Photo

Template off the board but model not at the end...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 saiharris

saiharris

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

So, this cropped up last night, the template goes off the table but by the start and end of the move the model is on the table.

For the life of me I swear there is a part somewhere that says that counts as fled.

Where is this proof or am I wrong?

#2 KineticOperator

KineticOperator

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

You are incorrect.  That was a common misconception due to the rules for obstacles, but the rule is only that you are removed if any part of the base is off the playing area.  This can only happen once you have completed your move.

• VanorDM likes this

#3 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Yeah KO is right.

Techinally the ships don't actually travel from point a to point b. Per the rules they effectively teleport to the end of the manuver template.

The only time you would track their travel along the template is if you run into something.

#4 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Yeah KO is right.

Techinally the ships don't actually travel from point a to point b. Per the rules they effectively teleport to the end of the manuver template.

The only time you would track their travel along the template is if you run into something.

And actually I think the only time is if you run into an obstacle.  Colliding with a ship will force you to move back along your template, but the template technically didn't have anything to do with the collision - only the final resting place of your ship's base determines collision with another ship.  The template is just used to make sure you backtrack accurately.

The only thing in the game that clearly interacts with the template itself is if it overlaps with an obstacle, most commonly an asteroid.  You can move straight through a rock with your ship landing safely on the other side, but if the template overlapped any part of the rock, you have to roll damage.  Same with moving OFF of the rock.  

I lost Biggs once with 2 health remaining when I just barely clipped an asteroid.  He nicked it, rolled damage, took a hit.  Had no way to maneuver off without the template touching the rock, so moved off the rock, rolled damage, took a hit and killed him.

#5 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

The only thing in the game that clearly interacts with the template itself is if it overlaps with an obstacle, most commonly an asteroid.

There are at least a few others.  Proximity Mines are the main one during a maneuver.  Barrel Roll and Boost can't perform the action if the template would overlap a ship or obstacle, as well.

#6 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

Colliding with a ship will force you to move back along your template

That's what I meant. Normally you pick up your ship and place it at the end of the template. But if you land on another ship, you slide it back along the path of the template to the point that they're touching.

Actually running into a Astroid doesn't cause you to move back along the template. You just drop it off at the end like normal, but take damage for the template overlapping the obstacle.

So techincally I was incorrect, but it's only when you overlap another ship that the movement along the template is used, because you backtrack along it to find where you stop. Obstacles are more of a 2 step process. Where you land, and if the template overlapped it.

Bosts and Barrel Rolls also don't really require that you track your momvement along the template, they're a yes/no condistion. Either you can make the move or you can't, but you don't bost part way and stop.

#7 Lizrrdbreath

Lizrrdbreath

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Wait! ridiculously rare hypothetical situation incoming....

So say a ship would land partially off the board but bumps another ship with the bit that is still partially on the board. The ship then moves backwards along the template and is no longer partially off the board (because thats the way the bump ended up). This ship hasn't actually flown off the board has it?

3 x-wings - 2 y-wings - 3 a-wing - 2 b-wings - 1 HWK 290 - 1 YT-1300

6 Tie/ln - 2 Tie/adv - 3 Tie/in - 4 Tie/sa - 1 lambda shuttle - 1 Firespray

Howlrunner is my winggrrl.

#8 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

So say a ship would land partially off the board but bumps another ship with the bit that is still partially on the board. The ship then moves backwards along the template and is no longer partially off the board (because thats the way the bump ended up). This ship hasn't actually flown off the board has it?

Correct.  Only the final position of the ship actually matters.

#9 Lizrrdbreath

Lizrrdbreath

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Cool I assumed as much but I have just never thought of it before.

3 x-wings - 2 y-wings - 3 a-wing - 2 b-wings - 1 HWK 290 - 1 YT-1300

6 Tie/ln - 2 Tie/adv - 3 Tie/in - 4 Tie/sa - 1 lambda shuttle - 1 Firespray

Howlrunner is my winggrrl.

#10 Sergovan

Sergovan

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

Point 3, " Execute Maneuver", on page 7,  under ACTIVATION PHASE:

"Holding the template firmly in place, grip the side walls of the base and lift the ship off the play surface. Then place the ship at the opposite end of the template, sliding the rear guides of the ship into the opposite end of the template."

This ship does not follow the template. It only starts and ends movement at the ends of a template. It only follows the template when overlapping a ship and forced to backtrack on it. So if you start movement in play area and end movement in play area, you are fine.

Note: New FAQ points out that if you barrel roll or boost out of play area, but your movement would take you back in, you don't get to reveal your dial as your action has taken you off the play area and are considered to have fled the battlefield and the ship is immediately destroyed.

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: 11 of 11; 3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; 12 of 28

#11 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

For instance last night I executed a move near the edge of the board, only to have my buddy block my path. Once I adjusted for collision my corner was JUST over the edge, and that was the end of him.

#12 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

Just gonna play it as the majority is until I get word from FFG letting me know otherwise.

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist, 24 October 2013 - 07:20 PM.

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 Headhunter (3)YT-1300 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces

SOONtir -  (6) Rebel Aces

#13 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

"If a ship executes a maneuver that causes ANY PART of it's base to go outside of the play area (beyond any edge), then that ship has fleed the battlefield. Unless specified by a mission overview, ships that flee the battlefield are immediately destroyed." - Rulebook page 17

The standard place movement template then pick up and place down doesn't apply here. If the manuever template either leaves the battlefield or is close enough to the edge that if the base would be outside the play area even by a mm....then it is destroyed.

I don't believe this is correct, sorry.

It says any part of the base - it says nothing about the maneuver template.  And the FAQ makes it clear that the ship does not 'travel' the length of the move template - it starts at one end, is picked up and moved to the other end.  As long as the ship starts and lands safely inbound, there's nothing in the rules in indicate that the template crossing the map edge destroys your ship.  In fact I would argue just the opposite since it clearly says the ship does not physically cross that distance.  It is just picked up and moved to the other end, barring collision.

#14 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

and that was the end of him.

Your ship or your buddy?

"Let the Wookiee win."

Edited by VanorDM, 24 October 2013 - 08:57 AM.

• Smuggler likes this

#15 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

I am waiting for a reply from FFG about thier ruling on this.

The FAQ already answered this.

Page 4 top question.

Q: Can overlapping other ships cause the active ship to flee the battlefield?
A: Yes, if any part of the ships base in its final position (after moving backward) is outside the play area, then the ship has fled the battlefield.

Even though we're not talking about overlapping, the rule is quite clear. The only thing that counts is the final position of the ships base.

Edited by VanorDM, 24 October 2013 - 09:04 AM.

• CrookedWookie likes this

#16 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

and that was the end of him.

Your ship or your buddy?

"Let the Wookiee win."

Both.   :angry:

:D

#17 CrookedWookie

CrookedWookie

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

"If a ship executes a maneuver that causes ANY PART of it's base to go outside of the play area (beyond any edge), then that ship has fleed the battlefield. Unless specified by a mission overview, ships that flee the battlefield are immediately destroyed." - Rulebook page 17

The standard place movement template then pick up and place down doesn't apply here. If the manuever template either leaves the battlefield or is close enough to the edge that if the base would be outside the play area even by a mm....then it is destroyed.

I am waiting for a reply from FFG about thier ruling on this.

To come at this another way, I highlighted what I find to be the most interesting part of your argument.  "the standard...doesn't apply here."  

Ok...where are you getting that from?  That's a fairly bold statement, as rules apply in all situations unless something, somewhere, specifically states that they do not.  I don't remember having seen anything to this effect anywhere, so either you just kind of decided that on your own, or I missed that ruling.

If I did, in all seriousness, I apologize.  Point me at it and I'll go check it out.  But I don't remember seeing anything stating that your move template is at no point allowed to cross the map edge, only your ship base.

#18 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

so either you just kind of decided that on your own, or I missed that ruling.

You didn't miss anything. As I pointed out, Pg 4 of the FAQ already covers this.

#19 Bjorn Rockfist

Bjorn Rockfist

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Just gonna play it as the majority is until I get word from FFG letting me know otherwise.

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist, 24 October 2013 - 07:21 PM.

Rebel - (4)X-Wing (5)Y (5)A (4)B (3)E (6)HWK-290 (8)Z-95 Headhunter (3)YT-1300 (2)GR-75 (1)CR-90

Empire - (8)TIE Fighter (4)Advanced (5)Interceptor (6)Bomber (3)Defender (4)Phantom (3)Firespray-31

(4)Lambda-class Shuttle (4)Imperial Aces

SOONtir -  (6) Rebel Aces

#20 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'll wait for an official ruling from FFG becaue no the FAQ does not clearly cover this.

The rule book is pretty clear.

If a ship executes a maneuver that causes any part of it's base to go outside the play area, then that ship has fled the battle field."

But since a ship does not travel the length of the template, then the final resting point of the base is the only thing that counts. The phrase "to go" does not refer to the base leaving the play area during the maneuver, because the ship doesn't actually travel from point a to point b. As far as the rules go, it "teleports" from one point to the other, and ignores all intervening space.

In this case, the phrase "to go" does not mean what you think it means. It means that when you put the ship in the final position, if that maneuver you just preformed causes the ship to go ouutside the play areas.

Execute Maneuver: Holding the template firmly in place grip the side walls of the base and lift the ship off the play surface. Then place the ship at the opposite end of the template...

At no point in this step do you pay any attention to where the ship is along the path of the template. You pick it up from where it is and place it at the other end.

If the template passes over a obstacle, you deal with the rules for that. But that has nothing to do with the edge of the play area. If your ship stops and overlaps another ships base, then you move back along the template to see where you are touching, but no longer overlapping.

The FAQ on page 4 makes it extremely clear that once again only the final position of the base matters for checking to see if a ship has fled the battle.

No where in any of the rules does the position of the ship during the maneuver matter, or is even mentioned. The only thing that even comes close is when you are overlapping a ship.

Edited by VanorDM, 24 October 2013 - 02:25 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS