Ogre Butcher spells

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 princeearwig

princeearwig

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

Wonderful work here. Have a question to ask though.

With the Butchers, you've generally mentioned their lack of Gutplate in the fluff rather than as a rules mechanic.
If an Ogre PC moved into Butcher from Maneater would you expect the gutplate ability to be retained or is their lack of one, in your eyes, more like the Trollslayer armour strictures?

#42 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Fun stuff. For the most part I like it all, but with one small caveat:

I'd be very cautious about letting Ogres use Strength or Toughness instead of mental traits. I realize their mental traits suck, but the ogres have so many bonuses to Str/Tou, and the cost of those cheap boosts is supposed to be that they suck in other areas. I can't imagine the (players of any) non-ogres in the party are going to be pleased when suddenly the comic-relief encroaches on their character niche and outperforms them at it from out of nowhere. Bright Wizards, Ratcatchers, Knights and Outriders are all going to be suddenly overshadowed around Rank 3 and there's not much they can do to take their spotlight back once it's gone.  Any fellowship-based career paths face roughly the same thing when Bruisers become inexplicably charming.

I'm not going to say these are broken per se. In an all-ogre party they certainly wouldn't be a problem at all, for example. But in party of mixed races and character concepts, some of these seem almost guaranteed to make the other players feel that they are unfair.  Just a thought.

Edited by r_b_bergstrom, 11 April 2014 - 11:32 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS