Caldara

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

Been using her a little bit in an Ally heavy Mono Spirit Deck, and she can be a beast at the right time.  The deck is on cardgamdb, the first Caldara deck posted(I did not make it, but did tweak a bit.)

Just played Road to Rivendell, Sleeping Sentry killed 2 Ethir Swordsman and a Shipwright.  Next turn I threw her away to bring those 3 back for free, which amounted to 8 WP per turn.   Losing the resource kinda sucks, but depending on what time you use her ability, 100% worth it.   She also has solid synergy with Emery.

Enjoy that the designers are coming out with interesting strategies.

#2 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

I thought you could only bring back up to 2 allies with Caldara.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#3 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

With Desperate Alliance could be good. If your friend play with a monospirit deck friend, you can get 3 strong allies to your friend.

M1633.png

If one of these heroes is eowyn he is discarding the strong allies each round, and when he is ready, you play Desperate Alliance to pass to him the control of Cadara, she quests (or defends or attack) and after discard her, 3 strong allies coming back!!!

:)

And maybe after, your friend can get the Fortune or Fate, to return back your Caldara.

M1054.png

Only you need 1 spirit hero, Caldara, the other 2 heroes can be from other sphere (because your friend has 3 spirit heroes)

Edited by Mndela, 22 October 2013 - 08:13 AM.

Wizard is never late... only comes last round

#4 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

With Desperate Alliance could be good. If your friend play with a monospirit deck friend, you can get 3 strong allies to your friend.

M1633.png

If one of these heroes is eowyn he is discarding the strong allies each round, and when he is ready, you play Desperate Alliance to pass to him the control of Cadara, she quests (or defends or attack) and after discard her, 3 strong allies coming back!!!

:)

And maybe after, your friend can get the Fortune or Fate, to return back your Caldara.

M1054.png

Only you need 1 spirit hero, Caldara, the other 2 heroes can be from other sphere (because your friend has 3 spirit heroes)

This idea is only one idea in my opinion where she worse it.

Wizard is never late.......

#5 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Ah, yea the each OTHER thing got by me.  Either way worth it/fun to play around with

#6 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, no more than 2 allies. Still a pretty good ability, especially if you deliberately discard powerful allies first.

#7 Spurries

Spurries

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, no more than 2 allies. Still a pretty good ability, especially if you deliberately discard powerful allies first.

Right, and with 2 WP, 2 Defense, useful hero anyway for 8 threat.  Sort of like Mirlonde(swapping Defense for Attack).  Basically the designers version of her for Spirit in my mind.

#8 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

That's true! I've never found much use for Mirlonde, unfortunately. Even with a mono-lore deck (which is probably the most playable type of mono-sphere deck, but still very limiting), her ability isn't that great even compared to her threat cost.

#9 Thanatopsis

Thanatopsis

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

That's true! I've never found much use for Mirlonde, unfortunately. Even with a mono-lore deck (which is probably the most playable type of mono-sphere deck, but still very limiting), her ability isn't that great even compared to her threat cost.

Just thought of this:
Mono-Lore with Mirlonde, Bilbo, and Pippin.
- Mirlonde drops your starting threat by 3
- Pippin increases enemy engagement cost by 2

That's a starting threat of 20 with a total threat vs. engagement 'differential' of 5.

#10 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

I stand corrected. Combined with Lore Pippin, her usefulness does increase. I still think the secrecy theme is underdeveloped and I rarely prioritise low threat over high stats - but that's coming from someone who favours Elrond (13 threat).

#11 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yeah she has some interesting abilities absolutely, but she still makes my list of three worst heroes so far.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#12 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

once silvan is developed on, she will get better. i see silvan being low threat (not hobbit low, but lower than noldor), so her ability will be useful i think

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#13 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

once silvan is developed on, she will get better. i see silvan being low threat (not hobbit low, but lower than noldor), so her ability will be useful i think

rich

That's a pretty good idea as a characteristic of the silvan, I hope they go in that direction.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#14 CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

I find Caldara to be quite a let down. I'm not finding the adventure pack quests to be much fun this cycle, so i'm pretty much just buying the packs for the player cards, so a "hero" like this is disappointing.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS