Expansions - in what order?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Achillesjg

Achillesjg

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:48 AM

I'm interested in coming back to Talisman, after playing it back in the 80's.

So, I'm going to buy the Revised 4th Edition, but what's next?

What order do the currently available fall? Which would I buy first? 

#2 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

If you buy the expansions in the order they were issued by FFG, you're not doing anything wrong. Each expansion adds a layer of complexity to the game and completes an aspect of the game that was lacking something.

The only expansion that should be bought only if you are looking for a different Talisman game is the Dragon Expansion. It adds a lot of great material but does not mix with the rest in the usual way, so you have to be aware of this.

Also the Blood Moon expansion adds elements to the game that must be used together, so you can't for example use Blood Moon Adventure cards and Spells without using the Time card.

Edited by The_Warlock, 04 November 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#3 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

It depends on if your a completest and if you prefer long drawn out games where players build their characters and explore more than try to win.

I play both styles, but since I now own both the 2nd edition and the 4th edition. I plan on keeping the 4th edition to a balanced game shorter game play.

With this in mind, one realizes that the Highland expansion plays about the same level as the Outer region but with a bit more encounters and adds more gold to the game. A main reason for me to not get this expansion.

Many people do not like the Dragon expansion it changes the game drastically in play style and can make the game very difficult killing players. So I also don't have that expansion.

I would like to say friends of mine do own all the expansions so I have played them all.

I also decided I do not like the mechanics and gimmicky game play of Blood Moon, even tho I always have been a fan of werewolves. This expansion left a blah flavor with me.

So those 3 expansions are on my "no thanks" list.

As for the others, I really like the Reaper expansion. This adds a small flavor and change to the game, the Reaper, as well as more cards.

I used to say City was my favorite board expansion, but now having owned it and explored it more, I say the 2nd edition City is better, but we aren't talking 2nd edition here. So I would say its a toss up between City and Dungeon for big expansions with a board.

The City adds a lot of flavor and power up abilities if one has gold. The Dungeon is a more higher up level place to explore.

Many people also really like Sacred Pool, its on list to get next and don't own it. Tho as I said I have played it. But not enough to review it.

Frostmarch like the other small expansions, add more nice cards to the game. I own it, and would say it just extends the general game play of the main board.

So in review, what you get depends on your finances, what you want your game play to be like.

If your a completest and must get your expansions slowly I recommend this possible order:

1. Reaper or Frostmarch depending on if you prefer more of the basic Talisman feel or a nice new addition to game play.

2. The one left out above or skip to 3 and do this 3rd

3. Dungeon or City. If you have gotten Reaper already, you may want Dungeon next, for more extended Talisman feel, If you have gotten Frostmarch and not Reaper, you may want City next to change the play of the game.

4. The one left out above.

5. Sacred Pool

6. Highland or Blood Moon depending on if you prefer an lengthy game by making the board bigger, or more cards or the changed play style of Blood Moon

7. The one left out above

8. Dragon

And of coarse if you don't want all sets, just follow the same advice and leave out the ones listed last.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#4 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

IMO:

1> Reaper (great extra cards, crap optional reaper figure)

2> Frostmarch (nice extra cards - new quest cards)

3> Highland (low-mid range beasties, trinkets and lots of items, 1 in 4 chance of easily getting to crown if kill boos at the end)

4> Dungeon (mid-high beasties, not as many items, killing boss means you can easily get to CoC with item)

5> Sacred Pool (stables which rarely come up, quest rewards, 'alignment' theme)

6> Blood moon (nice day/night mechanic, horror theme, crap optional werewolf figure)

7> City (little broken, but nice additiion) 

8> Dragon (optional - grab a token every turn mechanic as well as others.  You'll play it once and put it away)

#5 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

buy_all.jpg

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#6 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

buy_all.jpg

Not everyone can afford them. And if I could, I wouldn't use them all. I would use very little of the Dragon expansion, Blood Moon, and Highland.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#7 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

I think most of us agree that the Dragon Rules as written just spoil the whole expansion! Luckily there are several house rules available which resolve this issue.

Ell.

• rfisha likes this

#8 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

I think most of us agree that the Dragon Rules as written just spoil the whole expansion! Luckily there are several house rules available which resolve this issue.

Ell.

Completely agree.  I own them all and even though some have there quirks, I will still always play with them every game with the exception of Dragon.  We never play it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS