New Concept? - Living Board Game

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

Can anyone actually logically explain why some people would prefer we don't get content?  Saying slow down, means just that at some point in time.

Let me preface my points with this: I think you've introduced a logical fallacy that you're driving your argument off of. Saying "slow down" does NOT mean "don't make stuff". The only case it would is if Descent 2E was slated to end after a specific time period instead of after all the quality content has been exhausted, in which case a slower pace would mean fewer items. It's still possible for them to produce the same amount of content, but spread it out over a longer period of time, which is what I think most people want.

Why they want it slower has a couple of major reasons:

1) Many people aren't able to play through the current content fast enough to keep up. And even though there's always the ability to just pick stuff up when you get to it, there's a few things to keep in mind:

a) There's a risk of it being out of print when that happens. Just assuming that there will be enough demand to warrant a second printing is a pretty big assumption.

b) Even if it IS slated for a second printing, it doesn't mean it'll be easily available when you get to that point. Especially when considering expansions, they often sit out of print for much longer than base games before getting a second printing.

c) When playing a game that keeps having new content generated, there's a very real negative psychological effect of feeling like you're "falling behind and will never catch up". Is that better or worse for a company than the people who burn through content so fast and feel like FFG can't keep up with their play speed and risk moving on to other games by different companies and not coming back? Who knows, but that's a whole other can of worms.

2) People are worried that the content is produced hastily with more of an emphasis on cash grabs and content quantity than on content quality. As I mentioned above, I think a lot of people would rather the same AMOUNT of content spread out over a longer period of time (because this game will come to an end eventually), thus keeping it "alive" for longer. This can especially be a big concern of long-time FFG fans who know that the company has a history of releasing lots of different content that is supposed to be able to interact with each other, but somehow missed a full suite of testing and creates even more rules issues than already exist.

+1

There are very logical reasons that some people find that the production rythm is too high. ;)

+2 Well said!

#22 Safyre

Safyre

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

Griton:

While you're probably already aware of a number of them, here's a post I made about tips for 2-hero games, which are probably the most sensitive to hero choice:

http://community.fan...e-4#entry879848

You were actually playing it right.

I will say our Overlord has been grabbing the Shadow Dragon for every open monster group that allows the terrain for it since we started. In one of the quests, I noticed it says after that quest a Shadow Dragon can be used from then on for open monster groups as the Overlord's choice... in essence, saying that the Shadow Dragon wasn't supposed to be used previous to that quest? There is no where I could find that it says the Shadow Dragon could not be used before hand and that damn dragon eating up the surges has cost us many a quest... if we even roll a surge just to hit it in the first place.

I think the quest you're referring to is The Desecrated Tomb. What it says is:

Shadow Dragons have the Dark and Cave traits, so can normally only be played in encounters that feature them. If the Overlord wins The Desecrated Tomb, he can then play Shadow Dragons as an Open Group regardless of what traits the encounter lists.

...for the remainder of the campaign, the overlord may choose shadow dragons as one of his open groups, regardless of the quest's listed monster traits.

Example: If the overlord didn't win The Desecrated Tomb (either it hasn't been played, can't be played, or he lost), and you're currently playing The Wyrm Turns, he could use Shadow Dragons in Encounter 1 (which lists Dark as an available trait), but not in Encounter 2 (which only lists Mountain, Fire, and Forest as available traits). If, however, the overlord DID win The Desecrated Tomb, he could use Shadow Dragons in both encounters, because it doesn't matter which traits the encounter has.

I appreciate the 2-player tips and no, I have not seen any yet. I find it a bit difficult to search these forums for any question relevant topics since I can't find a search feature... maybe some help with that would be, helpful ;)

Two of the three of us are very seasoned Bloodblowl players so we know exactly how to move our pieces for blocks and the the ability to be in range of anything without sacrificing extra moves. The Overlord and I are the two. He knows how to block and how to move in ways that circumvent my feats and skills making them useless. Add on to that the bad luck of all my abilities needing a bow with only three bows in a 35 card shopping deck (both acts together) and all I have is the starting bow which gives minimal anything. The Knight of course has upgrades out the wazoo coming at him at every shopping sequence and ended up with the Bearded Axe, forgoing the shield since it's the only thing so far able to halfway carve our way to the objectives.

I'll admit we actually won our second quest (The Dawnblade) but only because our Overlord didn't think it was fair if he moved one of his minions on the tomb to stop us. We were able to do a Hail Mary on the very last turn the light was going to hit the tomb to win. Personally, I think the Overlord was starting to feel sorry for us and let it happen on purpose. He quite a few mistakes that he would not have normally made. I know him well, and he is too good for those kinds of mistakes. One or two, ok, but he made quite a few.

I guess the game gets completely different when you have more than two players, but that's where I come in and say the difficulty completely depends on the who's playing the players, who's playing which heroes, the Overlord and, apparently, how many players.

I bought all the 1st edition heroes with their conversion cards and this gives us a bit more to look through. Other than that, I don't see us getting more players than what we have already. The only games people play around here are Magic and the miniature battle wargaming types. It's going to be a rough ride.

Thanks much for your help!

-Saf

Edited by Safyre, 05 November 2013 - 03:36 PM.

- Saf

#23 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

About the use of the Shadow dragon in an open group, it only can be used if one his traits corresponds to one of the two that appear on the top of the encounter's page.
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
G. K. Chesterton

#24 griton

griton

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

I bought all the 1st edition heroes with their conversion cards and this gives us a bit more to look through. Other than that, I don't see us getting more players than what we have already. The only games people play around here are Magic and the miniature battle wargaming types. It's going to be a rough ride.

For your next campaign, you may want to consider having each hero player play 2 heroes for a full party of 4. It's not an official rule, but it's an extrapolation of playing with only a single hero player where he is specifically told to use 2 hero characters.

About the use of the Shadow dragon in an open group, it only can be used if one his traits corresponds to one of the two that appear on the top of the encounter's page.

Unless the Overlord wins The Desecrated Tomb, which offers as a reward the ability to use them as any open group, independent of trait, which is what he was referring to. ;-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS