65 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

greetings fellow gamers

after getting some postive feedback from the forum on this idea i thought i would go ahead with it

so here is the introductory / new player thread. hopefully if (!) it gets plenty of posts it may be stickied, if that is possible on this software, or perhaps even a subforum for newcomers, though that may be thinning out the forum rather too much in my opinion. hopefully it shall give newcomers a place to come first to introduce themselves, ask any questions and so on, but also give vetern gamers a chane to know each other if they so wish, and compliment the 'mega meetup thread'

so here is myself:

i am Richard, i am from Cumbria, N.England. i study an astrophysics degree with the open university....there is a wide range of opinions of distance study, however my choice was due to health reasons. despite this i find it an extremely tough learning process, at least as valuable as face to face learning (which it consists of anyway, and which i have also experienced so can compare the two)

aside from this my main interests lie in Tolkien (who would have guessed), history, specifically ww2 and third reich history (not a political statement etc etc.), and collecting various things

i am also an infrared photographer which is probably best described by clicking on my llnk in my signature (not an advert....ok well, a little haha). i was recently featured in a local magazine which was quite good (though i had one of my images cropped on the page- NEVER crop an artist's image...its meant to look that way!)

i have also just started to learn german (just started, so if you ask me anything in german the chances are i wont understand it ;) )

i picked up this game as soon as it came out, and have obsessively been playing it since.

oh yes, and when i say 'obsessive'...i mean obsessive- i have OCD...about the only good things that come from that is an extremely strong passion for my personal interests, and being good at mathematics and science

i like music that most will not have heard of- my two favourite artists being Sigur Ros, who a fellow gamer and good friend introduced me to, and Ludovico Einaudi.

i play guitar and piano..i say piano but its a keyboard (no need to tune the damn thing)....

oh yes....and i do this... '......' a lot....helps me form my thoughts :)

so...that is me....who are you?

PS- hopefully at least one other person will post on here to save my embarrasment...... ;)

PPS- believe it or not, i actually look nothing like my avatar.....

Edited by richsabre, 29 October 2013 - 12:55 PM.

• mr.thomasschmidt likes this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

PPS- believe it or not, i actually look nothing like my avatar.....

Everyone will always think thats what you look like anyways though :D  I never use Glamdring cause it feels like I have the "Rich" attachment and thats really weird so........ :P

Edit - Ooops really sorry I just realized that I sort of screwed up your topic by posting a comment that doesn't relate to what the topic is on.  Sorry!

Edited by Khamul The Easterling, 29 October 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

haha no problem. i have the same every time i draw the adder.....look! its glaurung!!

#4 Kepagt

Kepagt

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hi. My name is Keijo and Im from Finland. I have started to play Lotro lcg last spring. I play also war of the ring bord game, Star wars x-wing miniature game, arkham horror and star wars lcg :) in Lotro lcg Im just learning but I lovit! IT,s so great game. Thats little about me.
  • richsabre likes this

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

thanks for the introduction Keijo. you must buy a lot of cards every month ;)

rich

#6 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi my name is Damian and I come from Szczecin in Poland (but works in Oslo, Norway). I play from the beginning as soon as this amazing game appeared in my home country. At first I was playing solo, however, when I discovered what's possible multiplayer game, I convinced her two other players, and since then I play the three players. However, in December, will join our group of four players, and from now on I'm going to play for four players.
Every two months I go back to Poland and then play with my group - these two months usually tested decks (I made decks for other players from my group) and new scenarios .
so I'm set for a multiplayer game and , try  create decks mainly only for 4 players.

I listen to metal (Cradle Of Filth and Marilyn Manson, etc.).

Of course, I'm also a fan of creativity of Tolkien's.
I play well in LOTR Online.

Edited by 13thcaesar, 30 October 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

thanks for posting ;)

what server do you play on lotro? i am on Dwarrowdelf

rich

#8 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

thanks for posting ;)

what server do you play on lotro? i am on Dwarrowdelf

rich

Dwarrowdelf (nick Hirluinthefair ;)) I started play (so only 28 level)

Edited by 13thcaesar, 29 October 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#9 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

cool - i shall keep my eyes open. i am 'richardsabre' on the game....level 42. i only use the free to play system and use any turbine points to get packs, though i have only managed to buy evendim so far when they were on sale. for me it was either computers or cards....my thinking is that unlike my computer, cards dont break ;)

rich

#10 Tsurara

Tsurara

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Hey Guys and Gals, I am brand new to LoTR LCG and I hope to get really into it, i find the concept amazingly enjoyable and I can not wait for my core set to come this friday. I hope to really get my gaming group into it and see what happens. I live in SoCal and have only one group of gamers and that is only comprised of 4 people... so my group is small hence why this game intrigued me.

• 13thcaesar likes this

#11 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hmmmmm we already done in once right? 

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#12 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hmmmmm we already done in once right? 

indeed- though to show how long ago that was...it was my 1000th post. i now have 4500. a lot of people have come and gone since then.

anyways, i wanted to try and get this into a new player thread as well

Edited by richsabre, 29 October 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#13 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Hey all.  I'm Danny, I've been playing since just after Khazad-dum was released, and lurking around here just as long.  This was my first LCG and really my introduction into the world of card and board games beyond Monopoly Mouse Trap type of things.  I play LotR LCG with my wife pretty exclusively.  We used to play 3-4 times in a week, but we both have new jobs now and due to our schedule we usually get only 1 or 2 games in during a week.  

And Small world -- I used to play LotRO, and on Dwarrowdelf no less.  Did free to play only, and earned quite a few of the quest packs.  I stopped around level 40, and it's been probably a year since I played.  I'd like to pick it up again sometime, to tell the truth.

I live in the Seattle, WA area, USA.  I am a speech-language pathologist and spend my days doing speech therapy with kids.  Other than this game, I do some PC gaming, and I already mentioned the LotR MMORPG.  I also love camping, hiking, backpacking, and ska/reggae music.  And I lived in Japan for a few years, and speak Japanese pretty fluently if we're on familiar topics! :)  Can't read kanji so well though, and can't write a lick...

#14 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hello

I'm Nikos and I live in Greece, in a seaside place about 50km south of Athens (near Cape Sounio, it is a place a bit known about its ancient temple). In the community I live there are not more than 100 people in winter while in summer near 2000 , so you can guess that in winter time we are practically alone

I have two small kids (a boy 2years old  and a girl 9moths old) that take most of my time when home and a wife offcourse who is my fellowplayer in lotrcg. She likes the game though she doesn't like at all the Tolkien stories

I first came upon LoTRCG when my daughter was born, near the hospital was a shop that had it among other boardgames. I had a walk, shaw it and since I am a Tolkien fan (a lot before the movies came) I asked about it. I was attracted by the cooperrative thing and bought it. I think it took more than two months for the first game since with the new baby at home there was no time for it. I loved it, introdyced my wife who likes board games, she liked it too and soon enough we had all the available saga and ap packs. 

My hobbies are photograph, history, books, watching my favourite soccer team and board games mostly. I listen a lot of music. I prefer metal - all kinds of it but mostly Blind Guardian (my sig come from a song of them about Fingolfin) and Saxon - but could listen to anything apart from hip hop. I like Greek traditional music a lot too

thats to get a general idea about me. If you ever come in Greece pm me so we can play together hehehehe

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#15 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hey Guys

I think its nice to know a bit more about each other.

My name is Alain and I live in Switzerland. I read the book for the first time 18 years ago and have been a huge fan of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit since then. I never got around to read other Tolkien stuff, though.

My bother gave me Arkahm Horror as a Christmas present and I still love the game, but when I checked out the FFG website I saw the anouncement of an upcoming lotr lcg. So I kept following the game's development, closely anticipating its realease and being active on this forum even before the game was release. I picked up the Core Set day one :D At the time I was living in Tokyo and had a friend to play together although he soon became bored with the game and I was on a forced hiatus for a while. After moving back to Switzerland I picked up the game again and am really into it again (this time mostly solo though). Although I still miss the entire Khazad-Dum cycle (it's really hard to get English cards here and I don't want to mix-up my English collection with German cards!).

It's funny though, me too, I am fluent in Japanese. Even read and write it almost perfectly since I was a student at University of Tokyo for three years and was heavily exposed to Japanese there :P

#16 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

thanks for posting everyone- its great to know more about familiar faces. us gamers are a varied lot ;)

#17 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

My name is Mike and I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  I graduated from Duquesne University this past May with a doctor of pharmacy degree and currently work for Rite Aid pharmacy.  I'm also a big movie buff and xbox fanboy.  I am usually able to play a few games each week.  I especially enjoy the creative deck building aspect of the game and will often build a deck, play one game with it, then take it apart and make a new one.

I got into the game last summer when a friend had purchased the core set and the conflict at the carrock AP and brought it over to play.  I was a LOTR fan at the time, but nothing quite as intense as rich or some of the other fans on here.  After playing a few matches i was obsessed.  Loved the cooperative aspect and how releases came out almost every month.  When I was younger I played the popular competitive based card games like magic and yu-gi-oh, but getting older it becomes harder and harder to find other people to play with so i loved (and still love) that this game was completely viable to play by yourself.

I purchased the core set and all the mirkwood APs in one purchase on amazon not long after playing with my friend.  According to my order history, ten days later i ordered kazad-dum and all the darrowdelf APs released up until that point (which i believe was up to foundations of stone).

I've been eagerly awaiting each new release ever since

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#18 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Good initiative getting this thread started! Great to hear from everyone.

My name is Kristoffer. I live in southern Sweden. I study English at the university, and will move on to German this spring (my main focus is English, the German is mostly for fun and because it helps me understand the history of English and other northern languages. I like philology). I studied German for 6 years at school and English for 10, but my native tongue is Swedish.

I like most things Tolkien (of course) both in book, film and game format, history, languages and travelling. My favourite city on Earth so far has to be Oxford (only been there twice but still). When I'm not playing LotR:TCG or studying, I'm probably watching English detective series or trying to write my own stories. Also been trying to learn a little Old English - and the Swedish and German definitely helps there. 

I got into TCG relatively recently - I think HoN may already have been out. I've been spending way too much money in too short a time on this, but it's so darn fun. I mainly play Lore/Spirit, but beginning to open up a bit to the other spheres. I play TCG with two friends as often as I can. We favour Elves/Rangers, Gondor and Rohan/Random cool cards, respectively.

I like all kinds of music, really - Mozart to Iron Maiden. I often listen to instrumental music; my favourite composers are Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore and Adrian von Ziegler. The latter is mostly on Youtube and iTunes. Check him out, guys, he's amazing. I like chinese food. My favourite colour is green, but blue for clothing, and my toothbrush is currently pink - because that was the only one left in the pack.

• richsabre likes this

#19 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Hey Guys and Gals, I am brand new to LoTR LCG and I hope to get really into it, i find the concept amazingly enjoyable and I can not wait for my core set to come this friday. I hope to really get my gaming group into it and see what happens. I live in SoCal and have only one group of gamers and that is only comprised of 4 people... so my group is small hence why this game intrigued me.

welcome to the game  :)

I'm glad that there is another player who played for four players - as is clear from the probe richsabre, only two players have declared themselves to play with 4 players (my voice would be three ;) ). The vast number of players playing solo.
so is good that show up  another players playing multiplayers - I hope that more and more players will play for four players.
There is a big difference in the game solo and with 4 players - in the construction of decks, in the game, difficulty scenarios - so it would be nice to know the impressions, strategies, decks and progress in the various scenarios of other players playing with 4 players.
I see that you bought only Core Set - if you start right away to play with 4 players, I'll tell you from without any problems, go three scenarios of Core Setu - base decks - what if you play solo it's hard for beginner players - 
especially Escape from Dol Guldur.
This is great Cooperative game - I play before in Battlestar Galactica, Pandemic, Death Angel, Zombicide - and for my group LOTR LCG still be number 1  :)

Edited by 13thcaesar, 30 October 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#20 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

cool - i shall keep my eyes open. i am 'richardsabre' on the game....level 42. i only use the free to play system and use any turbine points to get packs, though i have only managed to buy evendim so far when they were on sale. for me it was either computers or cards....my thinking is that unlike my computer, cards dont break ;)

rich

great - level 42 :) I can not wait to see Moria (i hear is amazing looking), but for this a long, long road ahead of me :P . LOTR Online is a great game, well presented Middle-Earth and this  freedom to travel - it's just had a major impact on my idea of this campaign LOTR with a map - just want the players to feel the least freedom to travel though the Middle-earth, choose quests , paths, and explore this amazing world - that like in LOTR Online.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS