• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marten

Marten

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

Couldn't find an aswer.

If I use Darth Vader (crew) to apply a crit, can Draw Their Fire be used to take it on the ship with DTF?

As far as I understand it, NO, you CANNOT use DTF on a crit from Darth Vader (Crew).

Edited by Marten, 30 October 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#2 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

No, because Vader is not an attack.

To elabamorate, the text of DTF says "when a friendly ship at Range 1 is hit by an attack" (emphasis mine).  Vader says "After you perform an attack," and, "you may suffer 2 damage to cause that ship to suffer 1 critical damage."  

So Vader not only isn't an attack himself, but his effect takes place immediately following an attack.  You could use DTF on a crit caused by the attack that triggered Vader, but not on the crit dealt by Vader himself.

Edited by CrookedWookie, 30 October 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#3 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

There are several reasons why this doesn't work.  CW hits on the attack element, but DTF and Vader operate on different levels.

Die results --> Damage --> Cards.  An effect can create any of those things, and you follow the flow through to the end point (damage cards).  Once you're at a step, you don't go backwards.

Draw Their Fire moves a die result from one ship to the next.  Vader creates damage.  So Vader never has anything to do with the die results - there's none rolled, and he doesn't create some pseudo-result.  It's just damage, so there's nothing for DTF to latch on to.

As a corollary, this also explains why DTF is useless against Proton Bombs and Seismic Charges.  Both effects skip the results and go straight to either damage or dealt cards.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS