10 things before the game dies

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Nickpes

Nickpes

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

1. Full Silmarillion content (What would a hero Turin be like?)

Each round he should raise his threat by one on his own to beggin with  :P

Lord of all Noldor

A star in the night And a bearer of hope

He rides into his glorious battle alone Farewell to the valliant warlord

#22 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Initially I thought this would be an easy topic because there is so much stuff that I enjoy in Middle Earth, but then I realised the game now includes (or will include, barring any major catastrophe) a huge chunk of what I want, so I don't know if I'll be able to get a full 10, but let's see:

1) Quest-y quests are a great idea. While fighting has its place, it isn't the main focus for the books (unless you think in grand terms of the fight of good versus evil), people aren't shooting arrows and slitting throats on every single page. We need more expansive quests of discovery, intrigue, and general rambling. This isn't Warhammer! 

2) Rhun. The East. Well, anything foreign in that respect! Just what is in that Sea of Rhun? Who lives in the forest that skirts its shores? And in those mountains that shield it from the west? What's going on there that we need to know about? What are those two other Istari getting up to over there?! 

3) While I'm dealing with the extremes of the map, what about Ered Luin? And what's to be discovered at the Icebay of Forochel? 

4) While 2, and certainly 3, are mere pipe-dreams, I think Angmar would make a fine addition to the game, and would be very disappointed if we didn't see some sort of expansion take in this area. When (if?) the game moves to the Cthulhu-distribution of one deluxe per quarter, I would like to see an Angmar box. Not sure if I could cope with a sustained cycle of nine quests up here, unless of course it took in a much wider area. 

5) I would like to see Lothlorien cards. I'm not precisely sure how this could be implemented - I don't know if it'd be viable to feature in the next saga expansion given as how nothing adventure-y actually takes place here, but I would be highly aggrieved if we got five years or more into the game without anything more to show for it than a mere handful of cards.

6) Rich, I feel like I might be copying you a bit too much here, but I've been hoping for location cards for us heroes as well for a long while now. Something that grants a boon while it is in play but can take damage from undefended attacks or something. 

This appears to be it for now. Weathertop, Saruman, Isengard, 'record' cards, more Osgiliath, and the Mouth of Sauron are all things that I've been desperate to see, and it seems that by the end of the year I'll have everything I've ever wanted for the game! Well, aside from the above six, but I can kinda wait for those to show up...

• jormungandr and richsabre like this

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#23 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

i would love to see those locations spalanzani. i keep referring to LOTRO whenever i talk about 'fellowship un-visited' locations, but i think its a good example of just how much there is to play with out there....remnants of evil spirits in angmar, goblins on the march in ered luin, bandits on the greenway.

what i personally think is a good idea is a 'hunt for the lost palantiri' ...perhaps the one lost in forochel could have fell into the hands of the native population and its a race to recover it?

• spalanzani likes this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#24 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

what i personally think is a good idea is a 'hunt for the lost palantiri' ...perhaps the one lost in forochel could have fell into the hands of the native population and its a race to recover it?

I'd like to see a sort of battle of wills going on, almost, as you try to persuade the natives to hand it over. Using willpower instead of attack strength when resolving combat, much like 3B of Druadan Forest. When you 'defeat' an enemy like this, they go into the victory display, and when you have a prescribed amount in there, you win. However, undefended attacks, or maybe even for every point of 'damage' enemies do to you, cards leave the victory display. Maybe.

*palpitations*

• richsabre likes this

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#25 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

yes i know my english is terrible

proper translation

Caeser, I think he was meaning that he wanted to see "proper translation" on the game cards.  There has been much discussion about how some of the terms, keywords, etc get translated into some of the non-English languages and how it can possibly affect gameplay.

I doubt anyone is seriously going to criticize each others language abilities on here... this is a pretty encompassing community that is well represented by non-native-English speakers.  I would say that 99% of us have little or no problem figuring out what everyone is trying to say!

1. Full Silmarillion content (What would a hero Turin be like?)

Yes!  I know there's a licensing issue, but holy heck!  Please make this happen.  Turin is my all-time favorite Tolkien character... I would never build a fellowship without him if I had him available... lol.

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#26 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Not sure I can come up with 10 off the top of my head, but some of mine have already been mentioned:

1) Silmarillion/first-age/second-age stuff.  If I got this, I wouldn't include a single other item on my list.  PLEASE SANTA!!!

2)  Angmar/Arnor/ area... specifically, a cycle depicting the fall of the Northern Kingdom and the later defeat of the Witch King (Even IF it meant a third Glorfindel hero... lol).

3)  Treasure items (or "named" weapons/artifacts) outside the sagas.  Yeah, we have STWB and Asfaloth.... but where's Sting, Glamdring, Andruil, Phial of Galadriel, etc...?  Even some unnamed (but familiar) items like a mithril shirt, etc would be nice!

• Djenni likes this

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#27 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Caeser, I think he was meaning that he wanted to see "proper translation" on the game cards.  There has been much discussion about how some of the terms, keywords, etc get translated into some of the non-English languages and how it can possibly affect gameplay.

I doubt anyone is seriously going to criticize each others language abilities on here... this is a pretty encompassing community that is well represented by non-native-English speakers.  I would say that 99% of us have little or no problem figuring out what everyone is trying to say!

Yep, I was refering to bad translations by lazy translators. I don't have any problems to read posts in this forum. I can even see the little cute hearts that Glaurung is painting over each "i". ;)

• richsabre likes this

#28 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

haahahahaaha i love this forum- the only place that things can be said without ending up into all out war

and for those who struggle with english posting- its still probably better than mine, and i am english ;)

#29 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Only two things I would like...
1) as long as we get all the way to mordor and finish The Lord of the rings story, I will be happy.
2) I hope they come out with some revised rules for solo play at some point. They have already come up with new rules for easy play, so it's not all wishful thinking. If they can come up with a way for solo players to use more heroes, so we don't have to play two-handed, and can think of a way for us to use sentinel and ranged (other than with a few event cards) would be great

#30 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Only two things I would like...
1) as long as we get all the way to mordor and finish The Lord of the rings story, I will be happy.
2) I hope they come out with some revised rules for solo play at some point. They have already come up with new rules for easy play, so it's not all wishful thinking. If they can come up with a way for solo players to use more heroes, so we don't have to play two-handed, and can think of a way for us to use sentinel and ranged (other than with a few event cards) would be great

1. i am sure they will get us to morder, if not further...though the debate about anti climatic endings is of course another topic. personally im happy to have saga end then explore further areas ignoring that sauron has fallen (though we could go back in time). in any case the game only has to last at most another 3 years for that to happen, and i see some of ffg's lcg are around that age anyways.

2.this is interesting. personally i have come to love 2 handed play and dont see it in the 'playing two people' way i expected. however i am a solo player at heart and i would love to see ways to use ranged and sentinel for that- opening up options in the game is only a good thing.not sure how it would be done....i wouldnt want a major revision of the solo rules as i think the simplicity is key here

rich

#31 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

And I suppose it would be nice if they could revise the "nightmare mode" rules as well, and make them a bit more like the campaign mode in black riders,
How great would it be if we could play through all the quests from all the cycles in order, in one huge massive campaign. You can't really do that with the official nightmare mode rules because they are too hard

And I have just thought of one more thing I would like...
Weather cards. But I have already talked about those ones to death.
I haven't played the quest yet, but I also loved the mechanic in that new gencon POD quest, where they introduced a time element to it, advancing the hours as you went through the rounds, I love stuff like that. I would like more of that kind of thing. It makes the quest seem more like a real life story

#32 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

I'm more a mechanic of the game fan than a LotR fan, so I will skip all comments on background content.

5.not so quest-y quests. quests that are more light hearted in that they involve no peril. for LOTRO players im thinking of the festival quests. for those who havnt played lotro they are sort of quests where you look for things, rescue hobbits from hilarious situations, throw pies at people....ok..that last one would make a stupid quest, but i think some sort of light quest based around an errand in the shire would be good

6. cavalry charge mechanics. if it will be anywhere it will be the next cycle. i want some sort of charge mechanic that can kill multiple enemies engaged with you but comes at great cost.

7. 'building' sub cards. we have allies, attatchments and events but id also llike to see 'architecture' cards or something similar. they could function similar to enemy buildings in siege mode, by having hit points and lowering the threat in the staging area or something

I love the idea of 5-6-7.

For 6, there is Dunhere and Knight of Minas Tirith. I think that cavalrymen could engage ennemy before engaging them in close combat.

Something like engaging ennemy while dealing damage is for heavy cavalry and dealing damage in the staging area light cavalry. To balance the attack in the staging area, I see something like "the ennemy resolves an attack with his threat instead of his strength".

For 7, there was a lot of idea, and other mechanism, that are not very playable but nice : a player cards event that shuffle itself in the encounter deck when played with a positive "when revealed" effect, or a player location card. We already have trap that are played in the staging area, so why not ?

My list of mechanism (because I have no lore) I want to see :

1. not so quest-y quests

2. cavalry charge mechanics
3. more attachment that doesn't go on characters

4. cards that promote 2 hero or less play (with some more secrecy cards)

5. less obvious combo (LoV+Glorfindel) (cards that give bonus to someone specific is ok) or imbalanced cards (Voice of Isengard cards, outlands, Glorfindel)

6. more double edge effect (Hammer Stroke, Elf Stone, Advance Warning)

7. already said but allies version of hero allow to play them in solo

8. less unique cards per extension (seriously, apart from event, half the cards are unique)

9. competitive gameplay (race against the shadow was not very well received, I often see local made competitive rules)

10. open licence for fanmade scenario (maybe after the games dies...)

#33 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

excellent ideas alogos!

Edited by richsabre, 17 October 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#34 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

@Djenni - i love uruk hai......and oh yes, i see you're from iceland- i am particularly jealous you have Sigur Ros on your doorstep ;)

rich

Yeah that's right we have the Bluruks and those Mordor Uruks (Muruks) :) 

haha yeah they really are an incredible band, i'm actually kind of embarrassed to admit i've never actually been to one of their concerts, but oh well there's still time for that.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#35 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

@Djenni - i love uruk hai......and oh yes, i see you're from iceland- i am particularly jealous you have Sigur Ros on your doorstep ;)

rich

Yeah that's right we have the Bluruks and those Mordor Uruks (Muruks) :)

haha yeah they really are an incredible band, i'm actually kind of embarrassed to admit i've never actually been to one of their concerts, but oh well there's still time for that.

seeing them in a couple of months...cannot wait ;)

#36 Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

There are some fantastic ideas here!

Here's my own take on a "bucket list" for the game:

1. Some version of a Campaign Mode for the regular, non-Saga game. I will also take anything that adds more RPG elements to the game, and provides opportunities for characters to grow and for decisions to have a lasting impact.

2. Corruption mechanic - I would like to see something that really reflects the theme of players and characters being vulnerable to corruption. Something that grants power but also could lead to the corruption of characters would be perfect. I want something other than threat and doomed to represent this central theme of The Lord of the Rings.

3. A new sphere - I'm not talking about one of the Saga-specific spheres, I want a brand new one. This would be difficult to do, with player cards being released so slowly, and any new sphere having to start out so far behind the existing ones. Still, we're speculating here, and I'd love to see what the designers would come up with.

4. Silmarillion expansion - This would be the most epic thing ever, rights be damned!

5. The Blue Wizards - They need to show up at some point and in some form.

6. A trip to the deep East/South - There wouldn't be much material to go on, but that would make such a speculative cycle really intriguing.

7. Choose your own adventure - Someone mentioned this idea, and I absolutely love the idea. I'd love to see different paths through a scenario.

8. Official playmats - Take my money!

9. Sauron mode - This falls under the category of "spin-off", but how much fun would it be to control a marauding band of orcs and Nazgul? Give us the Witch-king as a "hero". Give us a quest where we're attacking Minas Tirith. Threat counter? How about a willpower counter and we use our threat to quest!

10. Ents, ents, and more ents 

Check out my LOTR LCG blog: talesfromthecards.wordpress.com

Listen to The Grey Company podcast: greycompanypodcast.wordpress.com

#37 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

great ideas Raven. who wouldnt want to play the side of evil....crushing all the weakling resisitance before sauron's might foot?

:angry: (there was no evil emoticon....that will have to do)

Edited by richsabre, 17 October 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#38 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

More quests like Watcher In The Waters - I mean more opportunities, ways to win, as in this scenario (you can win by killing the Watcher or guess the password to the door of Durin).

#39 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

I would absolutely love more quests like Foundations of Stone, that quest is so much fun and plays out differently every time i quest through it. I also love the idea of the players getting separated and having to fight/quest their way back together. It's just so different from the other quests.

Also getting a new fifth sphere later on could be really interesting and fun.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#40 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

I thing adding a new sphere is counter productive, with cards like "same printed ressource icon". Having only 3 hero make the choice difficult enough, and 4-players game having the opportunity to represent each sphere is good as it is. Morevore, sphere have distinct mechanism within themself, making "subsphere" like Lore encounter manipulation, Lore trap, Lore heal etc...

However, I would combine point 2 and 3 of Raven : having a fifth sphere, that is corrupt, (but neutrals cards might be a better idea...) where each card is powerful but with a downside, like spoiled cards in Voice of Isengard. Exemple : a neutral sphere hero that gives +1 threat to the staging area each time you use his ressources...

Edited by alogos, 18 October 2013 - 06:21 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS