• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Julia. :)

re.1) That's ok then. So Silas can move directly to Devil Reef, stay for an encounter, and then move on to Y'ha-nthlei during the next turn. That's how I figured it worked, so I'm happy with that.

re.2) Great. That's one problem solved. But does that same answer apply to Hounds in Innsmouth as well?

Dunwich and Arkham are linked by depot Locations, and the Hound moves between locations. But the depot in Innsmouth is in a street area. Does that make a difference? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. :rolleyes:

re.3) I was hoping you were going to say you used both. I will give it a try at some point now that I know it can be done.

The 'empty gate stack rule' has crossed my mind too, but I don't think it's a problem. To me it seems very similar to the 'empty monster cup rule.' But that rule is diluted as soon as you add expansion board monsters.

There is one remaining issue though. The illustrations on the back of the two sorts gate markers are different. Does it matter if you know beforehand whether the next gate is a 'standard' or 'Lurker' gate?

Maybe a gate cup could be a solution to that problem?

Edited by Lee418, 20 November 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#22 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Yes, you figured out the Devil Reef - Yha'nthlei sequence correctly.

As for the depot questions, it really doesn't matter if it's a real location or a street area. It's the same for Kingsport (street area as well). There are some speculations about the "what if an investigator is in Y'hanthlei vs The Witch House with a Hound of Tindalos starting in Innsmouth". Some say core Arkham has precedence over Devil Reef + Y'ha-nthlei, some others say to play it literally. Not so sure this was FAQed somewhere, it has been a while since I dived into the FAQ extensively. But definitely the street depots can be used by the Hounds.

Finally, as for the gates, I do use a gate cup (a plush pumpkin that once was used to contain sweets). I like the idea of not knowing what gates is on the bottom of the stack, plus in this way some bad gates can return sooner.

Edited by Julia, 20 November 2013 - 06:54 PM.

• Lee418 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#23 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Finally, as for the gates, I do use a gate cup (a plouche pumpkin that once was used to contain sweets). I like the idea of not knowing what gates is on the bottom of the stack, plus in this way some bad gates can return sooner.

Bad gates can return sooner...... I hadn't thought of that. But the same is also true of easy gates too I suppose.

Either way I think I might set aside gate trophies that have been sold. If the stack is ever depleted (unlikely) I can put them back in the cup. The main reason I want to mix the Lurker gates with the standard gates is for variety. I don't want to run the risk of drawing the same gates again and again.

#24 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Clearly, bad gates can return sooner as easy gates. As for setting them aside after having them sold somewhere in Arkham... could clearly work. Dunno. I put them back in the cup simply because I do the same with sold monster trophies, but clearly, rules instruct you to put the gate to the bottom of the stack, so that your idea is certainly more consistent with the rules. In any case, playing with both sets is certainly possible

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS