Thanks for the Plugged in Tour

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 foolserrand

foolserrand

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

I started this thread on the general form so that more people may see it. Due to negative feedback, FFG is stating that it is highly unlikely they will do something like the tour again. This is very unfortunate as the tour brought a lot to the community. It helped promote the game and brought some attention to a local game store. It was a blast to meet the creators and voting for a runner allowed the players to actually affect the world somewhat.

I understand some people were upset that it didn't come near their area. If the tour was promoted however it might expand to more locations. Now it may never come again.

If you want to see something like the tour again or you are thankful to FFG for game, please post in the Plugged in Tour thread letter of thanks.

• skipper.pickle and trevrizent like this

#2 Neurothustra

Neurothustra

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

when did they say they won't do another tour? What was the negative feedback? I can't imagine it was just people complaining that the tour didn't hit their area, since that wouldn't really be negative.

#3 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

when did they say they won't do another tour? What was the negative feedback? I can't imagine it was just people complaining that the tour didn't hit their area, since that wouldn't really be negative.

It was that, coupled with the fact that people who couldn't attent couldn't vote on The Collective vs Fisk, which will in time have a large impact on the metagame.

Sadly, it did cause a lot of 'toys out of pram' style comments, and a lot of the reaction was quite tantrumish (not everyone, but the more vocal ones). It'll be a shame if FFG doesn't do another tour because of that reaction, but I'd unterstand if they did make that choice.

#4 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:27 AM

The main outcry was from us International players. Especially in the UK, who were huge supporters of the original Netrunner release, when it failed to stay alive in the States. Of course, the primary aspect of the tournament was for the designers to test out challenge decks and talk to players, that's great and all, but that wasn't the reason for the outcry.

The fact that the vote was given to Americans/Canadians felt insulting to us. We buy and love the game just as much as they do and because FFG are so America centric they treat overseas as second class citizens. Like when the Humanity's Shadow Datapack stock was diverted to meet American demand, making the pack new impossible to find otherwise. My local shop could only get in 6 packs due to the shortage (despite having 24 Netrunner customer orders) and it affected the Meta for a while as a result since Humanity's Shadow was banned from Tournament play as a result.

Yes, there was an over-reaction, we realise FFG aren't Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro, we are getting an International Tournament of some kind as a result of the outcry, which is great. However, I still feel burned about having no impact on the Meta, unless FFG were to announce something equal, like for example International players getting to Vote on a new Corp ID, since we had no say in the Runner one.

• skipper.pickle likes this

#5 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

The main outcry was from us International players. Especially in the UK, who were huge supporters of the original Netrunner release, when it failed to stay alive in the States. Of course, the primary aspect of the tournament was for the designers to test out challenge decks and talk to players, that's great and all, but that wasn't the reason for the outcry.

The fact that the vote was given to Americans/Canadians felt insulting to us. We buy and love the game just as much as they do and because FFG are so America centric they treat overseas as second class citizens. Like when the Humanity's Shadow Datapack stock was diverted to meet American demand, making the pack new impossible to find otherwise. My local shop could only get in 6 packs due to the shortage (despite having 24 Netrunner customer orders) and it affected the Meta for a while as a result since Humanity's Shadow was banned from Tournament play as a result.

Yes, there was an over-reaction, we realise FFG aren't Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro, we are getting an International Tournament of some kind as a result of the outcry, which is great. However, I still feel burned about having no impact on the Meta, unless FFG were to announce something equal, like for example International players getting to Vote on a new Corp ID, since we had no say in the Runner one.

Well you got what you wanted. FFG will give you a tour and then they will never do anything like this again. I guess that's one way to look at it as worth it. Better no one gets to do cool things then some.

FFG is an american company so they concentrate on North America. Talking with the plugged-in FFG people it was clear that no one expected how popular the game would become and how quickly the game would grow. They all said only now do they actually feel like they're catching up to the demand. Shortages were not a Europe only phenomenon since in the US even this summer there was a period when you could not find a Core set to save your life. And I know many stores sold out of Opening Moves and could not even fill all their pre-orders. You taking FFG's slow and careful approach to the game (not ordering a gazzilion cards to be printed only for them to sit in warehouses and FFG going bankrupt as a result) as some sort of a personal slight seems weird to me. Why do you think FFG wants to somehow insult it's loyal player base? I'm 4 hours away from Minneapolis but unfortunately because the World Championships for ANR are on Friday instead of Saturday I couldn't make it. Don't you think it would be silly of me to write an angry letter to FFG about how much of an insult it is to ANR  players that they are doing X-wing tournament on Saturday? The Xwing players gain is not somehow my loss. It's unfortunate that all what the negative outcry achieved was now none of us will get anything as cool as the PI tour again.

• Epistemic likes this

#6 CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

For the record, I'm also a UK player. As much as I was disappointed in no UK stops on plugged-in, the response was very childish from a lot of people.

Note that we ARE getting to vote on two new IDs in the Chronos Protocol tour. That was in the press release. If this negative reaction turns into no more big events, that'll be a huge shame, but would you want to go to all that effort and have it thrown back in your face like that?

#7 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

For the record, I'm also a UK player. As much as I was disappointed in no UK stops on plugged-in, the response was very childish from a lot of people.

Note that we ARE getting to vote on two new IDs in the Chronos Protocol tour. That was in the press release. If this negative reaction turns into no more big events, that'll be a huge shame, but would you want to go to all that effort and have it thrown back in your face like that?

I'm sorry if I came off blaming every foreign player for the vocal minority. That was certainly not my intention. . And by the way it wasn't just foreign people either. Any area in the US where there wasn't a PI tour within a convenient driving distance complained as well. What really got me was the fact that people took it so personally. As if FFG  said "here's a map of everyone we like. All the rest of you can go F yourselves." If anyone actually thinks that that was their intention then they need a reality check.

I also totally understand FFG's hesitance in doing anything else like this in going forward. Instead of getting the universal praise and thanks of the community they get childish "if I can't play no one else should be able to either" responses and that's sad. FFG seems genuinely interested in having a positive image. And not just the usual fake corporate "we care deeply about our customers" BS either. From talking with the FFG guys they do want to keep as many people as possible happy and they are honestly trying their best. Let's hope that once the dust settles they reconsider because I agree with the OP that the PI tour was amazing and for what it's worth FFG has made a fan for life in me.

• Epistemic likes this

#8 skipper.pickle

skipper.pickle

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hey, FFG! You should be hearing all that "negative feedback" as "overwhelming success."  

It's time to iterate, not retreat!

• trevrizent likes this

#9 trevrizent

trevrizent

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

The Plugged in Tour was the most fun I have had at a gaming event in years.  Please keep it up, this game is great and the events and roll out are executed well!

#10 Mixxathon

Mixxathon

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

While I was really disappointed that FFG didn't take the time to visit Sweden (which we all know is the center of the universe and FFG's most important market), I find it in my heart to be really happy for those who got to play in one of the events :)

I could not care less about not having a say in the meta since I will gladly play whatever comes out. Would I be sad if I got to vote? Not in the slightest, but it is definitely not a game breaking thing having been "left out" of the loop.

The Tour is a great thing that should continue, and as time passes it has a chance to grow beyond today's borders - and in the mean time, perhaps FFG could do something cool for those who did not get included - or have any hope of ever be at all (yep, that means us over here) - f.x. extend "prize support" to anyone who are deemed worthy to organize an event (much like Decipher did with their CCG games)..... and perhaps let us vote on the meta by logging in to this site and register our proof of purchase to prove our validity.

So, keep the Tour going FFG! Good work.

• mothchoir likes this

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe.

#11 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

While I was really disappointed that FFG didn't take the time to visit Sweden (which we all know is the center of the universe and FFG's most important market), I find it in my heart to be really happy for those who got to play in one of the events :)

I could not care less about not having a say in the meta since I will gladly play whatever comes out. Would I be sad if I got to vote? Not in the slightest, but it is definitely not a game breaking thing having been "left out" of the loop.

The Tour is a great thing that should continue, and as time passes it has a chance to grow beyond today's borders - and in the mean time, perhaps FFG could do something cool for those who did not get included - or have any hope of ever be at all (yep, that means us over here) - f.x. extend "prize support" to anyone who are deemed worthy to organize an event (much like Decipher did with their CCG games)..... and perhaps let us vote on the meta by logging in to this site and register our proof of purchase to prove our validity.

You actually are getting a tour. Well I'm not sure if Sweden exactly is getting a tour but the EU in general is and you'll  get to vote on an ID as well

Here's the link:

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4332

#12 skwizzle

skwizzle

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

Since there's nothing official, this still has the status of a rumor. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Plugged In was fantastic! But, the voting upset a lot of people. Also, I'm sure it was quite draining on resources (both monetary and human) to be shipping your development team all over the country.

IMO, the Fisk vs. Collective voting did more harm than good. It mainly served to fuel a bunch of stupid Internet arguments, and upset players who couldn't take part in it. It wasn't necessary, though. If they'd simply announced a nationwide tournament, and told us that the developers would be there to meet & greet the players, I still would've gone, and I'm sure that most everybody else would've, too. I didn't need that vote for motivation! Plugged In offered plenty already. A lot of people would still be annoyed that FFG couldn't come to their region, but it wouldn't have impacted the game at all.

Edited by skwizzle, 19 November 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#13 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Since there's nothing official, this still has the status of a rumor. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Plugged In was fantastic! But, the voting upset a lot of people. Also, I'm sure it was quite draining on resources (both monetary and human) to be shipping your development team all over the country.

IMO, the Fisk vs. Collective voting did more harm than good. It mainly served to fuel a bunch of stupid Internet arguments, and upset players who couldn't take part in it. It wasn't necessary, though. If they'd simply announced a nationwide tournament, and told us that the developers would be there to meet & greet the players, I still would've gone, and I'm sure that most everybody else would've, too. I didn't need that vote for motivation! Plugged In offered plenty already. A lot of people would still be annoyed that FFG couldn't come to their region, but it wouldn't have impacted the game at all.

Which part are you reffering to as being unofficial? If it's the chronos tour then it actually is official since it was announced right here on FFG's main page.

As far as the voting goes I completely disagree. People would have been just as upset if there were no voting if they weren't getting their own tours within drivable distance. And as far as "stupid internet argument" goes, there is nothing wrong with spirited discussion about a game you like, on the internet or in real life. It actually helps the game and spreads it's popularity.

#14 skwizzle

skwizzle

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

Which part are you reffering to as being unofficial? If it's the chronos tour then it actually is official since it was announced right here on FFG's main page.

As far as the voting goes I completely disagree. People would have been just as upset if there were no voting if they weren't getting their own tours within drivable distance. And as far as "stupid internet argument" goes, there is nothing wrong with spirited discussion about a game you like, on the internet or in real life. It actually helps the game and spreads it's popularity.

In the original post, Foolserrand said: "Due to negative feedback, FFG is stating that it is highly unlikely they will do something like the tour again." This is what I was referring to as "unofficial". I'll admit if I'm wrong, though. Where has FFG stated this?

"People would have been just as upset if there were no voting if they weren't getting their own tours within drivable distance."

I don't think so. In fact, many of them said as much.

#15 frybender

frybender

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

In the original post, Foolserrand said: "Due to negative feedback, FFG is stating that it is highly unlikely they will do something like the tour again." This is what I was referring to as "unofficial". I'll admit if I'm wrong, though. Where has FFG stated this?

"People would have been just as upset if there were no voting if they weren't getting their own tours within drivable distance."

I don't think so. In fact, many of them said as much.

I see. You're right it is completely unofficial that FFG will no longer do anything like th PI tour again. I got it based on some conversations that some people had at some of the PI tours with the FFG staff but you're correct there is no official anouncement.

The voting was a small part of it. Most of the community was upset at the perceived lack of attention that FFG has showed Europe. They hold the "World" championships in Minnesota, they have sometimes had to reroute stock that was headed to Europe in order to meet demand in the US and the PI tour was a culmination of these perceived slights that non-US fans felt. No matter what they did with the PI tour people were going to be outraged. 

#16 Mixxathon

Mixxathon

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

You actually are getting a tour. Well I'm not sure if Sweden exactly is getting a tour but the EU in general is and you'll  get to vote on an ID as well

Here's the link:

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4332

This is great news :) !!

Now, all I can hope for is that they decide to make a pitstop over here.... or in Denmark. Living in southern Sweden it takes me about an hour to get to Copenhagen by train. By comparison, it would take me about 5 hours to our own capitol, hehe.

Good work, FFG!!

Edited by Mixxathon, 28 November 2013 - 09:31 AM.

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe.

#17 skwizzle

skwizzle

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

This is great news :) !!

Now, all I can hope for is that they decide to make a pitstop over here.... or in Denmark. Living in southern Sweden it takes me about an hour to get to Copenhagen by train. By comparison, it would take me about 5 hours to our own capitol, hehe.

Good work, FFG!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I heard they can't afford to ship the designers over to Europe. There'll be tournaments, and you'll get to vote on cards (probably two corp IDs), but the designers won't be there.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS