Tales from Dunwich

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

I believe that I've read Session Reports from Avi or other notable players who highlighted the use of Time Bomb to destroy the Dunwich Horror.  Again, as I work with attorneys, I would not have a particular interpretation hinge on the wording of cards we all know have innumerable flaws.  "Return monsters to the cup" much like "Return to Arkham" is short-hand to trigger many other rules or conditions in the game. 

Bottom Line:  The Dunwich Monster is a Monster...Time Bomb defeats monsters...on my table, it works.

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 08 November 2013 - 06:33 AM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#22 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:32 AM

So, beware you could have Leo Anderson's ability misprinted (it's once per turn, not once per game) and congrats if you have the Py-chic Jacq!

My copy of Leo Anderson says "once per turn." My Dunwich is one of the latest batch of reprints, so I would expect it come with corrected cards and sheets anyway.

• Julia likes this

#23 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

Ok, google helped. Both ColtsFan and Dam agree you cannot time bomb the Horror

And I'm really really happy with this one :devil:

• Lee418 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#24 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Point is that the wording on the card is ambiguous, but by looking at the nature of Spawn monsters, it's a good thing you cannot clear them away in this way. They have too a huge impact on the game (triggering new defeat conditions, and so on) to allow beating them in this way.

I had strongly mixed feelings about this one, but I'm happy with the general answer given by Brian and Rauli

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#25 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

Point is that the wording on the card is ambiguous, but by looking at the nature of Spawn monsters, it's a good thing you cannot clear them away in this way. They have too a huge impact on the game (triggering new defeat conditions, and so on) to allow beating them in this way.

I had strongly mixed feelings about this one, but I'm happy with the general answer given by Brian and Rauli

That's that sorted then. Damn! :P I thought I had discovered a devious loop hole in the rules. But actually I am glad you can't get rid of the Horror so easily.

Oh and I spoke too soon about Jacqueline. She's not a Psychic or even a Pychic. She's a Phychic! :o  

If anyone asks I'm going to bluff it and say she's a cross between a Physicist an a Psychic. :lol:

Edited by Lee418, 08 November 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#26 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Always better than being a Psy-chick, I'd say!

(at least, they had Leo fixed...)

#27 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

You have all made me reconsider my position on Time Bomb...thanks!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#28 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

Tomorrow is the big day. My first trip to Dunwich. :)

I've decided to pick two random investigators from the core set, and two at random from the new Dunwich set.

Here goes.....

First up is Michael McGlen. Not bad. :D

Next is Dexter Drake. <_<  He's a bit of a lemon really. I think I'm missing Mandy already. :lol:

First of the new guys is Wilson Richards. Looks interesting. Jack of All Trades and Odd Jobs look like they might come in handy.

And last but not least, Diana Stanley. Oooohhh.... I like the look of Dark Insight. And she's the only one of the four who starts with clue tokens!

• Julia likes this

#29 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Enjoy Dunwich Lee! You have an eclectic party, and an awesome game. Can't wait to read the report :)

#30 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

First of the new guys is Wilson Richards. Looks interesting. Jack of All Trades and Odd Jobs look like they might come in handy.

And the Shotgun will be VERY handy :lol:

Diana is great, I love her. She's a regenerating clue machine, plus she doesn't have bad stats. One of my favorites.

Julia, I tried playing the Shapeless Mouths, with Cthugha as AO, Lurker gates, DH, LatT and MH in play and a randomly chosen party consisting of Rita, Harvey, Lily, Vincent and George. Harvey and Lily shared the Mystic Knights Relationship, and Harvey was lucky to start with Arcane Insight while Lily had Forced Learning...she finished the game with something like 4-5 Skills.

Pictures from the Setup.

I wasn't exactly crushed...although at the end almost all investigators had 2+ Injuries/Madnesses. It's just that the game slowed to a stop, because there were SO many monsters parading around, especially in Dunwich. For the first time I felt the monster bag noticeably lighter, because there was a flood of monsters in Dunwich. Vincent was devoured by a duplicate Madness (after having passed his story) and Joe was drawn to replace him. Then, when Lily was Devoured by reaching 0 maximum Stamina by the Dunwich Horror (it had the "If you fail the Combat Check lower your maximum Stamina by 1", and she only rolled 6 of the needed 7 successes on her first roll. I persisted and she was lost) I decided it was hopeless and forfeited the game. There was no way I could get past the monsters guarding each and every gate in Dunwich. The doom track barely moved during the whole game, thanks to the constant surges. I managed to put down 2 seals, but both were removed a turn later by a Cultist moving into a vortex...

Hopeless, maddeningly hopeless :P

Edited by Tox, 10 November 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#31 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Tox, first of all, thanks for trying this :) And reporting the game :) So sorry for your loss!

A couple of things:

a) the Herald wasn't designed with Miskatonic in mind. I guess it's difficult enough even without MH Mythos in the mix (plus MH increases Dunwich activities too much)

b) you should consider preselect characters when playing similar challenges. Even if Harvey, Lily and Rita could be ok, having George and Vincent in the mix reads automatic loss

c) interesting that the doom track was somehow frozen. Thanks for reporting this

Anyhoo, I hope you like the game, even if it was somehow brutal!

#32 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

At approx 9:45pm GMT Arkham, Dunwich, and the entire planet were destroyed by Azathoth. :o

Full report to follow....

#33 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Ups...

So, ok, the difficulty increased. Mission accomplished :cool:

#34 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Ups...

So, ok, the difficulty increased. Mission accomplished :cool:

I was very close to winning. Late in the game Diana Stanely was in the second portion of Yuggoth, ready to return and seal the Unvisited Isle for victory. And then a gate burst happened and everything took a turn for the worse. :rolleyes:

Dexter was straight in to the City of the Great Race. But the Dunwich Horror filled the doom track and it was game over.

By the way a Claustrophobic and Agrophobic Michael McGlen is an ........... experience! :o  :lol:  

• Tox likes this

#35 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:15 AM

Boards: AH + DH

Azathoth versus Michael McGlen, Dexter Drake, Wilson Richards, and Diana Stanley.

Gate opens: Witch House.

1) Michael wastes a Zombie in the French Hill Streets, while Dexter takes a Magick lesson. Wilson catches a train to Dunwich and Diana takes a tumble at the Black Cave and suffers Memory Loss. 

Gate opens: The Unnamable.

2) Everyone clue hoovering. Woods, Devil's Hopyard, Silver Twilight Lodge, Hibb's.

Gate opens: Wizards Hill 

3) Diana enters the gate at the Witch House.

Gate opens: Gardners' Place. Wilson Richards drawn through but with only 3 clue tokens.

4) Diana mugged by a Dark Youngster in the OW. LiTaS.

Monster Surge.

5) Michael takes a trip to Dunwich to grab 3 clues at Cold Spring Glen and then gets trapped by difficult monsters. Dexter defeats a Dark Youngster at the Unnameable and enters the gate to R'lyeh.

Gate opens: The Graveyard.

6) Wilson returns to Dunwich from the OW and kills a Spectral Hunter. Diana returns from LiTaS and indulges herself in a bit of retail therapy at the General Store. Meanwhile Micheal is still trapped in Cold Spring Glen.

Gate opens: The Black Cave.

7) Out of desparation Wilson closes the gate at Gardners' Place. (No seal.) Diana enters the newly opened gate at the Black Cave. Dexter returns to Arkham and seals the Unnameable. Meanwhile at Cold Spring Glen Michael goes insane after a few drops of water fall on his neck. :blink:

Monster Surge.

8) Dexter sells his gate trophy. 

Gate opens: Gardeners' Place. A monster enters a vortex in Dunwich.

9) Michael enters the gate at the Graveyard. While Diana returns from the OW and seals the Black Cave.

Monster surge. A second monster enters a vortex.

10) In need of clues Dexter heads back to the Science building to spend his monster trophies.

Gate opens: The Woods.

11) Wilson evades a Formless Spawn at Gardners' Place and enters the gate. Michael returns from the OW and seals the Graveyard. Dexter enters the gate at the Woods.

Gate Opens: Silver Twilight Lodge.

12) Diana and Michael clue hoovering. Dexter and Wilson in OW's.

Monster surge.

13) Michael goes to the Science Building to spend his trophies. Diana wanders the streets. Dexter returns and seals the Woods. Meanwhile Wilson is delayed in the OW.

Monster surge. Third monster eneters a vortex and the Dunwich Horror awakens! :o

14) Wilson returns to Gardeners' Place and seals it.

Gate opens: The Unvisited Isle. Diana Stanley is sucked in. Dunwhich Horror adds a doom token.

15) Wilson, Michael, and Dexter wander around waiting for Diana to return and seal the final gate. :)

Monster surge.

16) In need of something to do Michael dispatches 3 monsters in the French Hill streets. Wilson kicks back at Harvey Jones Shack. With monsters outside Dexter loiters at the Science Building.

Gate burst at the Unnameable. Nooooooooooo!!!!! :o

17) Michael goes nuts, indoors or out, and Diana returns and seals the Unvisited Isle. So close.  :rolleyes:  

No gate. Graveyard sealed. Dunwich Horror adds another doom token. 

18) With the way clear Dexter sprints to the Silver Twilight Lodge and enters the gate.

Gate opens: Hibb's Roadhouse. Dunwich Horror adds the final doom token and awakens Azathoth.   

Edited by Lee418, 11 November 2013 - 06:19 AM.

• The Professor and Tox like this

#36 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

Very, very long game. Out of the bat, I'd say you had some really bad luck especially during turn 18: both a minor location opening and a doom token added by the DH (who added 3 doomer in 5 turns: not exactly a lucky streak). Clearly, something should have been done better (controlling monsters in Dunwich - you can't let them enter vortices; not defeating the Dunwich Horror as soon as it woke up - it's basically a huge Mi-Go giving you the ES, so that if you need only one seal, it's the guy to kill: bless a character, stockpile weapons on him and go for the victory!).

Still, I hope you enjoyed the inreased difficulty in the game. While core Arkham allowed to lazy sit on the docks, fishing monster corpses and enjoying the autumnal sun on the Miskatonic river, now you have to push to win!

#37 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Maybe I was a little unlucky towards the end, but I think the game got off to a bad start anyway. Wilson was swallowed by a gate on turn 3 and could not seal it on his return. And Diana was LiTaS on turn 4. After that I was always playing catch up. Two investigators out of action like that equals a big chunk of time gone and nothing to show for it.

Initially I did try to control the monsters in Dunwich, but after a while it became impossible. And with the limited resources I had I never even contemplated an assault on the Dunwich Horror. If I had tried it would have been a suicide mission that would have wasted even more time.

Despite all of that I still enjoyed the game though. :)

#38 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

So I guess this means that the Horror's father was really Azathoth after all? :lol:

A 3-sanity Michael losing 1 sanity every turn is not a sight I want to see in a game! You should have retired him as soon as you got the 2nd Madness!

#39 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

A 3-sanity Michael losing 1 sanity every turn is not a sight I want to see in a game! You should have retired him as soon as you got the 2nd Madness!

If it had happened earlier in the game I would have retired him immediately. But it was the 17th turn and things were looking hopeless anyway.

Even though it was my first game with them, I quite like the Injury and Madness cards. Drawing them seems much better than losing clues and items all the time.

#40 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, wait until you get the "Blurred Vision" Injury... ;)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS