When are you in melee combat?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cps

cps

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

The following situation happened in my last OW game. I threw a grenade and blasted an enemy off his feet in my direction. On that enemy's turn he spent a half action to stand and another half action to move in my direction. His half-move is 4m and I am 4m away.

Are we in melee combat?

#2 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

No- to be 'engaged' in melee, an attack roll must have been made. Just being adjacent is not enough.

#3 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yes, he must actually attack you to tie you up in melee. The turns are just an abstraction of ongoing events that are assumed to happen roughly at the same time (offset by Initiative). Unless he actually engages you in melee, even if he has a weapon up, you have essentially started backing away or move away before he's actually reached you.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#4 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

There are no actual definitive rules for when you are and are not in melee combat, as I have found. Personally, I ruled it that entering close combat with an adjacent (not within your reach, but adjacent) creature is a free action. Actually fighting them with melee attacks also engages you in close combat, naturally.

I did this to make life easier for close combat characters, who - I find - often get shot before they make it anywhere. Lets a cc character charge one enemy, and not have the enemy's two adjacent buddies melta him in the face at point blank range.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS