Playing only with the expansion board?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gwion

Gwion

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hi, I wonder if it could be possible (and interesting) to play only with a expansion board without the Arkham Board. Like for example to play a game only set in Dunwich or Kingsport.

(Is there any house rules for this?)

It mainly for the challenge of having less resources and to experience the flavor of the expansions towns in greater concentration. 

Edited by Gwion, 21 October 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Gwion,

While it might be interesting, it is wholly impossible.  By the way, Welcome to the Carnival! ;)

The game is entirely Arkham-centric and while the expansions with or without boards add an exceptional amount of flavor and theme, you can't simply play without the main board.  While I'm an "all-in" player, there's a huge community of Arkhamites who love to engage the game with one, maybe two, expansions at a time.  Don't worry, someone will be along any minute to assist you.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Gwion

Gwion

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Joe, I have been reading the forum on and off for some time. My group regularly play the game, but I notice that we never take or have the time to truly explore the expansions boards and encounters. This is why I was thinking a bout this. 

Edited by Gwion, 21 October 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#4 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

As someone who also loves to play with the exploration of the board, I do this simple rule to allow for lots of extra fun:

Always, ALWAYS draw an Encounter card for the Investigator, no matter if they've used the spot's special ability or not--and even if they closed the Gate during that turn too. That way they always get to do or see something unless they're parked in the street. Moreover, at the start of the game, after you've set everyone up with their gear but before you do anything else (including the Mythos phase) have everyone draw an Encounter card for their Investigator's location. Heck! Pull off drawing a Mythos card for the opening and wait a full round! It lets everyone get at least two whole Encounters before they have to start running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

As for playing with just the expansion, like the Professor said, you really can't play with just an expansion since a lot of stuff is based around Arkham (especially all the other worlds--you'd run out of Gates really quick if you, say, just used Dunwich's gates and then BAM! Instant AO!).

Ursula is a character designed to be used for exploring Encounters, so I would recommend following her lead on everything except her "Adventurer" ability. If you want people to have even more fun, let them chose their starting location, even in the Expansion board. It makes the game a smidgen bit easier at the start BUT it will allow for people to experience all manner of Encounters.

In the time I started using these few basic rules, I realized just how much you miss playing only to close Gates.

#5 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Maybe they should think about including a "Streets" deck into the next expansion :)

Not that there's ever going to be one...

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

IIRC, someone else tried this some time ago. He received some sort of feedback for a Dunwich only game, with different rules for seals and shortened doom track for the AOs. Don't remember exactly the specifics, but maybe you could look more carefully in the Fan Creation section of this very forum.

As for exploring further locations and stuff, you can use the excellent A Shadow from the Past custom Guardian created by Amikezor:

AShadowFromThePast-Guardian.jpg

Additionally, in order to see certain cards enter play more often, you can use Hermes, another custom Guardian created by Amikezor as well:

Hermes-Guardian.jpg

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Dr. Faust,

That's an excellent suggestion, and one I know is a tried and true method of many Arkhamites ~ it has worked for a quite a few players whom I met at Arkham Nights a few years back and even with my brother's gaming group in Philadelphia.  Allow the players/Investigators a one-Turn respite from the insanity by drawing a card at their (or other) location, pick-up a few Clue tokens, and get into the rhythm before all hell brakes loose! 

Cheers,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 21 October 2013 - 04:08 PM.

The Professor

#8 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

It's what I like to call, Professor, the 'Calm Before the Storm'. I based it off a horror movie--in fact, I don't even reveal the Ancient One I'll be playing against UNTIL I've done that first round for the thematic feel of it--essentially, the Investigators are going about their lives, they discover the clues or have the Encounter and that is what draws them into the struggle against the Ancient One. Like you said, it's a fun way to really get into the groove, have a chance to organize your forces and trade of items before anything can really stop you. More over, it's just one round, so it does not, by any means, make the game easier in the long run, especially since you don't know who the Ancient One is, and thus, can only plan so far.

• The Professor likes this

#9 Schwaig

Schwaig

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:33 AM

Though it has to be said that even with Miskatonic Horror, not every encounter is unique ...

Edit: Thats does not belong to this thread, sorry

Edited by Schwaig, 22 October 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Dr. Faust,

Well-stated ~ "The Calm Before the Storm" is an apt name.  I do like your "not revealing the AO" concept...I might incorporate it into my Variant. 

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

#11 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

Well-stated ~ "The Calm Before the Storm" is an apt name.

:laughter: Giacomo Leopardi says "thank you" from his grave... :P :P :P

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#12 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

...and for those of you nearer to Rome, that's

La quiete dopo la tempesta

The Professor

#13 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

Brilliant, Joe :)

#14 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Julia,

Grazie!

Ciao,

Joe

The Professor

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS