Why the characteristic baseline of "2"

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

In looking at the game, one needs to consider what the license grantor considers canon. Our "personal canon" choices don't really matter, except for our ability to help the licensee match their product to the license grantor's canon. 

Jar Jar, for better or worse, is Canon until Disney decides to overwrite them. Whiney-brat Anakin is also canon.

Lucas already overwrote them.  TCW does a better job exploring the nuances of both these guys, where the movies have to cram long periods of character development into 2 hours.  It's a pretty impossible task.  The TCW Shadow Warrior episode is the first time I've seen Jar Jar used to his full potential, quite hilariously IMHO.  And Anakin is completely different and far more justifiable in TCW.  In short, TCW is more canon to me, yet still mythic.  If TCW is myth, then the movies are myths of the myth...kind of like Lord of the Rings vs the Silmarillion.

• Kshatriya likes this

#22 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

Meh.  I think at this point, it's meaningless trying to ascribe 'canon' to something with hundreds of different writers all with their own ideas and Mary Sue characters, and where even Lucas constantly contradicts himself...

But yeah, agree with Whafrog.  Playing humans with deficiencies would have been cool, but I guess they didn't want powergamers dumping Presence. I suppose anyone who survived on the fringe or in the Alliance for any length of time wouldn't have some glaring deficiency (unless they were an alien!)  

#23 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

Lucas has said pretty explicitly: Canon is the movies. As recently as 2 years ago.

It's nice when it meshes with prior art, but really, everything other than Eps 1-6 is not "canon" per George. 

The question really isn't "What does George say is canon" anymore, tho'...

It's "What does LFL/Disney feel is Canon?" And that's likely to be only the movies and TV shows.

And, "what does FFG have to consider as canon?" 

And this all needs to balance with "What does the expected fan in the store consider canon?"

We can argue from Wookiepedia all we want, but unless we get to see the details, or get told "XY&Z are off limits," we really don't know what FFG's allowed to consider canonical.

Most of my EU knowledge is pre-1996. The rest is semi-sequential TCW viewing, and the video games, especially the Lego ones. And whatever I glean from wookiepedia. 

#24 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

My point was really that I don't think Anakin was meant to be a whiney brat who gives into his impulses at the slightest provocation, but that the writing just managed to make him seem that way. I think he was more meant to be a conflicted character who had a darkness within him which he struggled with and eventually overcomes him (and they almost succeeded with that in some of the Episode 3 scenes). The fall of Anakin Skywalker was meant to be a Tragedy (in the literary sense). As written it wasn't, it was just irritating (partly because George Lucas's scale of evil apparently goes straight from "slightly selfish" to "mass murderer").

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS