Photo

While the Eyes of the Great Are Elsewhere...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Titanium

Titanium

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

With the Black Riders expansion, the FFG development team has done a superlative job fleshing out the Hobbit trait in the LotR LCG. The recurring theme of triggering bonus effects when engaging an enemy whose engagement cost is higher than your threat is very effective, both from a thematic and gameplay perspective. This is in effect an alternate way to trigger a hobbit-style "secrecy bonus", in many ways superior to the original secrecy mechanic. This realization made me wonder whether it might be possible to revitalize the existing secrecy cards along these lines. How about an event or attachment that enables the secrecy discount, conditional on either exclusively using hobbit heroes OR having less threat than the lowest engagement cost enemy in play?

For example:
Swift and Silent
Attachment, Cost: 0
Attach to a hobbit hero. If each of your heroes has the hobbit trait, you may reduce the cost to play cards with the secrecy keyword by the indicated amount, regardless of your current threat level.
"[Hobbits] possessed from the first the art of disappearing swiftly and silently, when large folk whom they do not wish to meet come blundering by..."
-The Fellowship of the Ring

Eyes of the Great Are Elsewhere
Event, Cost: 0
If your current threat is less than the lowest engagement cost of any enemy in play, for the rest of the round you may reduce the cost to play cards with the secrecy keyword by the indicated amount, regardless of your current threat level. If no enemies currently in play, the lowest engagement cost is considered to be 50.
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."
-Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Edited by Titanium, 27 October 2013 - 12:01 PM.

• faith_star83 likes this

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

i like those. i love secrecy and even though the black rider box is clearly centered around low hobbit threat i was dissapointed to not see any real secrecy cards

i hope that ffg dont give up on the mechanic

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 faith_star83

faith_star83

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

Nice card propositions, including sweet source text, nice job! :D Me, too, I love the secrecy trait and hope we will some more cards supporting it and the combination with hobbits woould just be awesome!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS