http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4426

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 koriakin97

koriakin97

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm amazed, we've had it in Poland at least 7 hours ago (maybe much earlier)!!
Before it was officialy available, not three weeks later

#3 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

We'll see, but I think the hidden mechanic and Faramir's action are going to make this quite easy for one hand solo play.
Also, I would have loved to see those stats on Faramir's hero card 2/3/1/4 threat of 10. Much better. Sorry to digress, still bitter.
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#4 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

1. I wonder if the hidden cards are drawn off the event deck or if there is a special deck made.

2. Playing solo this will probably be equal to drawing an extra half card per turn. Not insignificant, but not overwhelming either.

3. What the heck is the Quest Icon anyway?!
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

1. i imagine they are from the quest deck

3. isnt it the icons that show what encounter decks to include in a quest?

rich

#6 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

3. This particular quest icon, what is it? Usually you can tell it's supposed to be a ring or a bat or an orc's head. What is this one?
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#7 Jekzer

Jekzer

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

3. It's the head of a statue at the Crossroads in Ithilien Forest, that was severed and switch by a big round rock with a Sauron-esque eye, painted by orcs.

There's a Location card on this AP, with the image I'm describing :) .

#8 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

http://www.fantasyfl...d-of-gondor.pdf

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#9 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

thanks for that link- the rules seem simple enough

#10 Jekzer

Jekzer

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

So no story for this AP? They broke the story arc they've been developing!  :(

#11 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

So no story for this AP? They broke the story arc they've been developing!  :(

FFG has never published the story in rules to cycle Against Shadow on your website. It is a "reward" you get after completing the scenario . I am sure in the rules is a continuation of the story.

#12 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Just picked it up. The story is there.

#13 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

And just finished my first game. Won it, but I was getting worried during the first quest card when a bunch of shadow cards chained on me. The second card was anti-climactic I thought, but maybe it's harder multiplayer. I'm glad the quest used the siege and battle mechanics again, but that plays into my deck's strengths.

Edit: finished my second game. Much worse draw than my first, but still won. I think that my deck is well positioned against this quest. I would probably put it at Peril in Pelargir level.

Edited by Bullroarer Took, 18 October 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#14 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

And just finished my first game. Won it, but I was getting worried during the first quest card when a bunch of shadow cards chained on me. The second card was anti-climactic I thought, but maybe it's harder multiplayer. I'm glad the quest used the siege and battle mechanics again, but that plays into my deck's strengths.

Edit: finished my second game. Much worse draw than my first, but still won. I think that my deck is well positioned against this quest. I would probably put it at Peril in Pelargir level.

So is easy for solo? Maybe coop is more cool?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#15 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

In some ways this quest is like the early Khazad-Dum quests in that enemies pour out on you except that they generally take more than one hit to kill. I do think it's easier solo because the objective allies of Faramir and Lord Alcaron are pretty powerful and they can certainly counter one hidden card per turn (which is what you draw on stage 1 playing solo). In multiplayer you will be drawing many more hidden cards and they won't have the same effectiveness.

#16 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

Just played 2 games solo. Both wins with an experimental Gondor deck I have been working on the past few day. I don't think it is a particularly strong deck, but it handled this scenario pretty well. I think it is a neat quest, and the hidden mechanic can easly lead to an enemy swarm. Decks that cannot handle seige quests or multiple enimes engaging at once will struggle.

Was it easy? Sort of, it did have a challenge, and moments where I might lose. But, in the end it only took about 15 minutes to complete, and this is how many of this cycles scenarios are going. Cool mechanics, but very short to complete, which tends ro make it easier. One more quest card or some other win condition in these scenarios would extend the challenge of the game.

Waiting a month or more for 15 minute victory is kind of disapointing, especially when it does not push my deck building skills to try and solve the new puzzle of the scenario.

This is probably one of those quests that is pretty good with 2 players, and i bet with 4 it's really tough.

#17 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

Waiting a month or more for 15 minute victory is kind of disapointing, especially when it does not push my deck building skills to try and solve the new puzzle of the scenario.

I hate this feeling.  Couse of this feeling i complain about the game difficulty. Now you also come to this point. 

We need nightmare mode  in the pack straight away...... 

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#18 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Just played 2 games solo. Both wins with an experimental Gondor deck I have been working on the past few day. I don't think it is a particularly strong deck, but it handled this scenario pretty well. I think it is a neat quest, and the hidden mechanic can easly lead to an enemy swarm. Decks that cannot handle seige quests or multiple enimes engaging at once will struggle.

Was it easy? Sort of, it did have a challenge, and moments where I might lose. But, in the end it only took about 15 minutes to complete, and this is how many of this cycles scenarios are going. Cool mechanics, but very short to complete, which tends ro make it easier. One more quest card or some other win condition in these scenarios would extend the challenge of the game.

This is probably one of those quests that is pretty good with 2 players, and i bet with 4 it's really tough.

Well that's a bit disappointing, but at least the new player cards are awesome!

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#19 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

I'm wondering if part of the dissappointment is simply a let down from the Black Riders quests which were great.
  • iznax likes this

#20 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

I'm wondering if part of the dissappointment is simply a let down from the Black Riders quests which were great.

That certainly may be part of it. BR is not too difficult, which is fine, because the quests are really interesting, and there are cool decisions to be made, and the scenarios usually cannot be won in a few rounds. There is more game to them, which makes me feel like I have accomplished something when I complete each scenario. I don't have to loss to enjoy the game, but I would like scenarios that give me more than a few rounds of play before I win. With a longer scenario designs at least there is more of a chance for things to go wrong, or I may even threat out. Another scenario card for Amon Din, AOO, and BoG could have made these quests a much better experience and gave the scenarios more effort to complete. SF and TDF have more game to them because of this. Of course this is all from a solo perspective.

Maybe this cycle has been a reboot for new players to get into the game, since they may not have all the player cards to work with. maybe the scenarios are easier when a player has access to the complete set of player cards.

I would love to hear a new players perspective on this. Of course i could limit myself to the core set, HoN and cards from the cycle. Has anyone tried that? Any difference?

Hopefully, Morgul Vale will turn this around for me.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS