Scavenging for Gear

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xannelson

Xannelson

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

I am looking at the Outlaw Tech specialization and it has Utinni! which makes it easier to scrounge for gear and components.  However I cannot find where the base rules for scrounging equipment are.  Is it just a perception check with the difficulty determined solely by the GM or are there guidelines to what you can find with certain checks?

#2 Rikoshi

Rikoshi

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

As with a lot of things in this game, it's subject to GM interpretation.  I can see Perception being the obvious go-to skill, though.

#3 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Scrounging for gear/components would have what effect? I suppose maybe if you need to rip the power converters out of a crashed freighter to repair your own, which are too expensive to flat-out buy...

More guidance is definitely requested with this, just as with "time required to take an action." Strict times are unnecessary but guidelines/suggestions are always helpful.

#4 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Perception is the most prominent skill option, typically rolled for looting bodies and generally looking for anything of value that isn't nailed down.

I'd also allow other reasonable requests to function too though. If the player wants to scrounge a wrecked vehicle for usable parts then Mechanics would be an appropriate skill.

It's a little more out of the box, but I could see a scenario where Streetwise or Survival would be usable as well, though it would be a more rare occurrence.

For difficulty, yeah up to the GM, though not really hard to figure out.

Easy: item being looked for isn't something that's really hidden. (looking for a specific machine part in a well organized garage)

Average: Item isn't hidden, but isn't easy to find either. (Finding a machine part in a not so organized junk yard)

Hard: Item is hidden (finding the data chip a slicer hid in his bedroom)

Daunting: Item is intentionally hidden by someone who really wanted it not to be found (Finding a load of spice hidden in the nooks, crannies and bolt holes of an old frieghter)

Formidable: Item is not to be found by anyone, possibly ever (finding a spies "go bag" hidden in one one of the busiest spaceports in the galaxy)

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS