please settle an argument over vet in

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

My friend thinks if let's say turr has VI then he sets up as a 9 at the start of the game.
I say it only takes effect once the ship is in play.

Thx

#2 Drakhan Valane

Drakhan Valane

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

Your friend is right. If he wasn't, then no titles that grasnt slots would work.
Rebel Alliance: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290s, 1 YT-1300
Empire: 2 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advance, 1 Lambda Shuttle

#3 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:49 AM

I concur. Your friend is right.

Upgrades are part form the ship, for all effects, the very moment they are selected and equipped in the 'gather forces step'.

Ships are not 'off' and then 'turn on' when the 1st turn is about to begin. Any upgrades, titles, powers and synergies operate the moment they are chosen for the ship.

#4 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

Thx. To be honest i hoped he was right.
Gives more build options to consider strategy wise

#5 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Look at it this way; Slave-1 title.  If upgrades didn't take effect until after the game began, how would you ever add a torpedo to your Firespray build?  It has to take effect the second you add it to your build or it will be completely useless.  Sets at least some strong precedent that various upgrades all take effect the moment they're added to your build.

#6 LemonheadPrime

LemonheadPrime

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

To end the discussion (if it's not already ended), this is mentioned in the newest faq.

You should consider VI as changing the pilot skill number printed on the ship card, so your friend is right.

#7 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

To end the discussion (if it's not already ended), this is mentioned in the newest faq.

You should consider VI as changing the pilot skill number printed on the ship card, so your friend is right.

I hate to reopen a settled topic, but the FAQ doesn't actually address this issue.

The question doesn't relate to what Veteran Instincts does, but rather when it does it.  The rules can be read such that upgrades don't become active until after ships have been set up, in which case Veteran Instincts doesn't change the PS until after setup.

But as several people pointed out above, when we hashed this out we realized that upgrades must be effective at all times - even during the build process, because otherwise cards like Slave 1 or the new Royal Guard TIE titles don't work at all.

#8 LemonheadPrime

LemonheadPrime

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Well, 'printed on the card' must mean that the value is there all along, so I believe it does address the issue.

At any rate, asked and answered, sorry for bumping an old thread.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS