Help with first game :S

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

As for tweeking I unfortunately mean adding cards you would not get from certain sets for example an engine upgrade that only comes in the falcon so lets ignore that.

As to 3 B-wing lists I've yet to try any or play against any but the cookie cutter looks good, I like the fact that they are dagger squadron.

My only thoughts in the back of my mind have always been to try to find lists that let you buy ships that in turn give you many squad options in the future with the same ships.

Not sure if 3 B-wings does that for you, or an A, Y and B either as you may not use the A-wing that much but will use push the limit and the Y-wing.

That said I hear the Y-wing is out of stock so POO to that idea anyway.

My two cents, Stick with squad 1 unless you find your friends list is killing everyone including practised flyers.

Assuming he will be running it before you order your ships.

#42 flail3

flail3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

He won a local store trench run tournament with the list. Kept getting very close to ships and concentrated on getting in range 1, and used the A-wing to alpha strike the weakest ship just to lower numbers turn 1 and then used it for harassment. He did rather well. I just watched as I wasn't playing yet. His previous 3x B-wings all with Ion Cannons also did quite well by running people off the board. And please include ideas that involve buying other sets, this will be great for my future reference :)

#43 VanorDM

VanorDM

Rules Ninja

• Members
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

And is that any good? And are there any variants?

I've had some success with it, but how it does will depend greatly on the skill of both players. You won't find it hard to win, because the list is bad, but it also won't be quite as easy to use as a Hand Shot First list.

There aren't any variants really, because the whole list is based on the idea of 3 HLC's.

#44 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

He won a local store trench run tournament with the list. Kept getting very close to ships and concentrated on getting in range 1, and used the A-wing to alpha strike the weakest ship just to lower numbers turn 1 and then used it for harassment. He did rather well. I just watched as I wasn't playing yet. His previous 3x B-wings all with Ion Cannons also did quite well by running people off the board. And please include ideas that involve buying other sets, this will be great for my future reference :)

Sounds like he's fairly on the money, skills and ides wise. 

as far as further ideas we could probably be at it all day with combos of cards from other lists with other ship upgrades there is no definite winner.

Another thread would probably better nearer the time. But......

There are certain combos that seem to be tried and popular to think about if you want to consider which upgrades you wish to get hold of in future.

I.e.  Wedge w/ PTL + R2 astro

Luke w/ R2D2 + shield ( sometimes with Draw their Fire )

Ibtisam w/ PTL    ( personally a friend also flies this but with an engine upgrade also, very annoying)

#45 flail3

flail3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ok so thanks to the advice on this thread I won! He concentrated too much on the small craft trying to ion them off the board that he ignored the firespray which after destroying the 2x B-wings the rest of the unit made short work of Biggs. Ok so the next list I am against is the store tourney champ and later that day him again with an experimental list he wants to try out. List is same as usual, vs:

2x Rebel Operative with Ion Cannon Turret

2x Blue Squadron Pilot with Autoblaster+Fire Control System

and his experimental list:

4x Blue Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon

How to defeat these. I know the first is scary as he won with it, but 4 B-wings? that will be slow and rubbish surely. Not really afraid of that. So how do I counter first one?

• DraconPyrothayan likes this

#46 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

The "counter" to a pair of Rebel Operatives with Ion Turrets and a pair of Blues with auto blasters is mostly STAY AT RANGE.  The idea behind that squad is to ionize something with the RO's so you'll know where it will be next turn and then swoop in with the B-Wings next turn and pop the target.  The thing to keep in mind is that the ROs aren't too tough and only take five hits before they're gone and only one before they need to worry about criticals.

The auto-blasters will be nasty to the TIEs but aren't as scary against the less maneuverable Firespray.

#47 flail3

flail3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

So concentrate all fire on the rebel operatives and ignore the B-wings and stay at range as much as pos?

#48 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

Part of the "strategy" behind that 2:2 build is that you'll ignore the 'weak' HWKs and instead go for the easier to hit (1 defense vs. 2) but harder hitting B-Wings.  Now IF you could drop a B-Wing fast enough you may want to go for one of those instead but as it is presented the HWKs are the setup men for big, and often hard to avoid, attacks from the B-Wings.  The idea is that the Ion Turrets control you giving him the advantage.

As for staying at range you should remember the ion turrets only reach range 2 and the autoblaster is only good at range 1.  If you're outside those ranges then you've negated the points that were spent for those upgrades and are winning that way.  While you may want to stay at range you'll probably need to drop in close to make some kills but if you can avoid ionization you'll have that option.

#49 swampthing

swampthing

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

I have nothing to add. Sounds like a plan.

As to beating the four bwings/ ion.
Just focus fire. Give him all your ships as targets at once but make sure they all have sights on his would be my plan. The range of his ions will be your only problem.
He can't ion all your ships in one turn. if you can take down one that just tips the odds further.

Just an idea.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS