• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ExitJudas

ExitJudas

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

hi all.

My group has played 3-4 games of AH and have now bought quite a few expansions. I am still a bit at a loss on how to integrate them best into the game for a good experience. here is my current understanding after having read a lot on the forums:

1 small & 1 big expansion at a time mostly works best?

usually what is dicussed is the amount and type of mythos cards in your game, and whether these are balanced, so i got the feeling that it is mostly is the mythos deck that only uses cards from base + expansions when you play, while the rest is sorta based on preference.

it seems strange not to include items from all owned expansions into a game no matter what expansions you play with, since it will provide some more variance in picked spells, skills, etc. 

what is your take on this? do you always use all items?

the same goes for encounter cards? they don't seem to be expansion specific, so in the name of variety, why not always use all arkham encounter cards, no matter the expansions chosen for the specific game?

any experience here?

what about other world cards? is it better to only use expansion specific cards here?

any comments would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

I can tell you as another sorta beginning that there are two-types of Mythos: the kind with locations from the Big Box expansions and the kind that have standard gate opens in the base game. I keep the ones with locations from the expansion separate from the rest of the Mythos cards at all times but mix in all the Mythos cards with locations from the base game together. Sometimes, you'll get lucky (or unlucky) and a certain event will occur in an expansion board that you aren't necessarily using BUT, the gate openings will always be relevant to Arkham that way. The only time you might run into trouble with the Dark Pharaoh stuff since some of the mythos cards are specifically regarding things like Exhibit items or being barred/blocked from a neighborhood and you may not be using those elements.

I do mix together the Encounter cards, as long as, again, they are from their appropriate spots. Same with Items and spells.

Edited by Dr.Faust, 16 October 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Everything's always mixed in but Mythos and OW cards that are picked up according to the expansions I'm playing at the moment (in the last 50 games: AH, KH, IH, MH). I always have 2 expansion boards in play, and one of these is always Kingsport.

In the rare case a card specifically refers to something not in play at the moment (for example, the Egyptologist skill), I draw a replacement, but it's very, very rare that this could happen.

Nonetheless, if you're a beginner, I'd suggest you to incorporate all elements for ONE expansion at the time, so that you could see better how that expansion works, what the theme, what the objects and so on. BUT add Injuries and Madnesses as soon as you can, they are vital for the game :)

• Lee418 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 BenEggler

BenEggler

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

Just to throw in my two cents, this is what I do:

I combine all the items from all the expansions together.

I combine all the cards for the actual base board Arkham Location encounters.

However, when it comes to Mythos and Other World cards, I don't combine them. This is what I do.

Every game I play without an expansion board I use the base Mythos cards and take all the Gate Burst cards that have locations in the base Arkham board and put them in the deck as well. Then, I will use the Mythos Cards from Lurker at the Threshold and shuffle those in, as well.

If I'm going to play a game with the Dunwich board, I'll make the decision of either leaving Lurker Cards in the Mythos deck or take them out. I don't like the idea of dilution. I like having a fair amount of gates opening in Arkham and in the expansion board. Not to mention, the theme of the expansion board comes more alive when you only use its appropriate Mythos Cards when you use the board.

For Other World Cards, I use all Other World Cards that have locations from the Base Game. I don't add Other World cards to Other World Locations on another board unless I play with that board. I think it's more fun having encounters that actually use the Other World Location on the card rather than "Other." 

Like Julia said, Injury and Madness cards are essential to all your games. I'm sure you know, but feel free to use Relationship or Personal Story cards, as well. They add a great flair to any game.

#5 ExitJudas

ExitJudas

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

thanks for the great answers.  Does any of you have the miskatonic horror expansion, and if so, do you shuffle in the miskatonic mythos cards, as if they were base board cards?

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,406 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

Yes, I do play always with Miskatonic in. Anyhow, my suggestion is: leave those cards out of the mix for now. They are totally brutal, and it's better practicing for a while before putting those in the mix :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#7 ExitJudas

ExitJudas

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

haha.. will do :D

#8 Lee418

Lee418

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Nonetheless, if you're a beginner, I'd suggest you to incorporate all elements for ONE expansion at the time, so that you could see better how that expansion works, what the theme, what the objects and so on.

I will second this. It's excellent advice that has served me well. :)

I've played between 20 and 30 games of AH so far and still consider myself a complete beginner. When I first picked up a few expansions my initial impulse was to mix them all together. Then I joined these forums and read a post (probably by Julia) that advised new players to test out expasnions individually one at a time. I took that advice and am glad that I did. Playing an expansion in isolation really gives you a feel for that expansion and how it effects the game, without it being mixed or confused with other gameplay elements. Mixing different things together so early, without first understanding how each piece works, sounds like a recipe for overload and confusion to me. 

But it's your game and ultimately your decision.

• Julia likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS