfindel. It is a great coop deck, still very decent solo, especially against the Mirkwood quests. Hobbit Gandalf is the key card of my experience. He is just invaluable, just last night I had him in play from round 2 till the successful end of the campaign.

#3 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

Just one more tip, get rid of Stargazer and Zigil, it is one combo I had been running since it came out, but I have learnt I can easily do without it, especially in this deck that often has more resources than it requires.

#4 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Oh yeah, I have since totally bailed on the miner in favor of west road traveler. However, I like me some stargazer a bit too much. The miner is more about putting allies in the discard pile, but Emery definitely gets the job done.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS