what expansion should i get

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 jadedbacon

jadedbacon

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have a sort of related question. I am planning to skip LoR because of it's price and just get the Trollfens expansion. Does Trollfens come with a mini-campaign option like they eventually released for LoW? I am finding it easier to do shorter campaigns anyway with how infrequent I get to play. 

Yeah, Trollfens comes with a mini expansion - For Trollfens, FFG included the mini campaign info in the rulebook! :)

Edited by jadedbacon, 01 November 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Never believe in "never"

- Algus Sadalfas

#22 JorduSpeaks

JorduSpeaks

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Since you JUST bought the core set, I would recommend getting Lair of the Wyrm and Trollfens and saving Labyrinth of Ruin for later. To get through all of the quests in the Shadow Rune campaign (the one that comes with the core set), you have to play at least 4 campaigns. LotW and TF both introduce side-quests which can be used during Shadow Rune, in addition to new heroes, monsters, etc.

Then, once you get at least a couple play-throughs of the Shadow Rune campaign, you'll be ready for a completely different campaign, and at that point, I'd pick up Labyrinth of Ruin.

Griton hit the nail on the head here.  The two small expansions are what you should buy first.  If you do get bored with the Shadow Rune campaign, each of the small expansions can be played separately as a mini-campaign.

As for the LT packs.  I think they're great for adding miniatures in place of LT tokens, but they're not really necessary for your first couple of plays.  Some groups find that the game is unfairly stacked against the overlord, and if this is true in your group, then the LT packs become more necessary.  However, some groups find that the game is unfairly stacked against the heroes, and there's no way to tell which kind of group you've got until you've played some games with them.

#23 TheHunterBoy

TheHunterBoy

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

Personally I bought first LoW since I love the dragon theme. In addition Low adds the possibility to go for a little campaign of 5-8 hours, that's a superb option when you're searching for a deep experience with Descent (such as campaign), but no so deep and long (as a MAIN campaign).

BTW, Descent is an awesome fantasy game, and I'd like to collect all the stuff FFG will produce...

For a "tactical" choice I' d suggest you:

1) Play Shadow rune campaign once

2) Play it twice

3) If you have play as OL for the first two campaigns, then play it as hero, two times more

4) Play shadow rune adding LoW (and/or Trollfens)

5) Then go forward and restart from point 1 to point 4, changing Shadow Rune campaign with the Labyrinth exapansion (waiting to do the same process with the upcoming Shadow of Nerekal)

To do this way I'm sure will give you a huge amount of reneving fun with this epic game...

:)

#24 TheHunterBoy

TheHunterBoy

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Personally I bought first LoW since I love the dragon theme. In addition Low adds the possibility to go for a little campaign of 5-8 hours, that's a superb option when you're searching for a deep experience with Descent (such as campaign), but no so deep and long (as a MAIN campaign).

BTW, Descent is an awesome fantasy game, and I'd like to collect all the stuff FFG will produce...

For a "tactical" choice I' d suggest you:

1) Play Shadow rune campaign once

2) Play it twice

3) If you have play as OL for the first two campaigns, then play it as hero, two times more

4) Play shadow rune adding LoW (and/or Trollfens)

5) Then go forward and restart from point 1 to point 4, changing Shadow Rune campaign with the Labyrinth exapansion (waiting to do the same process with the upcoming Shadow of Nerekal)

To do this way I'm sure will give you a huge amount of reneving fun with this epic game...

:)

Ah, I forgot: Lieutenant packs!

I believe that LT packs are a great resource both for the experineced gamers and the developers of Descent at FFG.

For the gamers (as OL) 'cause LT packs give them an amazing opportunity to tailor better their strategy along the campaign, and the more LT packs will come, the more choices will arrive...

Of course, for the FFG guys this is a great way to produce new stuff for Descent at a low price (of course lower than a "boxed" expansion is).

Personnaly, if I was you, I'd buy LT packs only after several champaign's sessions. But, absolutely, I'd buy all of them at the end!!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS