Jain Fairwood way too overpowered!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for having noticed that I was just having fun writing my post.
I don't think that I am smart.
I certainly don't say that the rulebook is an easy read.
But I do notice that most of house rules are just "gruge" rules and hardly have anything to do with good design.
Descent is far from perfection, but it is not the disaster that some people try to convince others that it is.

It was clever and funny..

#42 griton

griton

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

A knight's Oath of Honor teleports her in the chosen square, cannot be stopped, cannot be targeted by a pit trap in the landing square (she did not enter it, she was placed in it), cannot anything. Syndrael will be able to recover fatigue because she did not move - she was placed! It might even be flavorful with a character like Tomble (hide in the shadows and reappear suddenly and in an unexpected place), but when a knight does it's another headscratcher.

This isn't correct. "Placing" does still count as "entering a space", so something like Pit Trap can be used. Just as it can be used after a figure is Thrown. Trip Wire can not be used because it is not entering a space "during a move action". Syndrael can NOT recover fatigue because she DID move, it just wasn't done using a move action.

Remember that taking a "move action" and "moving" are separate (albeit very related) things. You can actually take a move action and not move. Example: Syndrael could take a move action to trade items (because trading items can only be done during a move action) and not spend any of her movement points on changing which square she was in, and then still recover fatigue. FFG has clarified that if she changes which square she is in during her turn (regardless of method or if she ends up in the same space she started in, that she can not activate her hero ability).

For Pits, if you move on them, you still fall down them and need to take a climb action to get out.  It doesn't end your action, but it still prevents you from getting out of it. 

He was referring to the Pit Trap overlord card, which does not require climbing out of. This is different than entering "Pit Spaces" which are printed on the board. 

#43 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

He was referring to the Pit Trap overlord card, which does not require climbing out of. This is different than entering "Pit Spaces" which are printed on the board. 

I was referencing the pit terrain squares because the post I was replying to stated that actions that create movement but are not move actions ignore the penalties from terrain. 

Edited by C2K, 12 November 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#44 No Hero

No Hero

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

A knight's Oath of Honor teleports her in the chosen square, cannot be stopped, cannot be targeted by a pit trap in the landing square (she did not enter it, she was placed in it), cannot anything. Syndrael will be able to recover fatigue because she did not move - she was placed! It might even be flavorful with a character like Tomble (hide in the shadows and reappear suddenly and in an unexpected place), but when a knight does it's another headscratcher.

This isn't correct. "Placing" does still count as "entering a space", so something like Pit Trap can be used. Just as it can be used after a figure is Thrown. Trip Wire can not be used because it is not entering a space "during a move action". Syndrael can NOT recover fatigue because she DID move, it just wasn't done using a move action.

Remember that taking a "move action" and "moving" are separate (albeit very related) things. You can actually take a move action and not move. Example: Syndrael could take a move action to trade items (because trading items can only be done during a move action) and not spend any of her movement points on changing which square she was in, and then still recover fatigue. FFG has clarified that if she changes which square she is in during her turn (regardless of method or if she ends up in the same space she started in, that she can not activate her hero ability).

For Pits, if you move on them, you still fall down them and need to take a climb action to get out.  It doesn't end your action, but it still prevents you from getting out of it. 

Okay, I am fairly sure I read somewhere, probably on bgg, that it's the exact contrary - being placed does not count as entering a square, and being removed and replaced does not count as moving.

Oh nevermind I dug up an older post that says I'm mistaken. someone must have got it wrong...

Man it would be really REALLY nice to have all this **** compiled in the FAQ, instead of having to dig in the forum like this

#45 DeeJay507

DeeJay507

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

It is funny how you mentioned the Jain is Overpowered, because I agree on this, but not for the reasons you posted :)

Danger Sense is OP. This single card, for a cost of 1 xp, will make a lot of quests A LOT easier. This is the card that eliminates the need for rush. Without it, it is always a tough choice for the heroes during encounter 1. A lot of scenarios requires the overlord to have certain cards on hand when going to encounter 2. Sometimes it is so vital, that OL will not care about winning the 1st encounter. I had a lot of situations where hereos were delaying the finish of encounter 1. They just waited for Danger Sense to discard the crucial cards. 

This single ability changes the core concept of some quests where the time works in favor of the Overlord to time working in favor of Heroes. 

#46 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

It is funny how you mentioned the Jain is Overpowered, because I agree on this, but not for the reasons you posted :)

Danger Sense is OP. This single card, for a cost of 1 xp, will make a lot of quests A LOT easier. This is the card that eliminates the need for rush. Without it, it is always a tough choice for the heroes during encounter 1. A lot of scenarios requires the overlord to have certain cards on hand when going to encounter 2. Sometimes it is so vital, that OL will not care about winning the 1st encounter. I had a lot of situations where hereos were delaying the finish of encounter 1. They just waited for Danger Sense to discard the crucial cards. 

This single ability changes the core concept of some quests where the time works in favor of the Overlord to time working in favor of Heroes. 

I think you mean Wildlander is overpowered, not Jain.  I can have any scout use Danger Sense if I take the Wildlander discipline.  In fact, I think Roganna is one of the strongest candidates for the Wildlander discipline because her Heroic ability works really well with ranged weaponry. 

Edited by C2K, 16 November 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#47 DeeJay507

DeeJay507

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

I think you mean Wildlander is overpowered, not Jain.  I can have any scout use Danger Sense if I take the Wildlander discipline.  In fact, I think Roganna is one of the strongest candidates for the Wildlander discipline because her Heroic ability works really well with ranged weaponry. 

Well,  yes.

Actually every scout is overpowered because of Danger Sense :) 

• Light Bright likes this

#48 kerred

kerred

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

As a quick report, I am playing a 2 player Reynarth Champion and Jain/Thief campaign.

So far the two heroes have lost The Masquerade Ball and the Lair of the Wyrm rumor (forgot name, involves a burning in).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS