10 things before the game dies

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Weathertop, Saruman, Isengard, 'record' cards, more Osgiliath, and the Mouth of Sauron are all things that I've been desperate to see, and it seems that by the end of the year I'll have everything I've ever wanted for the game! Well, aside from the above six, but I can kinda wait for those to show up...

Took delivery of Blood of Gondor the other day, and I was a bit disappointed by the Black Numenorean, so I suppose I can add The Mouth of Sauron onto my original list as #7.

Unless he isn't supposed to be *that* Black Numenorean..?

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#62 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

Weathertop, Saruman, Isengard, 'record' cards, more Osgiliath, and the Mouth of Sauron are all things that I've been desperate to see, and it seems that by the end of the year I'll have everything I've ever wanted for the game! Well, aside from the above six, but I can kinda wait for those to show up...

Took delivery of Blood of Gondor the other day, and I was a bit disappointed by the Black Numenorean, so I suppose I can add The Mouth of Sauron onto my original list as #7.

Unless he isn't supposed to be *that* Black Numenorean..?

i dont think he is. i think he shall go under his better known name

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#63 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

I hope so! Despite only having, what, a page and a half of appearance time, I still think of him as iconic!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#64 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

yeah he is one of the best of tolkiens creations, after the witch king of course ;)

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#65 Nyck

Nyck

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I love the idea of deeper quests, stacking enemies under locations and stuff!

That sounds great. And i would like to have some adventures that mix those cards i already own to a new story. There are so many good cards in the already existing expansions and sets that i want to see them mixed together. Orc-Hordes, Goblins, Wargs, whatever...

I really like it when the adventures take on sudden and unexpected changes, f.e. The different caves the playersw were dropped in moria, and every player suddenly gets a storyline of his own.

Or the different possible storylines in the steward of gondor circle was great, more of that!

I also like it when cards begon to wander around the table, enemies switching back and forth to players, do unexpected stuff.

More attachments for enemies! Boost 'em up, give them other weapons or items which will get them stronger, nastier

Tom Bombadil! Barrowdowns!

Hobbits! Battle in the Shire.

More quests where you have to take decisions as a group of players how you want to get on

Battle of five Armies, why not have the players suddenly fight over the gold, every one representing one side. So that you end coop play and battle each other, in the end you have to come together again

More cards that reward you for playing it for another player, supporting another player/hero or sth

Spells for the wizards

What about radagast as a hero?

#66 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

has anyone read the post on Tales from the cards — http://talesfromthec.../beyond-combat/

one of the comments by heavykaragh says something interesting

Why not scenarios that change phase order? Moving the phase order to combat>quest>travel changes the game flow

i don't see why you can't choose the order yourself. the planning phase and quest phases should always come first, i think, but why should the travel phase always come before the encounter/combat phase? why can't we choose the order? as long as we complete all of the phases in each round, would it really mess up the game play that much if we could choose? and it would make much more sense, theme-wise. it would introduce a bit more strategy and tactics to the game as well — give us some more options

#67 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Occasionally it would screw with the quest design (Midgewater Marsh in A Knife in the Dark, for example).  And most Travel effects seem to be designed with the expectation that you will do combat next.  "Reveal the next card to travel here" loses a lot of its menance if there is no threat of an additional enemy for combat.  But that would definitely be a cool effect for a quest specifically designed for it: at the beginning of the round, the players decide the order of phase progression.  Add a rule stating that one phase could only occur once per round, then throw in some cards that say something like "When Revealed: End the current phase and go directly to the Combat Phase, bypassing other phases, if able."

#68 kendless

kendless

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

There is a fan made Barrow Downs quest, pretty good too. http://boardgamegeek...ling-at-the-bar

#69 Kerstoid

Kerstoid

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

Note spoiler! I admit that after the previews for  Against Shadow cycle in which Caleb Grace wrote that: "Taken together, the Adventure Packs tell a grand story full of intrigue ..." - When in  the AP Stewart's Fear turned out that the mastermind of the nameless cabal managed to escape the city before his true identity was revealed, I start  speculated that  the mastermind of cabal is the Lord Alcaron who succumbed to the temptation to the enemy. when we meet him in AP Encounter at Amon Din I believed that he commanded from hide enemy's attacks, and when  arrived the Heroes would not be discovered" helped "in defense of the villages. I believed that Lord Alcaron  special lead army of Gondor to the Morgul Vale in last AP right into the trap, and then, when he  have on his side  the Nazgul reveals his face, and comes against the heroes.

story turned out differently :P   but would be good if introduced by phrases such action - that  actions in the style RPG would be cool.

SPOILER SPACE

I just got Morgul Vale in the mail today and... you were right!  I love it!  And now you can knock one item off the LOTR LCG bucket list!

My blog at Master of Lore -- Articles on Tolkien's world as seen through the LOTR LCG.

#70 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:30 AM

Note spoiler! I admit that after the previews for  Against Shadow cycle in which Caleb Grace wrote that: "Taken together, the Adventure Packs tell a grand story full of intrigue ..." - When in  the AP Stewart's Fear turned out that the mastermind of the nameless cabal managed to escape the city before his true identity was revealed, I start  speculated that  the mastermind of cabal is the Lord Alcaron who succumbed to the temptation to the enemy. when we meet him in AP Encounter at Amon Din I believed that he commanded from hide enemy's attacks, and when  arrived the Heroes would not be discovered" helped "in defense of the villages. I believed that Lord Alcaron  special lead army of Gondor to the Morgul Vale in last AP right into the trap, and then, when he  have on his side  the Nazgul reveals his face, and comes against the heroes.

story turned out differently :P   but would be good if introduced by phrases such action - that  actions in the style RPG would be cool.

SPOILER SPACE

I just got Morgul Vale in the mail today and... you were right!  I love it!  And now you can knock one item off the LOTR LCG bucket list!

SPOILER!

I do not have yet this AP (I bought it but is waiting for me in Poland together with the Blood of Gondor and the Black Riders) but I guessed that my words came true when I saw the setup on the card  The Rearguard in the preview of "The Dark Lord Will Have His Prize" that he is the second captain.
Nice the developers have created such an interesting story with a surprising finale. I hope that in the new cycle also show us to an equally interesting story in the background.
They maybe show as Saruman gradually going to the side of Sauron - but I doubt that he will become a main antagonist.

Edited by 13thcaesar, 21 November 2013 - 04:35 AM.

#71 Butterbur

Butterbur

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

I think maybe the next deluxe expansion talk about Eriador...

#72 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

I think that more will be played off in Rohan (The Ford of Isen, Fangorn). I think in scenario The Ford Of Isen the heroes saves the Grimme . Maybe then, we take him to Isengard and this is his  first meeting with Saruman (which will be the beginning of a cooperation).

And why Saruman want capture the Orc leader? I think that also will be on another ally of Saruman, providing him access to armies of orcs.

I think that the heroes unwittingly manipulated by Saruman contributes to an increase in his power to discover at the end, that they really  work against the free peoples.

Edited by 13thcaesar, 21 November 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#73 chuckles

chuckles

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

1) More Elves:
Galadriel,(13thcaesar), Haldir and Thuranduil,(Khamul The Easterling), Celeborn, Círdan & Gildor Heroes
more Noldor/Silvan in general (Djenni), enough for Silvan or Nordor separately too please!

2) More player cards for the lesser factions such as Dale & Dunedain etc - the designers may like spheres... I enjoy focusing more on factions than sphere's.

3) Members of the fellowship as allies (Djenni) & Gandalf the White (jc1138)... like the dwarves or Hobits it fun having lots of well known unique characters.

4) Hobbits... more please! Would like a shire/bree cycle (RichSabre) & Battle in the Shire (Nyck)... a return to the Shire saga would be mint!

5) More attachments for enemies (Nyck)... you could use it as another way to encourage players not to turle or to be quite strategic about it (not that I mind turtling)... could be fun or perhaps brutal if an Enemy boss, gets more and more buffed the longer you take :) ...or has text that reads something like "when boss x enters play add one enemy (to the staging area) for every two allies in play and attach 1 attachment for every 2 attachments in play" - I like the idea of an epic final fight.  

6) Cavalry charge mechanics (RichSabre) - suspect that the Voice of I. will build this with on mounts (I really like both Stead of the mark and Rohan War horse)

7) More secrecy cards (RichSabre) secrecy just doesn't seem complete to me... I would also like more low threat Hero's.  

8) More quests with multiple ways to win like Watcher scenario - (13thcaesar). This would be really cool!!

9) Something that makes use of the Warrior class (and any other traits that don't have any synergies)

10) Replacements: - a new Radagast, new Faramir Hero... (would be happier with the objective ally Faramir in in a Lore wrapper with the current hero text)

In general... I just more! New mechanics and support existing ones... 

"Do not believe him! He has lost all power, save his voice that can still daunt you and deceive you, if you let it."

#74 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

I haven't read the books, so most lore is lost on me, therefore I don't care so much about what areas/races/etc. we dive into, with some slight exceptions. I'm more of a mechanics guy. I'm always fascinated by the evolution of card games. They tend to start out rather simple, then grow more intricate and split things into numerous specialties, which I love. If it were possible, I'd prefer that they started out with these levels of speciality, but of course, the card pool tends to be too small to do so.

Anyway, here are a few things I'd like to see, some are duplicates of what others have said:

1) Ents. They're cool and they have the potential for some very interesting mechanics

2) Flesh out the Dunedain and other less-represented traits. I think I want the Dunedain the most, but building up smaller traits to have interesting mixes of strengths and weaknesses.

3) Additional ways of dealing with locations. There are so many ways to deal with enemies right now, but other than willpower boosting and effects that place progress tokens, we don't really have much in the way of dealing with locations. Maybe we could use the locations against enemies. Something like:

------

Head Start

Event - Cost 3

Action: Place progress tokens on the active location until the location only needs one more progress in order to be explored. Then, choose an enemy. Reduce that enemy's threat by the number of progress tokens that were just placed on the active location.

------

I don't know. Something like that and/or some completely different things.

4) Powerful cards with very noticeable drawbacks. I love the idea of adding the Doomed keyword to player cards like in the VoI expansion, but I hope to see some more innovation in this area.

5) A "Party Card". This is something that should have been implemented from the start if they were going to use it, but each deck should have a single card that the player chooses that gives them their limitations and deck-building rules. The card could also provide certain abilities that a player can activate for free. For example:

------

Stealthy Raiding Party

Party Card

All of your heroes must have the Ranger or Dunedain trait. You may have no more than 2 heroes in your deck.

Do not raise your threat during the Refresh Phase.

Forced: After an ally enters play, raise your threat by 2 (Raise by 1 instead if the ally has the Ranger or Dunedain trait).

Secrecy discounts are always active, regardless of your threat.

------

This may or may not be an extreme example, but if you're going to build a thematic deck, why not use a card like this to tie the theme/synergy together more. As you can see, they can also be used to give new/more life to mechanics that have flopped (like secrecy in this example). Also, looking at that second example, it would open you up more to being able to use the Faramir hero in a Ranger deck without his high threat being as counter-productive.

You could also configure other limits, such as only having 2 of any card in the deck, instead of 3... or having different min/max number of cards in the deck... or raising/lowering the threat threshold for secrecy/losing.

I think things like this can really add more options to deck-building and give each deck a more distinct flavor. You could potentially use the same exact deck with two different Party Cards and have it make enough of a difference to the gameplay that it feels like you're playing an entirely different deck.

Edited by joezim007, 26 November 2013 - 12:32 AM.

• danpoage likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#75 Style75

Style75

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

I hope you all get your wish!

FFG announced that Warhammer: Invasion is ending and the just released expansion will be the last. This caught pretty much everyone by surprise and the community of players is shocked.

I don't think this is going to happen to LotR:LCG any time soon (at the last Gen Con, the CEO said the game was the company's unsung hero) but it will happen eventually and it's good for the designers to read what everyone would like to see before the game is wrapped up.

I predict at least 3 more years so we three more deluxe sets, three more AP cycles, plus the rest of the saga expansions. After that I think the game is done.

Edited by Style75, 29 November 2013 - 02:13 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS