First experiences and questions!

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

Hello Craftseeker and welcome to the carnival!

I'll answer the easy question first: if an ally has "left town" (returned to the box), he is not available anymore, by any means! There's only one investigator that has an exception to this rule, the politician, but he's from an expansion. So, if Duke leaves town looking for greener pastures, you cannot gain him as an ally anymore. You can only gain one of the 11 allies that you randomly chose during setup and that hasn't been returned to the box yet.

Now, there's a lot of house rules on this, but this is how it should be played "by-the-book". Unimportant side-note: I play like this.

Further clarification: discarded allies return to the 11-ally deck, they are not returned to the box. So you can gain them again after they are discarded, just like discarded items returning to the bottom of their decks.

The other question is answered in the FAQ, page 8: Ignore all monsters and clue tokens at the new location. Monsters on the board are only dealt with during the Movement Phase. The investigator has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location, following either the "Gate" or "No Gate" instructions on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.

So, the investigator wouldn't have an encounter, he would enter the gate, but he wouldn't be delayed!

#82 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

I do have a couple of question on a bizarre event on a play through last night.

My mate had an encounter at the historical society that forced him to the woods and draw another 2 encounters there and decide which one to play.

The Woods had a gate on it - does he fall through the gate become delayed and not have an encounter at the woods or does he deal out two encounters at the wood choose one, resolve and continues next turn as normal.

The next question is about allies - once an ally is taken out of the game can they come back in when another card says select for instance Duke as your ally even though Duke with his super canine senses left town when the terror track increased for the first time.

I'm no expert but....

If you draw a card that directs you to have an encounter at another location you still follow the normal encounter rules of Gate/No gate. If there is no gate you have a normal Arkham encounter and draw the approriate card(s). But if there is an open gate at the location you are automatically pulled through it to the Other World. This does not result in a delayed investigator though as they have entered the gate normally.

Investigators are delayed if a gate opens up while they are in the location.  

As far as I know allies that have left town are gone for good. Usually there is a bit of supplimentary text that explains what to do if an Ally card is unavailable. That's what you have to follow in such circumstances. 

Edit: Sorry. Cross-posted with Tox's reply.

Edited by Lee418, 08 November 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#83 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

Tox, by chance, if you have some pictures upped somewhere of your personal storage solutions for Arkham, I'd love to look at them :)

My 160 euro camera stopped working properly a few months ago (I'm never buying another one again)...I'll try to find the older camera and upload some pictures.

Today I also got my bag of Cthulhus, going to paint them and use them as different markers in the game. They're nice little fellas, and they're a LOT :)

• Julia likes this

#84 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

Gate vs No Gate: follow this FAQ for a final clarification:

Q: If a location card tells an investigator that he may move to another location and have an encounter there, what happens if the location has any monsters, clue tokens, and/or a gate on it?
A: Ignore all monsters and clue tokens at the new location.
Monsters on the board are only dealt with during the Movement Phase. The investigator has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location, following either the “Gate” or “No Gate” instructions on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.

So, as Tox and Lee pointed out, if there is a gate, you have to enter (lovely that Firefox crashed after I wrote half a page of answer, and everything got lost :umpf: )

Welcome to the Carnival!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#85 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

Tox, by chance, if you have some pictures upped somewhere of your personal storage solutions for Arkham, I'd love to look at them :)

My 160 euro camera stopped working properly a few months ago (I'm never buying another one again)...I'll try to find the older camera and upload some pictures.

Today I also got my bag of Cthulhus, going to paint them and use them as different markers in the game. They're nice little fellas, and they're a LOT :)

Cthulhu bag for the LCG? Or? Sorry to hear the new camera passed away! But thanks for the willingness in sharing ;)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#86 Craftseeker

Craftseeker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Thanks Tox and Lee for the clarification.

We played the ally correctly - ie because Duke had left the game the player couldn't gain him as an ally.

We played the location event wrong, but our group has a number 1 house rule "Keep the game going!" as opposed to rule referring which slows the game down. (we spent too long as teenagers rule referring playing Warhammer 40K and MtG, when you reach the ages over 30 time is too precious to pour over rule books during Games Night!)  :)

Top Tip (and it's said a lot by gamers and the more it's said the more it makes sense) Make a quick note of strange events decide this is how you will play it and move on. Then go back to the rule post game and find out what the correct way of handling that situation is. Rule Books during play = Time Sinks!

Well this afternoon finding myself on a luxury day off I'm going to play a few solo games and see whether I can defeat an AO or two  :unsure:

• dj2.0 likes this

#87 Craftseeker

Craftseeker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

thanks Julia.

and thanks for the warm welcome to the Carnival

#88 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:47 AM

Start with Azathoth then! No impact on the game, tons of time to understand priorities and strategies and stuff :)

#89 Craftseeker

Craftseeker

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Thanks going to start right now, Azathoth it is then. Might bore the forum later with a game report  :)

• dj2.0 and Julia like this

#90 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

Game reports are never boring :) Good luck with the Sultan!

• dj2.0 and Julia like this

#91 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

The Bag of Cthulhu for the LCG :) But I will use them with Arkham. Thanks to http://boardgamegeek...-project-absurd for the inspiration!

edit: how do I post a link within text?

edit2: I think I got it

Edited by Tox, 08 November 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#92 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Ok, some pics:

Encounter Stands, the inside has green felt to avoid damage to the cards, brown felt outside because I wanted a theme :P

Both stands, I need a third to be able to eventually fit all encounter decks (right now I can only fit one expansion at the time)

The little Cthulhus and their intended use, plus one is going on the terror track and a big Cthulhu is going to be First Player marker.

Book of Secrets! Different view. The inside, almost empty because the game is set up.

Gate and seal holder.

Seals deployed

Gate holders up close.

Seals up close. These are going to be replaced soon, by painted sculptures, currently they have Elder Sign pictures glued on top. Let me know if someone wants me to send them these ones.

The expansion box, Innsmouth is currently deployed but it fits perfectly with everything else.

Mythos and OW encounters holders. Felt on the inside to preserve the edges of the cards.

Other Worlds, used to always play with all OWs.

Other Worlds deployed and how they fit.

Finally, a temporary solution for the small card decks until I can find/build something out of wood. Same for the token holder and the rest of the tokens holder, for extra dice, investigators and spawn monsters.

I'll take some pictures when I deploy everything for the game against the Shapeless Mouths :)

Edited by Tox, 08 November 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#93 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Tox, the pictures are GREAT, thanks for posting them! I sense some "Brico" stuff in here (token, token :P). We use similar holders for so many games!

I'm suffering the pain of all the seven Hells for the translations I've read... "Misterioso Kadath"? Seriously? It's "unknown", not "mysterious". Same for the "Underworld" (aka, the subterrean world) becoming "Inferi" (like a normal, christian Hell)

But I love the picture of the Northpoint Lighthouse you used here. May I ask you about this? Is it a printing from the net, a painting of yours, or what?

The small Cthulhu markers are so brilliant!

#94 Tox

Tox

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Tox, the pictures are GREAT, thanks for posting them! I sense some "Brico" stuff in here (token, token :P). We use similar holders for so many games!

I'm suffering the pain of all the seven Hells for the translations I've read... "Misterioso Kadath"? Seriously? It's "unknown", not "mysterious". Same for the "Underworld" (aka, the subterrean world) becoming "Inferi" (like a normal, christian Hell)

But I love the picture of the Northpoint Lighthouse you used here. May I ask you about this? Is it a printing from the net, a painting of yours, or what?

The small Cthulhu markers are so brilliant!

I know, I know...as I've said, I'll never buy translated again. Maybe if there's ever a re-printing or collector's edition...I may get it to have the ultimate Arkham edition :P

Definitely got the holders from Brico or OBI. Actually I'm going back to OBI now to see if I can find the 3rd holder for Arkham Encounters.

None of the art is mine. It is images I pulled off the internet, or in the case of the OWs, I scanned my expansion boards. I really like the lighthouse, too. It was made by TheABones and you can see it here. Now that I think about it, I may have infringed copyright  :mellow:

This piece also reminds me of the back of the Mythos cards.

More Lovecraftian good art on DeviantArt

#95 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for the links :)

I don't think you violated any copyright (it's for personal use, and you don't sell it). Plus it's on a public site with no disclaimer. I won't bet my house on this, though..

#96 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

You're good to go ~ there's no copyright on the Elder Sign and as Julia stated, you're using it for personal consumption.  Also, there's a number of sellers on Etsy who have been using the image for years.

• Tox likes this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#97 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:34 AM

Slightly belated but no less warm welcomes, Craftseeker :-) Hope to share in your fun reading your accounts. Lovely choice of Elder Futhark for your avatar.
Tox and Professor, I am genuinely continually impressed by the sheer variety and scope of talent and imagination that emerges through our commune of madness. Crafts, play components, house rules, stories, clarifications...all a sign of a very healthy, very alive game. Long may it be so.

Edited by dj2.0, 09 November 2013 - 03:36 AM.

• Tox likes this

#98 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

dj2.0

I couldn't agree more - except for the occasional troll, this is the most polite group in any forum to which I belong.
  • dj2.0, Julia and Tox like this

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#99 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

dj2.0

I couldn't agree more - except for the occasional troll, this is the most polite group in any forum to which I belong.

It's like staying in a gentlemen club in the eighteenth century England. Love it, really, and love many of the friends met here

G'd night folks!

• dj2.0 and Tox like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS