Stone of Erech Now Available

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

Copy arrived today but without Dusk. Have contacted FFG so should get the missing card soon.

From a quick browse it looks like a very tough Quest which plays a lot of tricks with your Willpower, and with the Spectral and Battle keywords appearing at some stage you will really need to think hard about the stats of your characters. It looks doable because 1B and 2B do not require an awful lot of progress to complete; 3B on the other hand...

All this without having actually played it, of course.

You can play it since dusk is essentially the same card as eventide, since after you place the 4th progress token before switching to midnight. When you will just have to remember that you switched from eventide to dusk since encounter cards will start to be buffed while it is in play.

In terms of difficulty it's a pretty easy nut to crack, and was winning consistently with a few different decks on my 2nd day of owning it, but it is still a fun quest, and one that will see the table often.

I think Glaurung's Thorin & Company will crush it, since willpower and attack stats are the key to victory in this scenario. This usually is not a problem if Dain is in play, but I am curious to hear how it goes with this deck. I would resist the urge to play them right away, and give something else a shot first.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#22 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

My copy is on its way.  I'll have the Morgul Vale and Stone of Erech both arriving right before the weekend hits; I'm excited!  (Because unfortunately this looks like the last of the new LotR LCG content for.. the.. rest.. of.. the.. year...)  

Edited by Karlson, 19 November 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#23 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Stone of Erech is really awesome. Very well balanced for one and two players which is a nice change from some of the very easy solo scenarios in Against the Shadow. Also attacking with willpower allows for some really unique choices. For instance I played with Elladan WITHOUT Elrohir since he didn't need his attack boost!

• Scroll Lock likes this

#24 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

Stone of Erech is really awesome. Very well balanced for one and two players which is a nice change from some of the very easy solo scenarios in Against the Shadow. Also attacking with willpower allows for some really unique choices. For instance I played with Elladan WITHOUT Elrohir since he didn't need his attack boost!

That is really nice idea!

#25 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Sounds exiting! cannot wait for my copy. Should to get it pretty soon.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#26 Kassad

Kassad

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

I played through this a couple of nights ago in 3 player (Lore/Leadership, Mono Spirit, Mono Tactics) and we beat it on the first try.  It was definitely a challenge, and it had fun mechanics, but it was not as hard as something like the Battle of Lake-Town for our particular group.

#27 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

I received my copy yesterday and tried it for the first time with my two-handed "Thorin's Company" dwarf decks because that's what I currently had constructed (I was doing yet another Hobbit saga run-through with them).

I didn't expect to get too far because my dwarf decks were not really the right build for that quest based off the initial looks of it (especially since I replaced Dain with Balin and the decks were just generally weaker in an effort to be more thematic.)  However, I made it further in the quest than I thought I would - all the way to Midnight.  But when the Lord of the Dead and several more shades came out, I was done for.  I really enjoyed the quest though; it was very tense all the way through and I never felt in control of anything.  I am determined to beat it, which leads me to my next thought...

I just received the Morgul Vale today and am really liking the new player cards.  (The new Lore dwarf ally made me grin ear to ear when I saw him!  Even though his ability seems a bit lackluster, I can't get enough of those dwarves!)   Anyways, I see some extremely powerful synergies revolving around Rohan now, so I plan to construct some Rohan decks and try Stone of Erech again as well as Morgul Vale for the first time.    

#28 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

Picked up Stone today and have run through it twice. Nice quest with a lot going on. Really have to pay attention. I won both games, but basically on the last turn before I burned up due to threat. Not as hard as Morgul Vale, but still decently challenging.
"Finally!" - Nalir the Dwarf

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#29 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Got in a third game and lost. A commonality in the games was that in the two wins I found an early Gandalf (Hobbit) and used him to power through the quest. In the loss he never showed up and his questing and spectral attack power was missed.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#30 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Got in a third game and lost. A commonality in the games was that in the two wins I found an early Gandalf (Hobbit) and used him to power through the quest. In the loss he never showed up and his questing and spectral attack power was missed.

so you use Aragorn lore? Or other way to remove your threat?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#31 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

so you use Aragorn lore? Or other way to remove your threat?
Lore Aragorn, three copies of Elrond's Council and one copies of Galadhrim's Greeting.

#32 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

I have now received a replacement copy of the full Stone of Erech pack.

This means I have a spare deck available minus the Dusk card. I would be happy to send it free of charge to someone in the UK; internationally we would probably have to work out the costs.

It's perfectly playable without Dusk, just build up to 8 tokens on Eventide and remember to treat it as Dusk when it has 4 or more tokens. So if anyone is interested, send me a message on here.

#33 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Or they could do an alternative quest format in which Eventide turns directly into Midnight.  Now that would be intense!

#34 Boris_the_Dwarf

Boris_the_Dwarf

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

I played it at GenCon, and we beat it several times. Unexpected Courage on a character with 3+ WP and you shouldn't have any trouble. In the later stages, it's just a matter of stacking up the 1 WP characters for a single attack on the bigger enemies. The funny thing with it is that traditional forms of damage still work, and the Rivendale Blade lowers spectral defense, as I recall.

Two important points:

1) Quest fast. The later in the evening it is, the harder it gets.

2) Eleanor is the MVP. She's the only card that can shut down when revealed effects at set-up. The games she was a part of were locks.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS