72 replies to this topic

#61 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:15 AM

whats the drunken shark?

http://teamcovenant....-shark-opening/

It's an opening set up I devised to be flexible and unpredictable. But I think that's what I'm going to call my Worlds squad, posted above.

• Mikael Hasselstein likes this
The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#62 atr127

atr127

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:41 AM

That brings up an interesting point.  Assuming an 8-tie swarm, what do you prefer for the last four points?  A pair of TCs?  A Hull Upgrade/Shield Upgrade on a random AP?  Something else?

I'm not sure. I considered taking "Dark Curse", But I like the ability to order my moves as I need to to prevent collisions and 'Domino TIEs' of movements gone wrong. I'll probably stick with TCs for now.

i use Dark Curse in my 8 Tie Swarm.  instead of putting him in a formation i will often use a group of 4, a group of 3 and then DC slightly away from the three.  seems to work pretty well.

"There were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident"

#63 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

No post is fun without pretty pics so...

Jake Farrel diving in behind the remainder of the Tie Bombers who, damaged as they were by a wave of 4 prototype A-wings trying to save the Transport, started their suicidal bombing run on the "Dutyfree"

Awesome pic (IMO) Really cinematic. :)

10734129_10152824873880610_5688901970068

That so brings back memories of the X-Wing series.   I know when I jumped into that position I wanted to be loaded with missiles which I could dumb fire into a Bomber and point blank range.  Lasers would take longer than I often had but going for the target lock first would just cause that Bomber to take evasive action making it harder to take out the squadron quickly!

• Elkerlyc likes this

#64 phild0

phild0

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

One of my favorites is:

Sacrifice the Bomber!

Howlrunner

Academy Pilot x 5

Scimitar Squadron Pilot + APT (or Assault Missiles)

100pts

Put the scimitar front and center of your swarm, learn how to mix the bombers 3 turn in with the ties 1 turns, and you've got a squad that is quite painful to deal with. Do you ignore the bomber and go for howl even though he's target locked your Wedge? Usually the Bomber is targeted, which is okay, since Howlrunner is the REAL key to victory, and PS1 action denial :P

Or, my favorite Swarm + 30-34 pt flanker:

Buzzard Swarm

Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics

Academy Pilot x 4

Omicron Group Pilot + FCS + Gunner + Engine

That's a big, tough to kill gun that plays the flanker roll. It can stall for multiple turns while it hammers away with the FCS + Gunner combo, or you can boost away for another pass while your ties mop up. Usual end game came down to 2 Ties and the shuttle left vs 1 enemy ship. I created this list to deal with Biggs; the super accurate 3 dice gun really helped against him. I think I ended up with a record of 32-5 with this list before I started playing other things. I might put Tactician or Rebel Captive on the shuttle in this meta, MAYBE dropping Engine upgrade. Gotta make it tough for Phantoms, after all. And heck, Swarm Tactics is probably unnecessary nowadays.

#65 phild0

phild0

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:23 PM

Also, Proximity Mine Swarm:

Howlrunner + VI

Academy Pilot x 2

Scimitar + Proximity Mine x 3

100pts

Blast the Falcons with lasers. Drop mines on the Phantoms. Hopefully avoid an Etahn Swarm. Profit.

#66 catachanninja

catachanninja

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:39 PM

whats the drunken shark?

http://teamcovenant....-shark-opening/

It's an opening set up I devised to be flexible and unpredictable. But I think that's what I'm going to call my Worlds squad, posted above.

Do you use drunken shark as your opening exclusively now? Or do you still mix in boxs/death blossoms
Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

#67 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

It's hard to say what's the 'best possible', but the builds that I'd identify as pure swarms (as in, only TIE Fighters) that placed in order in the top 32  are the following:

• Howlrunner; Dark Curse; Black + DtF; 2x Obsidan, 2x Academy Pilot (Keith Wilson)
  • Howlrunner + VI + Hull Upgrade; 2x Black Squadron Pilot + Draw Their Fire; 4x Academy Pilot (Dallas Parker)
  • Howlrunner; Backstabber; 2x Obsidian; 3x Academy (Iain Hamp)
  • Howlrunner; Backstabber; Black Squadron Pilot + Draw Their Fire; 3x Obsidian Squadron Pilot; Academy Pilot (Doug Kinney)
  • Howlrunner + PtL; 6x Obsidian (Patrick Wilcox)
  • Howlrunner; Backstabber; 5x Obsidian (Nick Jones)

They've all got Howl, and are 7 TIEs strong. Black+DtF is really popular, as is Backstabber.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein, 09 November 2014 - 12:37 AM.

#68 HoundsTooth

HoundsTooth

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:02 AM

There are a lot of swarms, and all have strengths and weaknesses.

Howl + Stealth (to deter attacking her)

6 Obsidian (avoid predator)

Nice simple swarm. Run formations and attack in mass.

Howl+stealth

Nightbeast

Gundark

Backstabber

Darkcurse

Mauler

1 less ship, but a lot more power and a better spread of pilot skill.  Less dependant on the formation as each has it's own specialty.  Still want to keep them fairly close for Howl's ability though.

Yes, I know hull is mathmatically superior to stealth, but hull points don't deter attacks, where the stealth may make the enemy attempt to target someone else.

The 4 academy, 4 obsidian used to be pretty effective, but with predator around, I'd be a little careful with those academy pilots.

I really like the idea of the 'elite' TIE swarm (mainly because I only have six TIEs!). What are peoples thoughts on swapping out Winged Gundark for a Black Squadron Pilot with Draw Their Fire for the same points? Thinking that it would provide an extra layer of protection for Howlrunner.

#69 Rumar

Rumar

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

8 Academies. I don't believe in Howlrunner. Howlrunner has the disadvantage to need a tight formation. You don't want that restriction with assault missiles around. Howlrunner is easily taken out in the first at best the second round with concentrated fire.

8 Academies have all the same pilot skill. This means you can choose the order in which they fly and in which they shoot, which is in my experience a huge tactical advantage.

#70 HoundsTooth

HoundsTooth

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

I like the 'balanced' lists where everyone has the same pilot skill... 2 x Red Squadron and 2 x Dagger Squadron Is a cool list where all the ships have PS4. I like the idea of eight Academy TIE's but I'm two short! Has anyone run into problems with lists running Predator? I could see that being nasty against an all PS1 list.

#71 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

I like 3 x Obsidian, Dark Curse and 3 x Black Squadron with VI

Fly them in two groups who can support each other. I've been playing a slight variant in our NoVA league and I am impressed with it.

I don't think I like Howlrunner that much as she is target #1 and so rarely gets to provide her benefit for long...

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#72 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

That brings up an interesting point.  Assuming an 8-tie swarm, what do you prefer for the last four points?  A pair of TCs?  A Hull Upgrade/Shield Upgrade on a random AP?  Something else?

Backstabber. Always take backstabber.

And I enjoyed the doomshuttle subbed in for 2 academies for awhile. It really teaches the mechanics of the self bump and gets you flying a shuttle. Howlrunner makes it hit surprisingly hard and who cares if it draws hate fire! It has more HP than 3 ties for the price of 2.

#73 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

Backstabber. Always take backstabber.

And I enjoyed the doomshuttle subbed in for 2 academies for awhile. It really teaches the mechanics of the self bump and gets you flying a shuttle. Howlrunner makes it hit surprisingly hard and who cares if it draws hate fire! It has more HP than 3 ties for the price of 2.

I disagree.  If you face another TIE swarm, you now won't have initiative.  Moving first and shooting first is a massive advantage and a 7 or 8 strong swarm will destroy the other through causing bumps and action denial if they have the initiative.

I like the 8 strong swarm, but just run them all as Academies.

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS