Introductory thread/ new player thread

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:14 AM

@richsabre - No, I have yet to venture north of Oxford! Other than that, I've only been to London, Stratford-upon-Avon and Bath. I would love to visit the north some time. The rivers and hilly landscape looks absoutely beautiful!

• richsabre likes this

#42 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

Martyn here.

Dutch, but living in Scotland with wife and three kids. I'm a medical scientist by profession, a mountain biker, metal head and failed musician by hobby. 

I have a long history of Tolkien cardgaming starting with Middle Earth CCG, the most fantastic game ever, in the early 1990s. For a while I edited the Middle Earth Card of the Day for that game under the nick Fram Frumgarson. I also played the Decipher movie game but did not really like it - mainly because MECCG was such a hard act to follow.

I have played the LCG from the start, always solo as I know of no other players and I wouldn't be able to commit to regular meet-ups anyway what with life getting in the way.

#43 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

thanks for posting clydecloggie- i guessed scotland had something to do with you :)

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#44 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Craig here,

I'm from Auckland, New Zealand, married and have two daughters. Job wise i'm an sales analyst and I'm quite new to this type of card game.

Started playing when I released I needed a break from excessive amounts of screen time (work & PC gaming). 

Loving that this game is Lord of Rings based, solo & Co-Op, has amazing art work and that I've generally found this game quite challenging (though much less of late... especially looking at you Amon Din!). 

I almost stopped playing before getting Heirs of Numenor as the initial reports, I read, seemed to make the game sound so ridiculously hard that it wasn't worth it... in practice I think they are some of my favorite quests... and I finally had a reason to field lots of tactics Hero's.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#45 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

thanks for posting chuckles

rich

#46 scottindeed

scottindeed

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I am Scott, 34, I live in South London, UK and have been married for 5 1/2 years.

I work as an IT Systems Manager for charitable/religious organization.  I have a Master's Degree in Astrophysics (great that you are studying it too Richard!)

In my spare time I run, gym, movies, video games, read...  I'm a huge fan and collector of David Bowie's music.  I even fronted a David Bowie tribute band for 4 years.  I also song-write and play guitar, and occasionally play my own stuff live.

I got heavily into this game when it first came out and was on these boards a lot.  I sort of burned out with it though and stopped playing for nearly a year.  The last pack I bought was 'Shadow and Flame'.  I've now got interested again, and am rediscovering and enjoying the game again.  

I'm a thematic player and always build themed decks.  I'm making sure this time to take my games slowly and think about the story as I go along - and I'm no longer keeping score!

I've got some catching up to do with expansions.  I hope to get the Heirs of Numenor set soon and I've stuck the Hobbit expansions on my Christmas list!  :)

• richsabre likes this

#47 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

thanks for posting scottindeed- great to see a fellow astronomer here :)

rich

#48 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Hi,

I'm Carlos Matos, i live in Portugal and i'm single.

I am a Solicitor and work on my own. Sometimes i teach in my area.

When i knew the game i entered heavily on it and i have all the packs and Massing. I would like to have the others PoD but they never got on sale.

I am a newbie at deckbuilding not being very thematic, although i like some thematic decks that are around but am a very regular player, with at least a game per day.

Carlos José Matos

#49 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

thanks cjmatos for posting

rich

#50 Karlson

Karlson

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm just now getting around to posting on this because I can definitely be considered a new player since I first got into the Lord of the Rings LCG in July.

My name is Casey and I currently live in Southwest Missouri but will be moving to Bloomington, Indiana next Fall to begin my education as an optometrist at the Indiana University School of Optometry.  (I'm also hoping to go to Gen Con for the first time now since I'll be less than an hour away from Indianapolis!)  

I have been a huge fan of all things Tolkien since middle school when I first watched the Fellowship of the Ring on VHS at a friend's house.  Since then, I have acquired a considerable collection of action figures as well as all the LEGO sets that have come out, but I hadn't gotten into the LCG... yet.  However, on July 7th of this year (my birthday) the same friend who I watched the Fellowship of the Ring with over 10 years ago bought me the core set.  

I had never played an LCG before and heck, my experience with board and card games in general was pretty minimal (I mostly played LotR Risk and Ticket to Ride with friends - and that's about it.)  So, picking up the gameplay and structure of the game took a decent learning curve, but I was absolutely hooked before too long.  I dove right in and starting ordering expansions and adventure packs right off the bat and before long I had the whole collection (I'm still apologizing to my bank account!)

Now, even though I'm still a busy student finishing up my Bachelors of Science in Biology, I love playing when I get a chance.  Perhaps the best thing about this game is the fact that it is single player, which allows me to play whenever I want and not just when I'm with people who are willing to play (I'm still trying to convince my fiancée to give it a go though - I lost her when I brought up hit points and attack damage!)   At any rate, I anxiously look forward to the future of the game and can't wait to get my hands on the Voice of Isengard expansion!

P.S.  This online community of fellow players has been extremely helpful and fun to interact with over the past few months, an attribute that is rare among most online internet forums.

Edited by Karlson, 14 November 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#51 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

thanks for posting karlson- this was also my first real card game, and in fact remains the only one. i must have spent months prior to the game's release looking for a decent solo ccg and the very month this was released i stumbled upon it....great luck :)

#52 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm Peter, and I live and work in Edinburgh in Scotland. I think I've been on this forum more or less since the beginning of the LOTR LCG but have trouble finding enough time to engage properly with it, so this is both an introduction and an apology for not getting more involved in the excellent community on here!

Always been a huge Tolkien fan, used to read LOTR every Christmas - and actually I should start doing that again - and also like to find solo games, so this one was a perfect match! I also play a lot of other boardgames, and am very fond of the Eurogamer style games (although Arkham and BSG have a place in my heart) but LOTR is the only LCG I have the time or money for at the moment. I don't play as much as I would like, but having recently completed a PhD in Classics (Ancient History) and now starting a job lecturing in Edinburgh has rather cut down on the time I would invest. I tend to try to find interesting (to me) rather than powerful decks, and I have to say I've really enjoyed the new directions that this game has taken recently. Now I just need to find the time to play the new quests more than the once over they get right now!

#53 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

thanks for posting monkeyrama - classicial history is a fascinating subject ;)

rich

#54 Hastur360

Hastur360

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hello to everyone,

My name is Dennis, I am from Florida, USA. I have been playing LOTR LCG since the beginning and have been enjoying every minute of it. I am a manager for my local friendly game store so I play the game and many other games quite a bit. I generally play every week with three other players (I am a 4 player!). I play solo quite a bit as well. I started a blog site for a while called Entmoot, though I know I have been lax in updating that page. I too have played LOTROnline. I started playing that game since Beta and I own two life time subscriptions to it. My main server is Landroval but I have not played in some time. My main character there is a 65 Human Burglar. I have also played both MeTW and the Decipher LOTR ccgs. I have read several of the books Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, Unfinished Tales and working my way into the History of Middle Earth books. You could say I am a fan of Tolkien.

I am very happy to be part of this awesome community of players we have.

Edited by Hastur360, 16 November 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#55 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

About time to introdcue myself, isn't it?

My name is Jörg, I'm 38 years od and I'm from Hesse, Germany. I'm a teacher for maths and history. Before that I got a degree in Eastern european history and did some economics, too.

LoTR is my first LCG and the only one so far, as my spare time is limited and my friends don't share my interest in fantasy and games (loosers!), which is why I'm playing mostly solo.

• richsabre likes this

#56 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

@hastur360 - thanks for posting. you must have a profession many people here are jealous of :)

@leptokurt -thanks for the introduction- nice to put a name to a name (if that makes sense)

rich

#57 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

thanks for posting monkeyrama - classicial history is a fascinating subject ;)

rich

It is! Just about the only downside to doing a thesis was having to concentrate so much on such a small area of the whole history (I study about 30 years of Sicilian history, when there are almost no sources, and those that exist are not so reliable...). Rather looking forward to teaching entry level ancient history again if I can weasel my way into the career! Republican Rome is my personal favourite.

• richsabre likes this

#58 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

Edinburgh eh? Right country, wrong town.  :P

#59 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Craig here,

I'm from Auckland, New Zealand, married and have two daughters. Job wise i'm an sales analyst and I'm quite new to this type of card game.

Auckland! Man that's a mighty fine city!

I actually considered moving to New Zealand after my visit many years ago.

The kiwi's I met were so open and friendly.

And the raw nature is just....breathtaking!

"Not all those who wander are lost"

#60 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Craig here,

Auckland! Man that's a mighty fine city!

I actually considered moving to New Zealand after my visit many years ago.

The kiwi's I met were so open and friendly.

And the raw nature is just....breathtaking!

Thanks, really glad coming here was a really positive experience for you. I agree that we have some absolutely stunning scenery.

Did you travel though much of New Zealand?

Edited by chuckles, 18 December 2013 - 06:58 PM.

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS