No gunpowder?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hello, first post and all over here in the Fantasy forum. 

i was having an idea for something which I thought that I should open up and see what wiser minds may say. My big grip with Fantasy right now is that there is gunpowder, pretty much and I don't like the presence of so much "advanced" technology as can be with the Empire, Dwarfs and Skaven.. 

So my question is if it would harm the game if one would play in a setting where there's no gunpowder and downplay Clan Skryre's weaponry?

#2 herrquisling

herrquisling

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

It would be somewhat heretical to all long-time fans of the warhammer world but it doesn't hurt the game mechanics that much; you'll find that some action cards won't be used and that ranged combat gets a bit less deadly (just a little bit) - and some of the written adventures won't work. 

As for Clan Skryre, no-one believes in those ratmen anyway.

/herrquisling

#3 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

I would say: why bother?

I have been playing WFRP for many years and I can count the number of times a blackpowder weapon showed up on one hand. There was a blunderbuss in one of the published adventures and there was one session where our GM had a story about a crazed gunman with a prototype sniper rifle.

Gunpowder is not something you run into often in WFRP unless the GM purposefully writes it in there or one of the characters has one. Only Imperial humans and Dwarfs use them at all and even among them, it is a rare sight usually employed by specialized military units and nobles. Usually, people who wants a ranged weapon makes do with a bow, crossbow or throwing weapon.

You do not have to rewrite the Warhammer setting, you just have to be a bit selective about which parts you concentrate on. Which is what a GM does anyway. If you run the premade adventures from FFG you can just rewrite any guns that might show up to bows or crossbows.

Edited by Ralzar, 27 October 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#4 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'd argue that blackpowder plays a key role in the Empire setting's feel especially in Nuln, in regards to Coachmen, every Imperial army that has been fielded over the past 25 years of this game system in the Fantasy Battles.  The dwarfs brought all the steam tech to the Empire.  An entire game system has been created around the technology of canons and ocean-going, steam-powered ships.

A campaign set in Bretonnia however may be different as they're more medieval-style and would fit a more primitive D&D-style campaign.

As for Skaven..they don't exist anyways :)

Edited by Emirikol, 27 October 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#5 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

What the hell are Skaven?

#6 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:36 AM

What the hell are Skaven?

A myth, pay no attention to old wives tales.

• willmanx likes this

#7 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

Sorry for being late but thank you guys for all your kind comments which have given me some additional perspectives on this issue. :)

#8 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Another option is to use alternative campaign time. I know this idea is presented with all(?) editions but I know none who has ever done this. Just run your game prior to gun powder being used in Empire and you are set. Maybe 1111 when the black plague sweeps across the Empire and Van Hel marches with his legions.

edit: That way you could even use this campaign as a historical background if you ever choose to use a setting with gun powder.

Edited by doc_cthulhu, 09 November 2013 - 12:25 PM.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS