Best possible TIE Swarm at 100 points?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

even without howlrunner, the cheap redundancy that academy ties offer is very powerful. at close range they can really dish out a lot of damage - rerolls or not.

tie-bombers add an interesting variant for tie-swarms, even wout ordinance they r good.

this squad was posted on another thread...

howlrunner + swarm tactics

2x scimitar squadron + proton bombs

3x academy tie

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber, 01 November 2013 - 09:14 PM.

• DraconPyrothayan and Darthfish like this

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#22 DraconPyrothayan

DraconPyrothayan

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

even without howlrunner, the cheap redundancy that academy ties offer is very powerful. at close range they can really dish out a lot of damage - rerolls or not.

tie-bombers add an interesting variant for tie-swarms, even wout ordinance they r good.

3x academy tie

I prefer my Howlrunner with a Stealth Device and Adrenaline Rush, but otherwise I run this exact fleet.

• The_Brown_Bomber likes this

#23 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Firstly not sure if a 5 ship squad counts as a swarm but in reply to this..

I run a 6 ship list with Howl, Mauler and BSPs:

Howlrunner + ARush +Stealth

Mauler Mithel +ARush

2x BSP + Arush

2x BSP + DTF

I will advocate AR on BSP at every turn, and have found BSP+AR superior to Night Beast. 

This Saturday I came third in a tournament of 18 players with this list

Howlrunner + SqL

Black + DTF

Scimitar + APT

Scimitar + Assault

Gamma + Concussion

I had only flown this list once before the day and that was with 3 scimitars one with a seismic otherwise the same.

with more practice I think I could have done better and the last minute change to a Gamma screwed me over a little in one game but otherwise was redundant so shouldn't have made the change.

I do think this could be bettered and have been trying to tweek it since but have no clear answer yet.

The problem I encountered was in manuevering the mix of PS 2 and 4 in the bombers so am thinking of dropping one bomber and taking two Gamma or going back to all scimitars but will post when I find a solution and will also write a battle report over next couple of days.

The one thing I liked about the 3 bombers was the mix of ordnance for all occasions a bit like a Swiss army knife.

I hope this inspires you Liz

#24 rossocinque

rossocinque

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hi...
I have just win an Italian tournament with this tie swarm... for me is the best swarm...):
Howlrunner + swarm tactics
2x black squadron + swarm tactics
2x alpha squadron
1x accademy pilot

See you
Marcello

#25 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

8x academy TIE. cant go wrong with it.

• voidstate and Darthfish like this

#26 Darthfish

Darthfish

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Howl is always worth bringing as a huge damage booster for a swarm. I also like 8 academy, though I think 7 with Howl should always be superior. I have a list called black death, which involves 2 interceptors and 4 academies. They ties screen and block. And tie interceptors blow stuff up. I am not a fan of alphas, as it is hard to use your maneuverability well with such a low PS. I just cannot see the value in that. I have traditionally run 2 sabers with VI but I need to revisit that now that access are out. To me ñ there is no point in running an interceptor with a PS of less than 6
  • DraconPyrothayan likes this

All that is required for evil to prevail, is that good men do nothing. - Thomas Jefferson

#27 UKSpider

UKSpider

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:12 AM

I've been having a lot of success recently with:

Buzzsaw Shuttle

Howlrunner + swarm tactics

4 x Academy TIEs

#28 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

I won my local store championship with a 6 Toe swarm, all 6 named pilots with stealth device on Howlrunner. I like this list because it functions after Howlrunner dies. Most people laser focus on her and ignor Backstabber, mauler and dark, who all will ruin your day.
  • MajorJuggler likes this

#29 ManOnAWire

ManOnAWire

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

After dozens of battles and several tournaments:

• I have never lost against a Rebel squad with 8x Academy Pilot (my top sixteen placement at Worlds was as much about lucking out with Rebel opponents in round 1-3 and 5 of qualifying as it was anything else)
  • I have never won against an Imperial squad with 8x Academy Pilot (Howlrunner supported squads consistently tear me to shreds)
  • I am about 50/50 when I have Howlrunner in my squad (I have not noticed this swinging dramatically depending on what upgrades I place on her to protect her)

I am not sure if this is similar to what others experience or just my own experience, but it makes a certain amount of sense since a TIE swarm is rolling two dice a lot of the time, and Rebels tend to roll a lot less green dice in response. 2v1 punches holes in ships a lot faster than 2v3, but with Howlrunner around you at least have decent odds of those two dice ending up hits a lot more of the time.

So as fun as 8x Academy is, I fly Howlrunner in almost every competitive situation if I've got enough other ships around to make her worth it (min 3 but 4-6 is more the range I look for)

• chilligan likes this
Rebel Scum: 3 X-Wings, 4 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 5 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 2 YT-1300, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 3 E-Wings, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Tantive IVGalactic Empire Peacekeepers: 11 TIE Fighters, 2 TIE Advanced, 9 TIE Interceptors, 6 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 4 Lambda Shuttles, 3 TIE Phantoms, 3 TIE Defenders<p>

#30 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

My preferred Swarm is

Named Tie Swarm

Howl + PTL + stealth

Backstabber + stealth

Nightbeast

Dark Curse

2xAP

That will soon change to:

Black Tie Swarm

Howl +elusiveness+ stealth

Backstabber

Nightbeast

Black Squad + wingman

Black Squad + oppertunist

AP

Edited by Rakky Wistol, 07 April 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#31 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

3x academy tie

im starting to look at proton bombs in a squad now. trick is to get them on a decent PS pilot so u can see where there low PS ships are. i think a large ship such as the shuttle with intel agent could be used to spy on their high PS ships dial to make placement of bombs/mines more effective.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#32 JustRob

JustRob

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

I wonder if this thread could be woken up again, with the advent of the fat han fat chewwie and the inevitable fat deci and fat dash list to come, how could the swarm list be revamped or tweaked to counter?

A 6 ship semi elite swarm interests me a lot......

#33 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

I'd also like the latest on Swarm tactics. I've recently become the proud owner of four more TIEs, giving a total of 9, rather than just 5.

Is the Swarm a shark list (doesn't die; doesn't evolve), or are there nuances in build and tactics that make it more survivable in the current meta?

• voidstate likes this

#34 SoulCrusherEx

SoulCrusherEx

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

if not mentioned for 8 tie fighter lsit u can build these two

dark curse + 7 academy

or

Backstabber + 7 academy 100 points total for both squads

i like to fly 6 tie swarm myself and have that kind of obsidian squadron, black squadron sheme going and so on

for example Mauler with dark curse, backstabber  and 3  black squadrons with veteran instincts ;P the ps ranges from ps 7 to ps 6

one nice solid squad ^^

Edited by SoulCrusherEx, 02 November 2014 - 05:40 PM.

• JustRob likes this

Imperium: 7 Tie Fighter, 3 Tie Advanced, 12 Tie Interceptors (4 aces boxes included) 3 Tie Bomber and 3 fire sprays, 1 Tie Defender, 2 Tie Phantom, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 1 V49 Decimator
Rebels:  1 B-wing, 1 Z-95, 2 Hwk290,
Pirates: 3 Firesprays, 3 Y- Wings, 7 z-95, 2 HWK 290

#35 JustRob

JustRob

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

I think the 6 list is a good way forward. Gives a lot of the redundancy but perhaps a little less of the unwieldily element of 8. I havent flow 8 though. From videos it seems as though they can trip over each other too easily.

The column makes the 6 seem as though it would hit hard on a first fly past. All guns pointing the same way etc........

Focus on max offence or defence? I think offence will always trump defence because the dice is better...

#36 TIE Pilot

TIE Pilot

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

I suppose it's technically a TIE swarm but it doesn't feel right referring to anything that isn't a pack of hex TIEs as a TIE swarm...

#37 Cubanboy

Cubanboy

Pending Forum Submission

• Members
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

Jonus
Bombers
Howl

This is my build.
I have ships,
Pew Pew Pew

#38 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

What about some of the tactics? With Howl, it's good to keep her in range of as many TIEs as possible, so they all get the reroll, but what about separating them out?

Also, what about jousting jaws: Flying the first flight (of 3-4) out front, with the second flight going slower, and then once the first flight has flown past the enemy, K-turning them, to catch them between the first flight and the second flight.

#39 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:13 AM

(pretty large pic incoming)

Behold the awesome beauty of massiveTie swarms!

10608461_958551687492256_733568094100931

Edited by Elkerlyc, 03 November 2014 - 01:28 PM.

• IronTau likes this

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.

#40 atr127

atr127

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:41 AM

my favourite is:

Howlrunner, Stealth

Dark Curse/Backstabber (your choice)

Black Squadron, Draw Their Fire

4x Academy Tie

it is very good because the block of 6 packs a massive punch and can joust pretty much anything, while DC or BS sneak round the flank for cheap hits.  also, with Stealth and DTF in there, howl almost always survives the opening salvo. 

i think i've gone something like 12-2 with it at various events/casual games. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS