Flight to the ford question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

From what i understand, even if not on campaign mode i have to create a burden deck. All of these cards have surge, but does this surge comes from the burden deck? I assume not, i believe it comes from encounter deck, but i would like the clarification in order to play it

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#2 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well if you did surge from the Burden deck and all of the cards had surge then you would strip the deck the first time you had to reveal a burden right? I played the surge from the Event deck.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#3 koriakin97

koriakin97

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

Surge applies only if the card was revealed during setup or staging step and it makes you reveal additional card from encounter deck. You also don't reveal card from surge when traveling to last bridge or from similar effect outside staging step.

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Surge applies only if the card was revealed during setup or staging step and it makes you reveal additional card from encounter deck. You also don't reveal card from surge when traveling to last bridge or from similar effect outside staging step.

wasnt this errated as different in the recent FAQ so that it triggered any time it is revealed from the encounter deck?

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#5 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

The Surge on the Burden cards applies to the Encounter deck, since you are told to shuffle the Burden cards into the encounter deck and when you reveal them during staging, you are meant to draw another card from the encounter deck. Like Bullroarer Took said you'd finish the entire burden deck in one turn if it were they other way around.

Edited by Djenni, 03 November 2013 - 09:25 AM.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#6 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

thought so, but wanted to be sure. Thanks guys  :)

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#7 koriakin97

koriakin97

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Rich is right, it was errated (1.01, encounter deck keywords)

#8 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

Actually, the way the rules are written, the "surge" would not trigger at all, from either deck. According to the FAQ entry and original rulebook, "surge" resolves when the card is revealed from the encounter deck. Since the burden cards are being revealed from their own deck, and not the encounter deck, then the surge won't trigger. The reason they have surge on them is that they can get shuffled into the encounter deck for this quest and/or future quests, and the surge will activate when they are revealed from the encounter deck. This one definitely made me pause a bit and have to look up all the associated rules before it became clear.

Edited by Raven1015, 03 November 2013 - 12:33 PM.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#9 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

Actually, the way the rules are written, the "surge" would not trigger at all, from either deck. According to the FAQ entry and original rulebook, "surge" resolves when the card is revealed from the encounter deck. 

I think the only card that reveals a burden directly from the burden deck is The Last Bridge.  All other effects shuffle them into the deck as you mentioned.

The Last Bridge uses this language "resolve that card as if it were just revealed from the encounter deck."  Surge would trigger, then.  

Edited by GrandSpleen, 03 November 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#10 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Actually, the way the rules are written, the "surge" would not trigger at all, from either deck. According to the FAQ entry and original rulebook, "surge" resolves when the card is revealed from the encounter deck. 

I think the only card that reveals a burden directly from the burden deck is The Last Bridge.  All other effects shuffle them into the deck as you mentioned.

The Last Bridge uses this language "resolve that card as if it were just revealed from the encounter deck."  Surge would trigger, then.  

You're completely right. For some reason, I thought I remembered there being cards that actually reveal burdens from the burden deck, but that is not the case. I might have been thinking of the discard pile issue, where cards with surge revealed from the discard pile don't trigger the keyword.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS