Voice of Saruman expectations

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

The forums seem a bit dead without some sort of spoilers, so I was just wondering.. What are you guys looking forward to in the Voice of Saruman? What do you think should be included? Personally, I'd really like it if they emphasized Tactics (I know, Heirs of Numenor already did that) and Spirit, since they are the Rohan spheres. I'd really like it if they somehow made Tactics a plausible option in solo play. Maybe they could build on the Legolas trend with cards putting progress directly on the quest. That way, Tactics could still maintain their fighting abilities, but also able to play mono-sphere. What do you guys think?

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#2 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

I expect some cards that boost up Rohan and offcourse Elves ... but since we have at least one Isenguard card (The guard) , it will be interesting to wait and see if this could develop in a new trait

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#3 Jekzer

Jekzer

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

Not Voice of Saruman, but Voice of Isengard (as it's the name of the deluxe expansion  :P ), but I am with Nickpes, they can exploit now the Isengard trait, along with some elven love. We've seen some images of elves (new Gildor? new Arwen?) so if the cycle explores several zones of Rohan and whereabouts (like Fangorn forest, Lothlórien), we can see them.

And of course, the martial force of the Rohirrim!

I am more curious if we're going to see new player card mechanics aside from Doomed X. Every cycle since Dwarrowdelf has developed one (secrecy, mono-sphere decks), we'll see if there's a new one of if it's the new Doomed.

#4 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

I believe the doomed cards will be the new mechanics. It will likely make Lore Aragorn and Spirit Glorfindel even better.

I would like to see more Elves, something to give them a combining feel. Not like Dwarves or Outlands, they were rather unfortunate, I think, but more reasons for having more Elves in one deck.

Of course Rohirrim, they have got a lot of cards already so all they need is a trick or two to bring some of the older cards back to spotlight.

I am not very fond of seeing an Isengard trait. Whilst it is intriguing in a way, I do not think it is worth investing (card slots) into a faction like that. I would much rather see more Bardings or Beornings (though not particularly in this expansion).

#5 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:55 AM

i would like to see the return of secrecy to combo with the doomed trait. and as in my other threads a cavalry charge mechanic that can destroy infantry pretty easily

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#6 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

I believe that if we do not have a cavarly charge mechanic now, there wont be (ok, maybe on the LORT Saga that has the Pelennor Fields in) . Rohan means cavalry, so it should be their moment 

Lord of all Noldor

#7 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Good points about the cavalry Rich and Nick. I also hope there will be cards supporting Mounts, because the Horse coming in Morgul Vale is just a terrible, terrible card without synergies. I have always hated wasted card slots.

#8 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

I just cannot imagine there wont be an attachment to allow theoden to play any rohan card regardless of sphaire ... It would be stupid

Lord of all Noldor

#9 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

It could be an event card named "forth eorlingas" that could be played when Theoden is in game and would give +2 attack to all rohan characters till the end of the round

Lord of all Noldor

#10 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

@Jekzer: Haha, totally forgot that. I knew Voice of Saruman sounded wrong... :)

I agree with everything, I really hope there are mount cards. Some sort of general mount would be cool, that could attach to anybody to give them an attack boost or something. Also, that Forth Eorlingas idea is cool... They already have a bunch of other events that relate to progress and willpower, why not attack?
I like the new doomed mechanic, but it's not my favorite. They'll probably make that the main thing, which is fine, but it would be cool if they would include all these other great ideas.
@richsabre: What would the cavalry mechanic entail? Would everyone need some sort of mount to do it?

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#11 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

@richsabre: What would the cavalry mechanic entail? Would everyone need some sort of mount to do it?

yes- i was thinking specific ally cards, with the potential to have a mount that gives the trait.

the trait could do something like Cavalry X

'when character attactks spend x resources to lower the defense of defending enemy by X

therefore better cards would have a higher base stat of X letting standard horsemen have perhaps 1 and elite 3 or 4. this way it means you havea good mechanic but its not overpowered because you not only need the card in play, you also need to pay the resources for it

hopefully it would show the devastating effects of a cavalry charge. i mean there's a big difference between infantry and mounted combat, and this game so far makes little distinction- i think its a good time for the designers to play around with the idea (also it would be cool if the mechanic did not work against pikemen.....as anyone unfortunate enough to charge into a phalanx on a horse will know its not the best idea :) )

rich

Edited by richsabre, 04 November 2013 - 05:25 PM.

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#12 camacazio

camacazio

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

I always thought Dunhere was a wonderful representation of the advantages of mounted combat. We've seen too much stuff with archery that can replace him to make that distinct, though. I also still like that Riddermark's Finest is a creature rather than attachment, I would like to see more thinking along those lines.

Edited by camacazio, 05 November 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#13 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

I don't think we will see any sort of cavarly type mechanic in this expansion. Save that for a Rohan focused expansion, or maybe a future saga. This one seems to be focused on knowledge and the influence of evil and corruption as represented by the Doomed keyword, with a few Rohan and Elves splashes here and there. I could be wrong though, who would've guessed when HoN came out that the next cycle would be all about Outlands?

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#14 timbolton

timbolton

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Voice of Saruman - as long as we don't get

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zUcsRjyIKMI

I'll be ok ;)

"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."

#15 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Haha. I saw that recently! So funny! And I also really like that idea of the cavalry mechanic, but I have to agree with Gizlivadi. I'm not sure we'll see much Rohirrim/horse related things in this expansion, as it deals mainly with Saruman.

#16 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

You all talking about cavalry must be very happy now, when Rohan Warhorse is known.

Hmm, my idea for Cavalry:
Cavalry character gains +1 ATK for each other cavalry character commited to attack while attacking a non-cavalry enemy.

This mechanic shows the massive power of group cavalry attacks.
[sorry for my bad english, I am from Slovakia]

#17 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Damned, Scroll Lock, you are from Slovakia as well? That's quite unexpected.

/offtopic

#18 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Why is it unexpected? :D

#19 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

How many Slovaks have you met here? Or on other international sites, for that matter?

I haven't met any, therefore I don't expect it. :)

Edited by klaymen_sk, 12 November 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#20 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

Yes! I for one am very happy. I hope we see more mounts. Maybe one for each sphere... That would be interesting. We have a Spirit and a Tactics, I wonder what the other spheres' mounts would do.. The Leadership mount could do something along the lines of "Exhaust mount and attached hero to give every ally you control +1 Attack. Play only if all heroes you control are Leadership."
That could symbolize some sort of cavalry/charge mechanic, in the sense that the hero rides out and leads the allies to battle. And it would encourage mono-sphere. The Lore mount could do something with Rangers or Dunedain. It could do almost the reverse, and instead give the ranger characters more defense, to symbolize that they can get away and flee from their enemies faster. So many possibilities!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS