clarification on combat phase/resolution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shaadea

Shaadea

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hi, I'm quite new to the game, and I think I got all the rules right. Only the combat phase leaves some question marks.

Here's what I read from the rules:

1. Attacker declares target - clear

2. Roll attack dice - also clear

3. Modify attack dice - ok here starts the fun stuff. The rules state that if both sides want to modify the result then the defender have to go first. So if I have Sensor jammer for example I have to decide if I want to use it, and then the attacker can choose to use an available focus token to change it back to an hit. Now what about abilities like "Elusiveness"? Let's say the attacker rolls his attack and scores no hits. I don't want him to reroll anything of course. Let's assume he attacks with a concussion missile that allows him to change one blank into an hit, or what if he rolled no hits but a single focus and he still has his focus token? Once I passed as defender and decided not to use "elusiveness" (or similar abilities/effects) I'm settled with that decision, right? I can't come back and have him reroll after he modified the result?!

Just want to make sure. "Elusiveness" is not very good for what it costs with that procedure :)

4. Roll defense dice - clear

5. Modify defense dice - mostly same procedure/rule as with attack dice, only that attacker goes first now

6. Compare results - clear

7. Deal damage - clear

What about Han's ability that states that he may reroll at any time (even during step 5 - 6)?

Thanks

#2 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

What about Han's ability that states that he may reroll at any time (even during step 5 - 6)?

Thanks

Han's ability allow him to modify dice "when attacking", but all abilities that modify attack dice, including Han's, must be used on the "Step 3: Modify attack dice" in the attack sequence.

Except for that, you got everything right. And yes, 'Elusiveness' is regarded as one of the weakest EPT out there.

Edited by Jehan Menasis, 05 November 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#3 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

I can't come back and have him reroll after he modified the result?!

Right. The attacker needs to give you a chance to modify the dice, so he can't just start doing it then tell you it's too late.

But once you have passed or at least don't stop him from starting to modify the dice, your chance is gone.

Also yes you're right Elusiveness isn't considered a very good EPT.

#4 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Elusiveness combos well with Captain Yorr (not Recursively, mind, but being able to do it every attack is pretty good nonetheless)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS