• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 XSedi

XSedi

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hi community members,

theres an upcoming local tournament this month and all Netrunner cards aside from german cards are not allowed to take part in it.

This store is part of one of the Heidelberger flagship-stores and people starting to call out a boycott for this event.

what do you think ?

#2 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

I think it's the organizer's prerogative to make such a decision, but I do think it is a very unfortunate one. Many German players do collect the English version (especially if they got into the game upon release last year already, like I did). If there is concern about some players not understanding the English cards, the TO/judges should simply have a reference of the German card texts prepared, so if there's doubt about the text of an English card, they can simply look up the German text. Or simply have a bilingually proficient judge.

I frequently use my English cards against players using the German ones, and there's never been a problem -- either they are familiar with the card or I can translate it for them. I understand that in a tournament setting people may be less likely to trust their opponent's translation of an unfamiliar card, but again, the judge should be able to resolve any disputes.

• Internutt, skipper.pickle and Peekay like this

#3 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

If the English (or German) version of the original language cards are banned then I for one wouldn't want to participate.

#4 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hi community members,

theres an upcoming local tournament this month and all Netrunner cards aside from german cards are not allowed to take part in it.

This store is part of one of the Heidelberger flagship-stores and people starting to call out a boycott for this event.

what do you think ?

The English version of the text is the official text. Banning the English version of the cards is, at best, nonsense.

• Internutt and skipper.pickle like this

#5 Renderer32

Renderer32

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Question.. Can I use german or french or polish Cards at tournaments in the US? Especially a tournament for beginners?

#6 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

I was under the impression that cards from any language were legal so long as you had the official text available.  I would assume the burden would lie on that player to bring the necessary supplements.

• Internutt likes this

#7 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Question.. Can I use german or french or polish Cards at tournaments in the US? Especially a tournament for beginners?

Absolutely. I've never heard of anyone banning them before.

#8 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:38 AM

In Germany, an entirely different company handles translations/distribution. I guess what the German store is trying to ensure by the rule is that you are supporting the German release of the game as that is more important to the store's and the game itself's future health/support.

Of course, like MtG, you can play international cards if you choose, just so long as the player understands the cards affects in their own language there should be no issues.

Edited by Internutt, 08 November 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#9 fgerken

fgerken

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

The german distributor does not ban foreign cards from their tourneys. But they only allow the use of cards that are also available in german.

Banning all foreign cards is a decision by the store itself.

• Justicex75 likes this

http://deckbauer.telfador.net/ - Deckbuilder and Card list for The Lord of the Rings, A Game of Thrones, Android: Netrunner and Star Wars.
At Google+ and Facebook

#10 Jose-san

Jose-san

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

FWIW I play in my local tournaments (Valencia, Spain) with English cards. Nobody ever complained.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS