Interested in getting a group together to play on Vassal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hayhar07

hayhar07

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

First off, I LOVE A Game of Thrones the Board Game. Have for some time now. However, I do not get to play it nearly as much as I would like to because of real life circumstances preventing me and my gaming group from ever getting together to play. I have found a program called Vassal designed to allow people to play board games over the internet and I obtained a Game of Thrones 2nd edition module for it and it seems to actually function quite well. If anyone would be interested in getting a gaming group together for this to play maybe once or twice a week, let me know.

There are some rules that me and my gaming have come to adapt when we played the game that might not align exactly with that other Game of Thrones players might be used to however. Some of these rules include:

1. A player must obtain at least 7 Strongholds / Castles and hold at least 7 Strongholds / Castles until the end of the current round to win. (Unless of course 10 rounds pass in which case who ever has the most Strongholds / Castles wins or if you're tied you go through the tie breakers which are Strongholds-Supply Track- Power Tokens - Iron Throne Track)

2. A lone Siege Engine acts kind of like a Power Token being used on the board in the sense that if it is attacked by its self, it does not start a battle, it is simply removed from the board. However as long as it is sitting on a Stronghold / Castle, Supply Barrels, or Power Icons by its self, it still provides control.

3. A Siege Engine cannot start a battle by its self unless it is marching into a territory containing a Stronghold / Castle. This means in order for a Siege Engine to march into a territory that contains enemy units but not a Stronghold / Castle, It must be accompanied by other units. 

4. If a territory containing nothing but routed enemy units is marched on, no battle is started. The routed units are simply removed from the board. However if the territory contained a mix of routed and unrouted units, a battle would ensure like normal without the routed units strength points counting. 

I would be open to changing or ignoring some of these rules if you guys don't like them, it's just how me and my last gaming group liked the game. The days that would work best for me to play during the week would probably be Tuesday afternoons around 3:30 pm CST, and Saturday afternoons at anytime. Again, if you're interested just reply to this post or email me at hayhar07@gmail.com

Peace

#2 SFRR

SFRR

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

To be honest, I would not recommend any of these changes to the game.  I would recommend balance changes to make the game a better experience for House Lannister (which has won only one game out of 32 that I have observed, played in, or GM'd).  House Lannister has the lowest win percentage (8%) on the PBF Stats Box listed on BGG.

That's the MUCH BIGGER problem, IMHO.

(SFRR) aka Siferr Stark

#3 Bokstavskontroll

Bokstavskontroll

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hi, I feel the same way broh. I'm a GOT junkie. Been playing for about half a year, as often as I can but not close to what I'd like to. I'd love to be a part of an internet group with experienced involved players. 

I live in Sweden (CET), a bit of a time difference there but it's manageable. I'm a student, sometimes I might be busy with exams etc. Apart from that I should be able to play any day of the week. 

Cheers

#4 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Sign me up for some AGoT, I would love to play.  I like the game as-is, and have done well enough with Lannister as well.  Winning with them requires diplomacy far more than other houses, and choosing your friends (and enemies) carefully is important.  Their central position is a poor place to go it alone, but in a very good position to throw their support behind one neighbor or another, so they are more effective diplomatically than other houses as well.  I like them, personally.

• hayhar07 likes this

#5 hayhar07

hayhar07

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'm perfectly fine with playing the game as is. Also I found that the included 4 player setup was QUITE unbalanced and left Baratheon extremely over powered but me and my gaming group constructed what I would call the perfect 4 player setup. We use houses Baratheon, Lannistar, Tyrell, and Martell. We place 1 neutral token of 5 on King's Landing, and than block off EVERY space North of Riverrun. We also lower the amount of requires Castles/Strongholds to 6 to win. This is a very fun setup and is very balenced and we could play it that way if we wanted to. KineticOperator we already have 3 people including me, you, and Bokstavskontroll up there. I'm on sure if SFRR wants to play with us or not but Kinetic could I get your email so we have a more reliable way to communicate. Also you guys let me know if you would rather wait till we have 6 players to play or we could try out that 4 player setup which I've played several times and I think it works great.

Peace

#6 Cpt. Caine

Cpt. Caine

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Hey people, I'd like to join in on this if possible?

#7 Cpt. Caine

Cpt. Caine

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

My e-mail is holmberg.jsh@gmail.com

#8 SFRR

SFRR

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

Just show up on Vassal and play!  I would be happy to play in your group as well.

(SFRR) aka Siferr Stark

#9 hayhar07

hayhar07

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

SFRR what's your email? I'm trying to email everyone and get a time that all of us can get on at the same time to play. Also would you guys be interested in using a chat program called Teamspeak while we play to help with the diplomacy aspect? We could each have our own channel and ask to join someone elses to talk diplomacy during the game than the other players couldn't hear you if you didn't want them to. I just feel like having no other form of communication besides typing might hinder the diplomacy aspect but it's whatever.

#10 SFRR

SFRR

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the invite, my schedule is too unpredictable atm...I just show up and play when I am able.

(SFRR) aka Siferr Stark

#11 ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:59 PM

I'm wondering how complicated it is to play on Vassal?  I followed links to download this and download that, I lost interest after reading too darn much. 

Simple answer to this question, no bull:  Is it easy to get set up or is it hard?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS