Direct Hit Damage Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HerrUther

HerrUther

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Need some clarification on when 'Direct Hit' comes up on a Critical hit.

It says that 'This card counts as 2 damage against your hull' do you:

A. Apply it as a critical hit left face up with a critical token placed as usual??

B. Do you flip the critical card face down and take another damage card, to show the 2 damage, and not apply the critical token??

I know you don't normally flip a critical card without performing an action etc but as this critical only has the effect of causing 2 hull is either of these right or wrong??

Sorry if this has been asked already, I have trawled to find it but wasn't able to.

Thanks in advance!

#2 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

A. FWIW, I don't place crit hit tokens next to my ship. Just one more thing to get left behind like target lock tokens tend to float in space,

B. Leave the card face up. Special abilities like R5 may flip the card face down during the end phase

#3 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

B. Leave the card face up. Special abilities like R5 may flip the card face down during the end phase

Yeah that seems the best way to do it. If R5 can flip that card over, it would no longer count as 2 hits. Filping it over and having another card could cause confusion...

Plus, drawing another card from the stack means that you can't draw what ever crit was on it.

#4 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

Minor Explosion (I think it is) is a good contrast to direct it - it's conditional (roll a die) but it will draw a second damage card.

Direct Hit just counts as two while it's face up.  In addition to the R5 mentioned above, drawing a second card would also play out differently if anyone ever actually used Saboteur ;)

#5 HerrUther

HerrUther

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

So just keep the card face up whether your Imp or a Rebel Scum…

Damn… we've been doing it wrong then, ah we'll you live and learn I suppose!

#6 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

ah we'll you live and learn I suppose!

Or in this case... Explode in a ball of fire with your ship scattered across the galaxy, and hope in that last second someone else learns. ;)
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

#7 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

So just keep the card face up whether your Imp or a Rebel Scum…

Damn… we've been doing it wrong then, ah we'll you live and learn I suppose!

To be fair, it probably didn't actually change anything in your game.  The list of actual impacts is pretty short - I think the R5 Astromech, R5-D8, and Saboteur are the only ones I can think of.

#8 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Consider that if you would "flip it over and deal another face down card" you could then run into a Saboteur who could flip it back up and repeat the process for escalating damage.  I'm 99.9% sure that is not the intention.

In all honesty I'm afraid that the Direct Hit card's wording is a bit misleading.  I mean don't the rules say a ship is destroyed when it has been dealt damage cards equal to its hull yet the Direct Hit doesn't say it counts as "two damage cards" when face up but rather just two damage.  We know that if a Proton Bomb deals that card to an otherwise "healthy" A-Wing the fighter should be destroyed but when it still has shields those should interact with the "damage" the card produces.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS