10 things before the game dies

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

I thing adding a new sphere is counter productive, with cards like "same printed ressource icon". Having only 3 hero make the choice difficult enough, and 4-players game having the opportunity to represent each sphere is good as it is. Morevore, sphere have distinct mechanism within themself, making "subsphere" like Lore encounter manipulation, Lore trap, Lore heal etc...

However, I would combine point 2 and 3 of Raven : having a fifth sphere, that is corrupt, (but neutrals cards might be a better idea...) where each card is powerful but with a downside, like spoiled cards in Voice of Isengard. Exemple : a neutral sphere hero that gives +1 threat to the staging area each time you use his ressources...

Interesting points but i disagree. I think monosphere cards have nothing to do with adding a new sphere into the game. I myself don't play this game with four players but i can't imagine having some variety in choosing spheres (if everyone plays monosphere decks that is) being a bad thing. And it's not like it's impossible to create a new mechanism for this fifth sphere.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#42 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

i think it poses some challenges....especially those quests that base X effects upon the spheres we have...those that have spirit,lore,tactics and leadership icons will be affected by the addition of an extra sphere that is not named on these cards

still i think if they make it a 'non sphere' sphere (if that makes sense) it would be better. something that is not just another sphere but another mechanic

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#43 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

To me, I think the biggest challenge of introducing a new sphere would be putting out enough cards to make it feasible quickly. They would have to do a deluxe expansion that was nothing but player cards for that sphere just to get it to a decent point. There are a few effects, mainly in the most recent deluxe and cycle that refer specifically to the four spheres, and those could probably be easily addressed with errata. I personally don't think a new sphere will ever happen, but I would want to see it mainly because I'm curious how the designers would handle the challenge.

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#44 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

It might just because I'm easily confused, but I'm not sure about the idea of a player card being shuffled into the encounter deck that gives a positive effect when revealed. Why not cut out the middle man, though, and have a neutral event card in the player deck that has a reveal immediately effect? In my games, the odds of getting through the encounter deck are usually higher than getting through the player deck, but that's just me. 

Although I suppose the precedent has been set for this kinda thing with Ithilien Archers in Massing at Osgiliath, to say nothing of the stuff in the Black Riders box. But in terms of more regular, generic play, it would probably confuse someone like me...!

I quite like the idea of cards that must be paid for using a single hero's resource pool, rather than from more than one if the spheres match. There are already some tactics cards that spring to mind from the core set, I think, that have limits on where the resources can come from to pay for them, so why not further this kind of mechanic? 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#45 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I quite like the idea of cards that must be paid for using a single hero's resource pool, rather than from more than one if the spheres match. There are already some tactics cards that spring to mind from the core set, I think, that have limits on where the resources can come from to pay for them, so why not further this kind of mechanic? 

i like that idea- sort of the opposite of thicket of spear then?

#46 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yes that's a pretty clever idea..

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#47 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, going back on all rules to add a fifth sphere make it technically improbable. What about neutral cards that need traits ? I made some fancards to illustrate my idea because... bored...

Spoiler

#48 jc1138

jc1138

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Some things I'd like to see:

1: Gandalf the White

2: Hero version(s) of Gandalf

3: Unique weapons, such as Glamdring, Sting in versions that are not limited to specific  quests.

4: Treebeard and the Ents

5: Saruman as an enemy

6: A great Pelennor Fields quest showdown with the Witch-king

7: Galadriel as a hero (and ally), along with husband Celeborn and Nenya

8: Cirdan the shipwright

9: For Rohan, Gondor, Sylvan, and other deck types to get their day.

10: Agree to some degree about the questy quests, but it could be said that's what they were trying with Journey to Rhosgobel and Hills of Emyn Muil and we all know how those were received...

#49 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

@alogos- i like that image- it comes up on the lotro load page ;) i really like the idea of trait buying of cards...nice and thematic

#50 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

@alogos, I think this may very well happen, for example in a cycle that focuses on "classes" traits (warrior, ranger, scout, etc), as well as the "must be payed using resources from only one hero's resource pool" in a cycle focused on duo or tri-sphere decks. Maybe the cost 1 ones and maybe the 2 ones would be "token" for kind of effects, such as "cancel one treachery" (which is already the case) or chump blockers, while the cost 3+ cards would be heavier, more powerful effects.

Edited by Gizlivadi, 19 October 2013 - 04:24 PM.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#51 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

I would also like more "enviroment" cards such as Dusk, Eventide and Midnight and some of them that help you (Spirit characters get +1 attack or that make some things cheaper for example), some benevolent type enviroment that players could play, for example an event called "Evenstar in the sky" or something that did something good or gave some bonus, that'd be cool.

• jormungandr and spalanzani like this

#52 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

I would also like more "enviroment" cards such as Dusk, Eventide and Midnight and some of them that help you (Spirit characters get +1 attack or that make some things cheaper for example), some benevolent type enviroment that players could play, for example an event called "Evenstar in the sky" or something that did something good or gave some bonus, that'd be cool.

thats a great idea. that way there isnt even need for new type of cards as these fit right into the event type.

a 'mist' even would be good to hide the hobbits or give secrecy for 1 turn

rich

Edited by richsabre, 20 October 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#53 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

thats a great idea. that way there isnt even need for new type of cards as these fit right into the event type.

a 'mist' even would be good to hide the hobbits or give secrecy for 1 turn

rich

Exactly, they're literally events, and yeah events like "Mists" is a great idea as well as "Cover of Night" or something like that. 

#54 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Way ahead of you guys : 

https://plus.google....=CKaknKWEobzUNg

(coincidence, has I work on a crossover of http://en.touhouwiki...ameplay/Weather)

I'm currently working on simpler effect and removing the part where you can win or lose and adding some contextual bonus for player. The first idea was to make the game harder and competitive.

#55 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

That's pretty amazing alogos, great art as well. But I think I prefer these more as player cards for the good ones and as treacheries as the negative weather ones (unless it's a specific mechanic of the scenario such as in SoE), so we can use these in more than just one quest.

#56 ClydeCloggie

ClydeCloggie

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Assuming that Voice of Isengard / Ringmaker will take care of three of the main things missing at the moment (Ents, Rings, and corruption), my wish list would be:

- The Blue Wizards

- Freedom to Roam quests where there is only one quest card, a stack of locations to choose from and just you and your strategy to decide how to go about visiting those locations to beat the scenario. Essentially: make the LCG even more similar to MECCG  :ph34r:

- The big baddies: The Mouth, Shelob, Gothmog, Sauron of course. Shelob is a given for later in the Saga cycle, I guess.

- Shadowfax. He must be better than Asfaloth, and Asfaloth is one of the game's best cards...very curious to see what Shadowfax will look like.

- Returning to the corruption theme: a real downside to walking around with shiny attachments, the more you have the stronger you may be but also the less likely you are to remain pure at heart, which is the main theme of the books. I would like this to be a common theme in encounter decks. Essentially: make the LCG even more similar to MECCG  :ph34r:

Overall, essentially: make the LCG even more similar to MECCG  :ph34r:  :D

#57 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

1. Harad Forest quest with Wild Mumaks

2. A cycle that goes back in time and is not all about the middle part of middle earth.  I want Beleriand and all that stuff up north.  

3. Haldir and Thuranduil Heroes

4. More Dol-Guldur  

5. Searching for the lost Blue Wizards

6. More new player card mechanics such as the ones they introduced in VOI with the threat raising thing. 

7. Another "New Sphere" deck like outlands.  

8. Lower costs for the Nightmare decks (you can tell I'm running out of ideas ;) )

9. Nightmare decks to be really good.  

Khamul

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#58 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

I don't think I would like to have to search for the blue wizards like I would if we had to BE the blue wizards in a quest.

- The Blue Wizards

- Freedom to Roam quests where there is only one quest card, a stack of locations to choose from and just you and your strategy to decide how to go about visiting those locations to beat the scenario. Essentially: make the LCG even more similar to MECCG   :ph34r:

This this this! Though I still think it's pretty much because of nostalgia by now, but I would really like this.

#59 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

1. Harad Forest quest with Wild Mumaks

2. A cycle that goes back in time and is not all about the middle part of middle earth.  I want Beleriand and all that stuff up north.  

3. Haldir and Thuranduil Heroes

4. More Dol-Guldur  

5. Searching for the lost Blue Wizards

6. More new player card mechanics such as the ones they introduced in VOI with the threat raising thing. 

7. Another "New Sphere" deck like outlands.  

8. Lower costs for the Nightmare decks (you can tell I'm running out of ideas ;) )

9. Nightmare decks to be really good.  

Khamul

100% agree

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#60 jormungandr

jormungandr

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

1.) A saga about the drowning of numenor/ Ar-Pharazôn saga (2nd. age)
2.) A Narn i Hirn Hurin saga. A Mîm the Dwarf hero.
3.) A way to "level up" heroes (like VTES advanced vampires)
4.) More encounter deck hate, I'd love 'combo' or 'control' decks
5.) 'Lure of the West', a special way to lose elf characters (Lure x: upon xth counter elf character leaves   middle earth)
6.) A way to make mono tactics decks more playable.
7.) Mini/Solo quests: especially for secrecy decks. When threat hits, say, 30 you lose. I'd love to go out hunting in Rhûn with only Aragorn.

8.) More tutors (cards that let you search your deck, like word of command)

9.) Expansionsets with nothing but questcards for players that own the whole game.

10.) Last best: Playing with the Sauron side. Nazgûl as heroes, all nine of them. Armageddon. Rawr.

Lol, I kind of like everything with a ^ above a vowel, it seems.

Edited by jormungandr, 26 October 2013 - 04:55 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS