NEW ADD ON

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

City is not a theme that's excite me much, maybe this expansion is not the one I would like the most

but since i'm a fan, i need heroes, class and monsters at least

#22 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

I've bought all the expansions and like the game but I really wish the designers would be more proactive in answering questions regarding their game or fixing quest bugs.  Our group at least always seems to stumble on issues that come up and the faq is quite old and I'd rather come here for an official one instead of having to track down developer answers on board game geek.  I like these expansions and each has had a cool they need to keep up with support after each is released.  

#23 Kirgat

Kirgat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

Don't you find heroes are not very strong? (at least their abilities are not) and… why does the mage have better armor than the warrior? They both defend with brown dice (which is awful) but the mage can always have 1 shield due to her ability (which would be the gray defense dice average defense rate)… Don’t know what to think of it

#24 MadBat

MadBat

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I've bought all the expansions and like the game but I really wish the designers would be more proactive in answering questions regarding their game or fixing quest bugs.  Our group at least always seems to stumble on issues that come up and the faq is quite old and I'd rather come here for an official one instead of having to track down developer answers on board game geek.  I like these expansions and each has had a cool they need to keep up with support after each is released.  

My point exactly.

One thing that would really convince me in getting the next extension is if that one addressed the existing errata'd cards.

What I mean is that if I buy this expansion at normal price, I'd get a reprint of the older "core" cards which have been changed due to balance issues.

This would, at least for me, be a nice insentive in getting yet another extension.

And it would show they still address the issues with previous extensions instead of simply rushing the next one for steady income.

• rfisha likes this

#25 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Which makes me a lite bit worried. What if they run out of new fresh ideas for expansions or if the quality would start dropping?

In a way I feel they have a free way of finding out what the market is. It's called FFG message board. Congrats ^.~ you are now apart of the creative process. Often times we post threads about what we would like to see. I can't help but think they feed into that. We said we wanted more water spaces/swamp like environment. We then got Trollfens. We then made a point and discussed, very fully, about a city like environment and what we would like to see there. Boom. We get this. I think that's great!

They might not reply to us allot on their own, but they are listening to what we have to say and inducting this into their end all product. Granted, I feel it is coming out very quickly and I wonder if I can keep up (after all, I want to test out all the plot decks AND the new OL deck... this might not happen by the time this next set comes out! Hehe). But the others are correct. If they slow down, the hype for the game might also quickly die. Feed the masses while the craving is there.

As far as the city... I can't wait to read the story. I hope it really feeds into the lore of the world. It would be great to see Zackerith play a part in the city. I could see him crawling into the city after failing to take the thrown. ^.~ Or maybe getting support from those in the city before looking to take the thrown. I am almost sure Eliza will get to see some play in here. Balthier as well. THAT will be interesting all in it's own right!

• MeisterH, Robin, Silverhelm and 1 other like this

"Bide your time and hold out hope."

~Count of Monte Cristo

NotesFromTheOverlord.tumblr.com

#26 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Don't you find heroes are not very strong? (at least their abilities are not) and… why does the mage have better armor than the warrior? They both defend with brown dice (which is awful) but the mage can always have 1 shield due to her ability (which would be the gray defense dice average defense rate)… Don’t know what to think of it

I think the mage has a brown dice because of her heroic ability.

The Fighter has the brown dice because his stats are off the charts and, to a lesser extent, his ability allows him a move whenever he takes damage which can get him out of bad situations.  Add in fighter class options and he will likely hit like a truck too. 

#27 Kirgat

Kirgat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think the mage has a brown dice because of her heroic ability.

The Fighter has the brown dice because his stats are off the charts and, to a lesser extent, his ability allows him a move whenever he takes damage which can get him out of bad situations.  Add in fighter class options and he will likely hit like a truck too. 

Ok to that but, isn't it an almost useless ability? I mean, the average grey die roll is 1 and the average brown is 0 (which you would convert to 1) but the grey max is 3 while the brown's is 2. So whats the point? Wouldn't it be better to have a grey dice and a better ability?

#28 C2K

C2K

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Ok to that but, isn't it an almost useless ability? I mean, the average grey die roll is 1 and the average brown is 0 (which you would convert to 1) but the grey max is 3 while the brown's is 2. So whats the point? Wouldn't it be better to have a grey dice and a better ability?

Early on sure.  She will always roll a shield for defense.  But then you have to take into account campaign and items.  She is going to buy better gear, and each of those defense dice she gets will always be at least 1 shield.  Act 2 Mage characters rarely like to get close anyway, unless someone builds the Runemaster Tank build, which this new mage may or may not be good for. (since this is just a glance at the exp.)

#29 Kirgat

Kirgat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Early on sure.  She will always roll a shield for defense.  But then you have to take into account campaign and items.  She is going to buy better gear, and each of those defense dice she gets will always be at least 1 shield.  Act 2 Mage characters rarely like to get close anyway, unless someone builds the Runemaster Tank build, which this new mage may or may not be good for. (since this is just a glance at the exp.)

Right. Thinking of adding defense dice with a minimun of 1 shield is interesting (didn't thought of that). Also I haven't seen class cards so maybe this ability is powered up thanks to some class cards... don't know. I'll wait and see. Thanks for your point of view

#30 jadedbacon

jadedbacon

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Dunno, that mage looks like she has a black defense dice... maybe my eyes are going

Never believe in "never"

- Algus Sadalfas

#31 Radish

Radish

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

My point exactly.

One thing that would really convince me in getting the next extension is if that one addressed the existing errata'd cards.

What I mean is that if I buy this expansion at normal price, I'd get a reprint of the older "core" cards which have been changed due to balance issues.

This would, at least for me, be a nice insentive in getting yet another extension.

And it would show they still address the issues with previous extensions instead of simply rushing the next one for steady income.

Yeah getting a reprint of the errataed cards would be a really nice inclusion.  I hadn't thought of it but it seems so obvious after you mentioned it.

• Kunzite likes this

#32 BsnOne

BsnOne

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Dunno, that mage looks like she has a black defense dice... maybe my eyes are going

jadedbacon is correct, the new Mage character definitely has a black die for her starting defense (one of the few to have that). And with her abilities and feats (especially if she were to get the Rune Armor) she is going to be a pain to kill.

As for the new warrior, depending on the new Skirmishers abilities, he may not be as underwhelming as you think. In fact, his heroic feat is pretty darn good (kind of like Varikas the Dead, but with some options).

#33 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

"Yeah getting a reprint of the errataed cards would be a really nice inclusion.  I hadn't thought of it but it seems so obvious after you mentioned it."

My group and I where just talking about this. We would really like that as well. Just clear up all the questions and all.

• JorduSpeaks and jadedbacon like this

~Count of Monte Cristo

#34 PlainWhiteBread

PlainWhiteBread

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Do we know what the new characters' heroic feats are yet? People are talking like they're crazy good or something.

So let me get this straight: The red hero for this expansion who I've dubbed Swifty, who's designed to be a speedy, dodge-oriented combatant, rolls a brown defense die? The new yellow hero (surname Lightfoot) has the same thematic ability (avoiding damage rather than tanking it) and she rolls a black die AND cannot blank on it . Does anyone else see the logical error here? Swifty's a green hero masquerading as a red one.

There's nothing in his build that allows Swifty to 'avoid' any sort of damage as his design implies. Monsters can hit him just as easily as any other hero, he just takes more damage. 4 Might and 4 Awareness are great (and make him better than that chump Eliam) but they don't mean much when he's up against monsters that can cut him down in one or two hits, and his ability remains mostly moot in the face of ranged monsters unless he can dive (one space) out of line of sight. He's going to have to use that 5 movement and 5 fatigue to sweep in, strike as hard as humanly possible, then run like hell before the baddies can catch him; a difficult task when the OL has ranged monsters and hordes of baddies with 5 movement.

If anything, his hero ability should have been "When a monster attacks you, you may spend X fatigue to redirect that attack to an adjacent monster, where X is the damage value rolled on the attack die" or "at the start of your turn, you may spend 1 fatigue to gain Stealthy until your next turn". With only 10 HP and a brown defense die, he's not going to last long in a prolonged encounter without some form of survivability every other red-class hero has.

The Skirmisher cards will be better suited in the hands of any other Red hero -- even Eliam for Pete's sake -- because no matter how well the cards help Swifty, they help all the other heroes the same way.

Edited by PlainWhiteBread, 29 October 2013 - 04:04 PM.

• Kunzite likes this

#35 Silverhelm

Silverhelm

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

"Yeah getting a reprint of the errataed cards would be a really nice inclusion.  I hadn't thought of it but it seems so obvious after you mentioned it."

My group and I where just talking about this. We would really like that as well. Just clear up all the questions and all.

This is why I don't like errata, because its not in front of me! I generally try to rely on memory and that's bad sometimes lol. I really wish they could release errata cards ect. But then there's a possibility they may change things again due to expansions. It is possible that an unforeseen broken combo could accur an complaints start accumulating over it.
  • Kunzite likes this

#36 MeisterH

MeisterH

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

I think that Swifty can be interesting. A warrior that can't "tank" or do the usal: run up to nearest monster, hit it with all you've got, then recive one or two blows from the enemy. To me he looks like a strategy changer, since he is super fast and have loads of fatigue and doesn't suffer from the "typical" warrior problem of low awerness (I hate tripwire). So with Swifty you will have to think more about your place ment since he is more prone to be squished.

#37 Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm excited by this. I do think they are coming out a bit fast, however they seem to be correcting things as they go. The base game of 2nd Ed was in the shadow of Descent, an amazing game and really all 2E had going for it was pretty tiles and molds. W/o the comversion kits, only 8 heroes and not much for the OL...as a base game it was sad. So, I see why they keep pumping things out to create a high level of diversity and changed game play. Its smart and what they have to do in order to keep interest. Unlike 1E, the quests are much faster and less satisfying, so you have to do a campaign, and each of those goes quick and is not as epic as RtL, so a blitz of releases starts giving a lot more options. I think the realized that they have a beach head, but w/o alteration, tha will die off.

• Lilikin likes this

#38 rfisha

rfisha

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

I agree with that, it is frustrating to constantly keep referring back to errata, it would be nice to have actual updates on the cards.

• JorduSpeaks likes this

#39 Kunzite

Kunzite

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

I agree with that, it is frustrating to constantly keep referring back to errata, it would be nice to have actual updates on the cards.

The end all results, yes. But maybe they are waiting for the game to get a little more full before that happens. Who knows, maybe some of the erratas might not need to happen after all because x hero or x OL cards say it can happen just fine. Or maybe they over errata-ed something and would like to change it before they put the end all on paper. you know?

I agree with Silverhelm 100%. Erratas are hard to keep up with when you don't have them in front of you. Even if I know the card... even if I have played it 100 times, I still like to read it. Sometimes reading it helps me think.

• rfisha likes this

~Count of Monte Cristo

#40 PlainWhiteBread

PlainWhiteBread

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I think that Swifty can be interesting. A warrior that can't "tank" or do the usal: run up to nearest monster, hit it with all you've got, then recive one or two blows from the enemy. To me he looks like a strategy changer, since he is super fast and have loads of fatigue and doesn't suffer from the "typical" warrior problem of low awerness (I hate tripwire). So with Swifty you will have to think more about your place ment since he is more prone to be squished.

A warrior that cannot take a hit is like a mage that doesn't cast spells. Viable, but easily outclassed by people who actually fit the roles they were designed for. Someone is going to have to take a hit if the warrior can't, and I guess FFG wants to make the Tank Mage a new class, given the prevalence of the Rune Plate.

If the combat had more depth to it than Heart - Shield = Damage, maybe Swifty's brown defense die would make sense. The game just doesn't factor evasion at all, outside of Deep Elves/Wendigos having the 'Stealthy' ability. Most quests have far too many monsters in play at once to warrant a melee class with that little health using a die that has a 50% chance to do nothing at all. Swifty's going to be down a lot because he's an easy target; Ten health, poor innate defense and being a warrior class that doesn't use shields means free overlord cards and time wasted having other heroes picking him up. He really needs something to mitigate damage if he's going to be anything more than a liability to his team.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS