Morgul Vale Predictions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

We should be hearing news about the final AP in the coming weeks and I know everyone has really high hopes for the player cards in this set. For the previous two cycles (Mirkwood and Dwarrowdelf) the last AP's were a treasure trove of superpowered awesomeness. This has raised expectations to new heights for the upcoming Morgul Vale.

We know what has been spoiled:  Theoden (tactics hero) and the spirit horse mount. But what else is coming? Time for some predictions. Here's mine:

1. Snowmane, a special attachment for Theoden. Elrond got Vilya, and Theoden will get something awesome too. What will it do? My best guess is that it will either A)  allow Theoden to spend resources on any card with the Rohan trait or B) allow Theoden to spend resources on any card with the Mount trait.

2. Denethor's Toy, a special 0 cost neutral sphere attachment  that will prevent a character's willpower from ever being lowered. The Denethor leadership ally from EaAD is considered to be the worst card of the AP cycle and I can't help but wonder that they are planning something to make him worth his 4 resource cost.

3. Gondor Superbooster.  This could really be anything, but I'm guessing it's a restricted attachment for a hero. It will give characters with the Gondor trait something really amazing. Probably a buff on all three of the main stats (will, attack, defense). It's like having Dain in a can.

4. Treachery Foiler.  Treacheries remain the most difficult part of the game to counter. At this point in the game's lifespan I think we will soon see a new way to deal with them that doesn't involve "A Test of Will". I think it will be another event, and hopefully not from the spirit sphere.

5. Spammer of Morthond.  This could also be called "Outlands for Gondor".  This card will give a hero with the gondor  trait the ability to spend resources on any card with the outlands trait. This would pair up very nicely with the card "Lord of Morthond".

6. A new eagle card!  I threw this one in for kicks, but why not? We know that FFG commisioned artwork for Gwaihir the king of the eagles, a card we have yet to see. Every other faction has been getting the love lately, even the overloaded dwarves got a new card in Blood of Gondor so why not the Eagles? And I could think of no better time for the Eagles to show up than when Gondor is in its hour of greatest need.

7. Palantir's Partner.  I'm not sure exactly how this card would work, but I think it would somehow synergize with the palantir. Either it would let you reduce the threat of the palantir or make the risk of use worth it by messing with the encounter deck. The palantir is the kind of "Johnny card" that is just begging for a partner to make it magnificent in a wild and ingenious combo.

There you go, those are my predictions. What do you think? Please post some of your own and once the pack is released we'll see who came the closest to getting it right!

#2 Teamjimby

Teamjimby

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Regarding number 3, we know there is a unique leadership attachment that boosts something for all Gondor characters.  I'm guessing it will be +1 Willpower.

http://boardgamegeek...v?size=original

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

nice ideas. i like the light of valinor style attatchment for denethor idea particularly.

my personal wishes is that we get at leat 1 more weapons- i love weapons.....

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Something that gives Gondor a boost is what I would like to see , since we did not get that much good Gondor cards on a cycle supposed to be theirs.

Also an attachment that would let Theoden to play other Rohan cards would be a nice idea as topic starter suggested

I cannot wait for Morgul Vale anyway 

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#5 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

I am probably alone in this, but I hope we don't get any exciting superpower cards.

A new eagle card would be great, yeah.

I'd also like to see some kind of Gondor version of Sneak Attack that doesn't belong to the leadership sphere.

I like the idea of a booster card for Gondor.

Btw: Denethor ally is great when paying Hobbit decks.

#6 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Good ideas! I did not think that much ahead as what to expect...eagles would certainly be very nice to get some more options for eagle decks!

#7 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

I'm really hoping to see Mablung to complete the rangers of Ithilien.  I wouldnt even mind if he wasnt lore like damrod so long as he wasnt as expensive to encourage him to blend into the decks a little more

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#8 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm really hoping to see Mablung to complete the rangers of Ithilien.  I wouldnt even mind if he wasnt lore like damrod so long as he wasnt as expensive to encourage him to blend into the decks a little more

Yes absolutely, a Mablung ally would be incredible..

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#9 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

It should be out in a week shouldn't it ? And yet no news :P 

Lord of all Noldor

#10 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think that the only thing the Gondor needs to become a somewhat viable deck is an attachment with "attached hero can pay for Gondor allies of any sphere" or simply "Gondor characters get +1 attack for each Gondor hero you control". Something along those lines.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#11 Alex6222

Alex6222

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

More gondor allies would be good since this cycle has focused mostly on rangers, outlands and pinches of hobbits/elves. A sword attachment could be good, we got a shield and a spear and rangers have the bow.

#12 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Sixth AP shoul complete the cycle theme (eagles of the misty mountaints) and introduces something from next cycle (Dain).

With that said I am sure we will see card with text:

"Reduce the cost to play Book of Eldacar by 1 for each hero you control with a printed [LORE] resource icon.

Action: Discard Book of Eldacar to play any [LORE] event card in your discard pile as if it were in your hand. Then, place that event on the bottom of your deck."

And I hope we will see some awesome TRAP! And some ally that has ROHAN and GONDOR traits, i would really like it.

#13 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Sixth AP shoul complete the cycle theme (eagles of the misty mountaints) and introduces something from next cycle (Dain).

"Reduce the cost to play Book of Eldacar by 1 for each hero you control with a printed [LORE] resource icon.

Action: Discard Book of Eldacar to play any [LORE] event card in your discard pile as if it were in your hand. Then, place that event on the bottom of your deck."

And I hope we will see some awesome TRAP! And some ally that has ROHAN and GONDOR traits, i would really like it.

To be completely honest I really doubt something like that will happen, I don't think they make so much as a pattern when they design cycles, and if you said we would get the Lore book (which is named Scroll of Isildur btw) we would also get a trap then that would not happen since that would be 2 Lore attachments in a single pack, and that never happens.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 08 November 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#14 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

To be completely honest I really doubt something like that will happen, I don't think they make so much as a pattern when they design cycles, and if you said we would get the Lore book (which is named Scroll of Isildur btw) we would also get a trap then that would not happen since that would be 2 Lore attachments in a single pack, and that never happens.

#15 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

You are probably right, but I think trap decks will get something good. Maybe event or non-lore trap. Who knows, we have seen 2 non-tactics weapons in this cycle...

#16 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

And I think Theoden will get Herugrim- his sword that gave him his forgotten strength. It may boost his attack by 2 and as a bonus boost rohan characters will/attack...

#17 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

I believe that we are not going to have a preview after all ... it should be released on Friday so ... 

Lord of all Noldor

#18 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:45 AM

Yeah, Scroll of Isildur was partially spoilt already.

Now, above an interesting point has been raised, though I am pretty good at remembering what cards came in which expansions, has it ever happened that the two cards of the given sphere would be of the same type (i.e. allies, attachments, events). I am pretty sure it hasn't, surely not for allies as there are usually three in the whole pack, but maybe for events?

#19 Scroll Lock

Scroll Lock

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

In "Redhorn Gate" were 2 Leadership events.

To Gizlivaldi: In FoS were 2 lore attachments! So we may see Scroll of Isildur (lore attachment) and lore trap!

#20 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Great catch. The last two packs of the Dwarrodelf were strange in that they each had three Lore cards in them, if I remember correctly. But Redhorn Gate certainly breaks the pattern with its two events, Timely Aid and Taking Initiative, I believe (though the latter must be the most useless card in the game).

• richsabre likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS