Throat-slitting kills

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#81 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Combat rules assume the defender is more or less aware of the attack and can somewhat defend themselves. Other games often treat the assassin kill as a coup de grâce. Are there coup de grâce rules in EotE?

If not, how about this for a coup de grâce houserule? Make a normal combat check. If you hit, treat it as a critical hit. Each success does extra damage (as normal) and adds +10 to the critical roll. The player can also purchase extra +10 critical hits with advantages, as normal.

#82 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Combat rules assume the defender is more or less aware of the attack and can somewhat defend themselves. 

I don't think I've seen differentiation between aware vs non-aware opponents in the RAW. Where do you see this?

I don't believe there are coup de grace rules. There is a narrative rule of "players don't die immediately when knocked unconscious if their WT is exceeded unless the GM thinks it's appropriate."

Really to be quite honest, I hate hate hate little specific spot rules for random game occasions. Nobody remembers them, it interrupts the game to look them up, and they come up constantly in other systems. I prefer to let the "preparation" rolls like Stealth add Boosts or maybe an Upgrade to the resolution roll (i.e. combat). If you're a Stealth god but only fair at melee, your Stealth roll could easily generate a ton of good die results to boost that melee roll with bonuses and upgrades. It's quick, clean and most importantly uses the existing rules framework.

#83 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

There is somewhere (I'm AFB) a comment on the static defences, that if (and I'm paraphrasing): "the target for some reason cannot or is not actively defending him or herself, the GM can lower the difficulty". It's vague in the book too.

Edited by Jegergryte, 23 October 2013 - 09:00 AM.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS