Passage through Middle-Earth for 4 players

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

I preparing for LOTR campaign with 4 players (far tested these four decks solo).

so far, I played 19 scenarios:

1.  Passage Through Mirkwood.
2.  Journey Down The Anduin.
3.  Escape From Dol Guldur.
4.  The Hunt For Gollum.
5.  Conflict At The Carrock.
6.  A Journey To Rhosgobel.
7.  The Hills Of Emyn Muil.
8.  The Dead Marshes.
9.  Return To Mirkwood.
10. Into The Pit.
11. The Seventh Level.
12. Road To Rivendell.
13. The Watcher In The Water.
14. The Long Dark.
15. Shadow And Flame.
16. Peril In Pelargir.
17. Into Ithilien.
18. The Steward's Fear.
19. Encounter At Amon Din.

Past these 19 scenarios with no problem. I tried it four others that I can not for the pass:

The Redhorn Gate - Combo Caradhass and Snowstorm (especially when you have five Snowstorm cards in the encounter deck) in last stage is terrible.
The Siege Of Cair Andros - In last stage had an infinite loop: I had four cards in the encounter deck - Lieutenan Of Mordor and The Power Of Mordor, so I had to lift the threat of 3 to infinity.
The Druadan Forest -  Keywords Prowl I hate it. wounded I crawled far into the 2nd stage and there I died.
Assault on Osgiliath - I controlled all areas of Osgiliath without Ruined Tower, to which I could not travel - "Travel: If there is one active location, exhaust a character to travel here. (There are now two active locations.)" - This is the only way to traveling here?

has anyone tried these four scenarios for 4 players? It really be that deadly?

Edited by 13thcaesar, 27 October 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#2 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

I wonder how many people are playing with 4 players? In this forum, I see the majority of players are solo (or playing with two hands), some people play on two, a handful of the three players, but honestly rarely met someone wrote that playing on 4 players.
I wonder if this is due to a problem find four people (though I doubt it), or time that must have to spend on this type of game, or the level of difficulty - although the real challenge met so far with the above-mentioned four scenarios?

• Troymk1 likes this

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

i did a poll quite a while back on that;

A Exclusively Solo player
B Exclusively 2 players
C Exclusively 3-4 players
D Both 1 and 2 player, though mainly Solo
E Both 1 and 2 player, though mainly 2 playes
F Equal mixture of 1-4 players

G Equal mixture of Solo and 2 player

H Mixture of Multiplayer (excluding solo)

results:

A- 16

B-4

C-2

D- 14

E-5

F-5

G- 3

H - 5

as you can see, '3-4 players exclusively' got only 2 votes. of course the poll is only from the players back then who visit this forum, but you can see at least an idea.

as for why few play 4 player....well i think these factors:

-this is one of the few solo games available, and perhaps the only one for lotr so will naturally attract alot of solo players

-its easier to gather another friend than 3 others

-many gamers dont know/ arent near a gaming club (myself in this reason)

another reason is the whole 'needs another core set to play 3-4 players' which probably puts players off....personally i dont think you need to and more players would join if the box said 1-4 players, but i guess with there not being 4 trackers and enough tokens.....

rich

Edited by richsabre, 20 October 2013 - 02:35 PM.

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

i did a poll quite a while back on that;

A Exclusively Solo player
B Exclusively 2 players
C Exclusively 3-4 players
D Both 1 and 2 player, though mainly Solo
E Both 1 and 2 player, though mainly 2 playes
F Equal mixture of 1-4 players

G Equal mixture of Solo and 2 player

H Mixture of Multiplayer (excluding solo)

results:

A- 16

B-4

C-2

D- 14

E-5

F-5

G- 3

H - 5

as you can see, '3-4 players exclusively' got only 2 votes. of course the poll is only from the players back then who visit this forum, but you can see at least an idea.

as for why few play 4 player....well i think these factors:

-this is one of the few solo games available, and perhaps the only one for lotr so will naturally attract alot of solo players

-its easier to gather another friend than 3 others

-many gamers dont know/ arent near a gaming club (myself in this reason)

another reason is the whole 'needs another core set to play 3-4 players' which probably puts players off....personally i dont think you need to and more players would join if the box said 1-4 players, but i guess with there not being 4 trackers and enough tokens.....

rich

Thanks Rich, I have not seen before this probe (then would have 3 votes  ;) )
but explains a lot  (Now I see that I belong to a minority in this forum  ;) )

Yes, this is one of the best games solo - I do not doubt it, i think  (and of course the fact that it is based on the books Tolkien'a) is the main reason for its popularity.
The fact that I bought a second core set to have four trackers, is possible to play without them, but the two players he feels uncomfortable to write about your threat on a piece;)
I don't have  a problem gather 4 players,  just because when I show once to somebody  this game ... and he become addicted from this game  ;)
I believe that the game works superbly with 4 players (only these four scenarios I don't know how to bite  :angry: )

Edited by 13thcaesar, 20 October 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

no problem ;)

i see your point about being in a minority....as i say, it may be down to the box saying 3-4 player availability only with two core sets....potential player groups may see this and think 'i can either buy this game twice, or go and find a game which i only need to buy once'...if these players were told it is mainly the trackers that is the problem perhaps we would see more 4 player groups.

...then again perhaps im talking rubbish (as usual ;) )

i cannot really comment at length on player groups. i have only played a handful of times with 3 player, and i enjoyed it very much. playing in a group has a distinctive feel to it, very different to playing on your own (initially wrote 'playing by yourself' haha)

both have their good sides....when playing solo i can get into the theme, and the immersion is higher, but group play is more of a 'game' game, to me at least... to have with some beers and a chat with friends

rich

Edited by richsabre, 20 October 2013 - 03:28 PM.

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#6 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

This game is a thematic even with 4 players (but I know what you mean) - that's why I want to play this campaign to show the narrative side of this game to other players (as the story develops - my group  saw just a movie, so I also become as a guide the Middle-Earth).

How I introduced it to one topic, I wish I could play the campaign in a tournament (the official tournament rules do not appeal to me) - split us into two two-person group that will be able to be combined in the main cities, but at the same time each player will compete with others. - And see which one of us go to far  (would use a rule of the fallen heroes). but first  I wants , my group has gained experience, learn strategies for each scenario and show them narrative side of this game. so I first want to play the campaign with 4 players.

I'm waiting for the moment when we will be able to do a typical theme decks for every race / faction - then everyone will be able to represent your favorite race and compete with the "family" site. I hope that before this game dies, we will have developed enough of all races / factions will be represented with all the free peoples of Middle-earth  :) 

And available all regions of Middle-earth. it would be great playing such a campaign (Passage through Middle-earth) if we had available all  regions and developed all races/ factions.
For example: You want to play hobbits? start of quests in the Shire. Do you want to represent Gondor?  Welcome  in the Minas Tirith.

Edited by 13thcaesar, 20 October 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#7 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

back to the topic - now I start tested these four decks solo (I know that playing four hands is easier, because I see the cards of all players, but it's even better when in the game on  the four people (in addition three not very experienced) will increase the level of difficulty a little bit, because for now these 19 quests is very easy (excluding those four deadly scenarios - I have no idea how to go, but we will try - every four heads are better than one - although I doubt the advice we give them.)
So first I must  test the decks on all available scenarios, if necessary fine-tuning them. in December, we start already played a "normal" campaign for 4 people, and in the future, we try this tournament campaign  :)

Edited by 13thcaesar, 27 October 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#8 zyxaaron

zyxaaron

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

back to the topic - now I start tested these four decks solo (I know that playing four hands is easier, because I see the cards of all players, but it's even better when in the game on  the four people (in addition three not very experienced) will increase the level of difficulty a little bit, because for now these 19 quests is very easy (excluding those four deadly scenarios - I have no idea how to go, but we will try - every four heads are better than one - although I doubt the advice we give them.)
So first I must  test the decks on all available scenarios, if necessary fine-tuning them. in December, we start already played a "normal" campaign for 4 people, and in the future, we try this tournament campaign  :)

The group I play with run 3-4 players almost exclusively. We find that the quests become very challenging and enjoy the teamwork needed to win each game. Lately we've been running mono-decks with each player running one of the spheres. Honestly the mono decks are very powerful especially in a 4 player game as all tools needed to win are included in someone's deck.

• Troymk1 likes this

#9 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

yes! in the end I managed to beat The Siege Of Cair Andros to 4 players decks! This were hard, it was really one last heroic effort - I had a  victory display The Citadel and Lieutenant Of Mordor, so the last quest card gains battle. I commit to the quest all characters , praying only  not revealed Orc Assault and I had a 15 strength of attack (Gimli with 4 damage and two dwarven axe rule), just as much, as I needed!

Edited by 13thcaesar, 03 November 2013 - 03:36 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS