Critical Hit "Actions"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

This is probably a stupid question or has been asked before but since there is no "search" feature on this forum, I have no way of knowing...

In a friendly game, recently, one player received a faceup Damage card (Critical Hit):

STRUCTURAL DAMAGE

Ship

Reduce your agility value by 1 (to a minimum of "0").

Action: Roll 1 attack die.  On a * (Hit) result, flip this card facedown.

My question(s): What, exactly does "Action" mean, in this case? 

Does it mean that immediately upon drawing this damage card, you roll the attack die as directed and if a "hit" is rolled, the card is flipped facedown, effectively becoming a "normal" damage card?

OR

Does it mean that the effects of this faceup card (Critical Hit) can be turned into a facedown damage card by spending an "Action"?

Chris

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

It means that the ship gains the action as listed on the critical hit card (there are a few of them). It doesn't happen immediately but takes the ship's action to use. This works just like upgrade cards that give you actions (like Marksmanship for example).

#3 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

And to complete your query, the 'search' feature is at the very top of the page, next to the FFG logo.

#4 Chris Maes

Chris Maes

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

So...

The ship effectively gains a new "Action", that when utilized, will allow the player to flip the card facedown, converting it to normal damage.  The critical hit "text" remains in effect until such time as that player uses an action to "repair" the special damage effects.  Do I have it straight?

And Thanks, Jehan, for pointing out my FAIL at observation skills Re: the "Search" feature. :D

Chris

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#5 Gazerfoxie

Gazerfoxie

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

So...

The ship effectively gains a new "Action", that when utilized, will allow the player to flip the card facedown, converting it to normal damage.  The critical hit "text" remains in effect until such time as that player uses an action to "repair" the special damage effects.  Do I have it straight?

And Thanks, Jehan, for pointing out my FAIL at observation skills Re: the "Search" feature. :D

Chris

That is correct, sir. Good hunting.

"Do a Barrel Roll! Use the Boost to get through!" .. .. .. Wait a minute. Is this the right game?

#6 nimdabew

nimdabew

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

R5's are great for negating these ship crits. No action required. I fly R5's more often than my R2's now because of this. 

#7 Rascarcapat

Rascarcapat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Is it possible to use a focus token to change the result of that dice ?

#8 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Is it possible to use a focus token to change the result of that dice ?

No, the only time you can spend focus to alter a dice is during combat. During either the Modify Attack Dice or Modify Defense Dice phases.

Or if a card says you can, like Blaster Turret letting you spend one to fire the blaster.

#9 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Or to put it another way, with the Blaster Turret example in mind, if you could spend a focus to modify a critical damage card effect, it would probably say so.

#10 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

it would probably say so.

Yeah either way you look at it, it's the same thing.

In X-Wing you're told when you can do things. So for the most part, if it doesn't say you can do it, then you are best off assuming you can't.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS