SMALL Small Box Expansions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 countermeasures

countermeasures

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

One thing I (and many others, I'm sure) would love to see, is expansion decks that can be purchased that have more encounters for the big box expansion locations (locations in Dunwhich, Kingsport, Innsmouth, etc..). The big box expansions have so few options for encounters, a few plays, and you've seen them all! I have four expansion (two big, two little), so Arkham Encounters are decently sized now, but the other boards are preeeetty skimpy.
If FFG sold decks that contained only encounters for those locales, I know I would buy them!

#2 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

I know I would too... although after more than 100 games, yesterday I still got some new Arkham encounters. Of course, I don't have complete knowledge of them (no spoilers), but I bet I've seen less than half of the encounters at the Docks, St. Mary's, the Asylum, the Church, the Inner Sanctum, the Police Station, Velma's, the Library, Administration, and that's just counting Arkham.

Anyway, welcome to the carnival!

• countermeasures likes this

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Countermeasures, have you considered getting Miskatonic Horror? With MH, each neighborhood on each expansion boards has an extra 20 Location Cards to be added to the original decks! In this way, some variety should be granted :)

Edited by Julia, 21 October 2013 - 03:28 PM.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Countermeasures, have you considered getting Miskatonic Horror? With MH, each neighborhood on each expansion boards has an extra 20 Location Cards to be added to the original decks! In this way, some variety should be granted :)

Which, mathematically speaking, means that each expansion board gets at least 100 individual encounters in total. Which means that one could, conceivably, play a hundred games and STILL not have every encounter.

#5 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

Though it has to be said that even with Miskatonic Horror, not every encounter is unique ...

• Julia and countermeasures like this

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:45 AM

Though it has to be said that even with Miskatonic Horror, not every encounter is unique ...

:laughter:

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#7 countermeasures

countermeasures

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

I didn't realize that! I've been working my way up to Miskatonic Horror. Currently have Dunwich, Kingsport, Lurker, and Curse of The Dark Pharaoh (revised). Full disclosure: I only got Kingsport for the encounters, investigators, and ancient ones :) - And I found it brand new for $20.00 - which is a freaking steal! And only got Lurker because I loved the idea of more sentient gates (though I play with both new and old gate tokens at the same time).

I read a lot of reviews, and at least for now, I'm trying to not get too much into the ones that more-drastically change the AH mechanics... But, now knowing that Miskatonic has so many more encounters, that will probably be next on my list!

Thanks!

#8 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

I've always wished they'd do this- really small expansion packs like the Cthulhu card game gets every couple months or so . Maybe throw in a couple new Monsters...

Didn't realize Miskatonic added that much to the Location decks.

#9 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

I didn't realize that! I've been working my way up to Miskatonic Horror. Currently have Dunwich, Kingsport, Lurker, and Curse of The Dark Pharaoh (revised). Full disclosure: I only got Kingsport for the encounters, investigators, and ancient ones :) - And I found it brand new for $20.00 - which is a freaking steal! And only got Lurker because I loved the idea of more sentient gates (though I play with both new and old gate tokens at the same time).

I read a lot of reviews, and at least for now, I'm trying to not get too much into the ones that more-drastically change the AH mechanics... But, now knowing that Miskatonic has so many more encounters, that will probably be next on my list!

Thanks!

:) You're welcome :) And Encounters from Location Decks aren't that brutal, and add a lot to the game. If you're afraid of the difficulty boost, simply do not use Miskatonic Mythos, and you should be fine!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS