Wedge and secondary weapons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket Launcher

Rocket Launcher

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Does Wedges ability work with secondary weapons? for example If he fires the Advanced Proton does the opponent still minus one defense die for his ability?

#2 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

An attack is an attack, regardless of the weapon used.  So yes.

Wedge+PtL+Advanced Proton Torpedo = guaranteed dead TIE (unless it has an evade token, then it's only like 80% likely to one-shot it)

• agedsuperdave likes this

#3 Khyros

Khyros

• Members
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Wedge+PtL+Advanced Proton Torpedo = guaranteed dead TIE (unless it has an evade token, then it's only like 80% likely to one-shot it)

I don't think your math is quite right.  APT has 5 attack die, and with PTL I'm assuming you have a TL+Focus.  As such, you're rolling at least 3 hits (3 blanks turn to eyes as part of APT, those 3 eyes turn to hits due to the PTL focus).  The probability of rolling at least 2 non-blanks is 98% though.  So without an evade token, you're 98+% likely to one shot the tie (the plus is because you could potentially roll only 4 hits, and the TIE only 1 evade, which is not calculated into that 98%).

As far as if he has an evade, in order to not one shot him, you have to roll 5 hits (98%) and he has to roll 2 evades (14%) or you have to roll 4 hits (~1%) and he has to roll 1+ evade (61%).  So, the probability of one shotting him if he has an evade token is ~85%, not 80%.

Just for S+G, the probability of a APT one shotting a TIE from anyone but Wedge is 1- ( 98% * 32% + 1% * 76%) = 67.88% with an evade, and if he doesn't have an evade: 1 - (98% (roll 5 hits) * 5% (roll 2 evades)+ 1% (roll 4 hits) * 32% (roll 1 evade)) = ~95%.  

So, imo the APT on Wedge vs. TIEs is kinda overkill.  Might as well put it on someone else and have Wedge go after a standard range 1 PTL attack against a different TIE.  And if you do the math: 1 - (77% (rolls 4 hits) * 39% (rolls 2 evades) + 21% (rolls 3 hits) * 86% (rolls 1 or more evades) + 2% (does not roll 3 hits)) = 49.9%, you'll find that Wedge has a 49.9% chance of killing a TIE at range 1 anyways.  Assuming the TIE focused.  Higher if the TIE evaded. 1-  (77% (rolls 4 hits) * 25% (rolls 0 evades)) = 80.7%

The fleet:  

Spoiler

#4 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yes, I was rounding up 98% to guaranteed.  Failing one game in fifty is close enough for me.  And given that I was completely spitballing the 80%, I'll take the actual of 85% as close enough for the purposes of the discussion and be pretty proud of being that close.

• Jolleyone likes this

#5 Marten

Marten

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

I don't think your math is quite right.  APT has 5 attack die, and with PTL I'm assuming you have a TL+Focus.  As such, you're rolling at least 3 hits (3 blanks turn to eyes as part of APT, those 3 eyes turn to hits due to the PTL focus).  The probability of rolling at least 2 non-blanks is 98% though.  So without an evade token, you're 98+% likely to one shot the tie (the plus is because you could potentially roll only 4 hits, and the TIE only 1 evade, which is not calculated into that 98%).

As far as if he has an evade, in order to not one shot him, you have to roll 5 hits (98%) and he has to roll 2 evades (14%) or you have to roll 4 hits (~1%) and he has to roll 1+ evade (61%).  So, the probability of one shotting him if he has an evade token is ~85%, not 80%.

Just for S+G, the probability of a APT one shotting a TIE from anyone but Wedge is 1- ( 98% * 32% + 1% * 76%) = 67.88% with an evade, and if he doesn't have an evade: 1 - (98% (roll 5 hits) * 5% (roll 2 evades)+ 1% (roll 4 hits) * 32% (roll 1 evade)) = ~95%.  

So, imo the APT on Wedge vs. TIEs is kinda overkill.  Might as well put it on someone else and have Wedge go after a standard range 1 PTL attack against a different TIE.  And if you do the math: 1 - (77% (rolls 4 hits) * 39% (rolls 2 evades) + 21% (rolls 3 hits) * 86% (rolls 1 or more evades) + 2% (does not roll 3 hits)) = 49.9%, you'll find that Wedge has a 49.9% chance of killing a TIE at range 1 anyways.  Assuming the TIE focused.  Higher if the TIE evaded. 1-  (77% (rolls 4 hits) * 25% (rolls 0 evades)) = 80.7%

Well, you dont ALWAYS play against Tie Fighters. There are other squads nowadays.

What about hitting a Slave, Bomber, or any other ship with more than 3 HP?

All of a sudden it's worth it I think.

Also, you get to use it ONCE. Those 85% vs 68%, well that's 20% higher chance of killing a Tie Fighter with Wedge and when you are up against a Tie Swarm, well you need to concistenly take out Fighters, otherwise it will be a snowball effect.

The only big problem I see with PTL+APT on wedge is he gets this HUGE "Kill me first" sign painted in the face.

#6 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

The only big problem I see with PTL+APT on wedge is he gets this HUGE "Kill me first" sign painted in the face.

Which is something he already has. That's why you see Biggs flying with Wedge so often.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS