Best possible TIE Swarm at 100 points?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

even without howlrunner, the cheap redundancy that academy ties offer is very powerful. at close range they can really dish out a lot of damage - rerolls or not.

tie-bombers add an interesting variant for tie-swarms, even wout ordinance they r good.

this squad was posted on another thread...

howlrunner + swarm tactics

2x scimitar squadron + proton bombs

3x academy tie

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 01 November 2013 - 09:14 PM.

• Darthfish likes this

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#22 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

even without howlrunner, the cheap redundancy that academy ties offer is very powerful. at close range they can really dish out a lot of damage - rerolls or not.

tie-bombers add an interesting variant for tie-swarms, even wout ordinance they r good.

3x academy tie

I prefer my Howlrunner with a Stealth Device and Adrenaline Rush, but otherwise I run this exact fleet.

#23 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Firstly not sure if a 5 ship squad counts as a swarm but in reply to this..

I run a 6 ship list with Howl, Mauler and BSPs:

Howlrunner + ARush +Stealth

Mauler Mithel +ARush

2x BSP + Arush

2x BSP + DTF

I will advocate AR on BSP at every turn, and have found BSP+AR superior to Night Beast. 

This Saturday I came third in a tournament of 18 players with this list

Howlrunner + SqL

Black + DTF

Scimitar + APT

Scimitar + Assault

Gamma + Concussion

I had only flown this list once before the day and that was with 3 scimitars one with a seismic otherwise the same.

with more practice I think I could have done better and the last minute change to a Gamma screwed me over a little in one game but otherwise was redundant so shouldn't have made the change.

I do think this could be bettered and have been trying to tweek it since but have no clear answer yet.

The problem I encountered was in manuevering the mix of PS 2 and 4 in the bombers so am thinking of dropping one bomber and taking two Gamma or going back to all scimitars but will post when I find a solution and will also write a battle report over next couple of days.

The one thing I liked about the 3 bombers was the mix of ordnance for all occasions a bit like a Swiss army knife.

I hope this inspires you Liz

#24 rossocinque

rossocinque

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hi...
I have just win an Italian tournament with this tie swarm... for me is the best swarm...):
Howlrunner + swarm tactics
2x black squadron + swarm tactics
2x alpha squadron
1x accademy pilot

See you
Marcello

#25 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

8x academy TIE. cant go wrong with it.

• Darthfish likes this

#26 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Howl is always worth bringing as a huge damage booster for a swarm. I also like 8 academy, though I think 7 with Howl should always be superior. I have a list called black death, which involves 2 interceptors and 4 academies. They ties screen and block. And tie interceptors blow stuff up. I am not a fan of alphas, as it is hard to use your maneuverability well with such a low PS. I just cannot see the value in that. I have traditionally run 2 sabers with VI but I need to revisit that now that access are out. To me ñ there is no point in running an interceptor with a PS of less than 6
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

All that is required for evil to prevail, is that good men do nothing. - Thomas Jefferson

#27 UKSpider

UKSpider

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

I've been having a lot of success recently with:

Buzzsaw Shuttle

Howlrunner + swarm tactics

4 x Academy TIEs

#28 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I won my local store championship with a 6 Toe swarm, all 6 named pilots with stealth device on Howlrunner. I like this list because it functions after Howlrunner dies. Most people laser focus on her and ignor Backstabber, mauler and dark, who all will ruin your day.

#29 ManOnAWire

ManOnAWire

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

After dozens of battles and several tournaments:

• I have never lost against a Rebel squad with 8x Academy Pilot (my top sixteen placement at Worlds was as much about lucking out with Rebel opponents in round 1-3 and 5 of qualifying as it was anything else)
  • I have never won against an Imperial squad with 8x Academy Pilot (Howlrunner supported squads consistently tear me to shreds)
  • I am about 50/50 when I have Howlrunner in my squad (I have not noticed this swinging dramatically depending on what upgrades I place on her to protect her)

I am not sure if this is similar to what others experience or just my own experience, but it makes a certain amount of sense since a TIE swarm is rolling two dice a lot of the time, and Rebels tend to roll a lot less green dice in response. 2v1 punches holes in ships a lot faster than 2v3, but with Howlrunner around you at least have decent odds of those two dice ending up hits a lot more of the time.

So as fun as 8x Academy is, I fly Howlrunner in almost every competitive situation if I've got enough other ships around to make her worth it (min 3 but 4-6 is more the range I look for)

Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 E-Wings, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IVGalactic Empire Peacekeepers: 11 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders<p>

#30 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

My preferred Swarm is

Named Tie Swarm

Howl + PTL + stealth

Backstabber + stealth

Nightbeast

Dark Curse

2xAP

That will soon change to:

Black Tie Swarm

Howl +elusiveness+ stealth

Backstabber

Nightbeast

Black Squad + wingman

Black Squad + oppertunist

AP

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 07 April 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#31 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

3x academy tie

im starting to look at proton bombs in a squad now. trick is to get them on a decent PS pilot so u can see where there low PS ships are. i think a large ship such as the shuttle with intel agent could be used to spy on their high PS ships dial to make placement of bombs/mines more effective.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS