Content and Character Builder

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hey! Thanks for the hard work, I love the style of this builder. I'm actually trying to enter all talents with a quick description of what they do. It is taking me hours though... (and still on letter D.) :(

I just had a question. Is it possible to remove tags? I tend to get tired and almost sleepy doing that stuff, plus it builds up tension, so I sometime type more quickly than I should. Any way to remove those mistakes?

Thanks!

PS: By the way, I'm voting for the ships just to be contradictory. :P And I like it.

Yes, go to settings/tags and press the "Scan" button. This will scan all tagged files and clean up your tags so that the auto complete only has tags you've kept.

I hope this answers your question and thanks for using my builder! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Edited by JasonRR, 25 October 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#42 CamilleBC

CamilleBC

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Well the only thing is putting 400 pages into a builder.  :D

Do you have any patience in stock? I could use some  ;)

And thanks for the answer, I actually pressed scan but everything disappeared and I thought I did a mistake. I'll probably just have to wait a bit longer!  :lol:

#43 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

Well the only thing is putting 400 pages into a builder.  :D

Do you have any patience in stock? I could use some  ;)

And thanks for the answer, I actually pressed scan but everything disappeared and I thought I did a mistake. I'll probably just have to wait a bit longer!  :lol:

Only the tags you are no longer using should disappear. I hope this was the case. If there is something I can do to make this more intuitive, please let me know. I will likely have at least one or two more releases before I can publicly release anything relating to printing or ships, though it looks like I will be starting with printing.

#44 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

A small update with a number of usability enhancements.

2013.10.26 v0.1.5.4

• Cleaned up a few areas where tags were not fully implemented

• Added ‘toast’ messages to help confirm some user actions

• Settings now open in a faux modal window

• An add button has been added to each item in the Find section of the Character Inventory Pane

#45 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I was inspired by BrashFink to add a Lovecraftian setting to my builder.

I am still looking into printing, but in the meantime enjoy!

2013.10.28 v0.1.5.5

• Added a Lovecraftian setting, because BrashFink on the FFG boards inspired me too

• Added PowerDie as an option to be added from the Mechanical bonus

#46 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

One thing I will say is that the setting classification for things is a good start, however, given campaigns within a setting may have different requirements. For example in a Sci-Fi setting we could have Star Wars, Star Trek, Gattaca, Shadowrun, or Firefly which will definitely have some skill differences, although some of this may be science-fantasy, but you get the picture. Perhaps you can change the setting label to Genre which seems more appropriate, and let us assign a item to more than one genre. Then the next step would be to have the ability to add campaigns or settings in which we can choose a genre or 2 which would give the base items, and then from there we can add and subtract items as needed to make up our specific campaign. 

=)

#47 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

One thing I will say is that the setting classification for things is a good start, however, given campaigns within a setting may have different requirements. For example in a Sci-Fi setting we could have Star Wars, Star Trek, Gattaca, Shadowrun, or Firefly which will definitely have some skill differences, although some of this may be science-fantasy, but you get the picture. Perhaps you can change the setting label to Genre which seems more appropriate, and let us assign a item to more than one genre. Then the next step would be to have the ability to add campaigns or settings in which we can choose a genre or 2 which would give the base items, and then from there we can add and subtract items as needed to make up our specific campaign. 

=)

I like the way you are thinking here. Setting was sort of initially added as an afterthought, but it has slowly become more and more important to me and apparently others as well. If you wouldn't mind adding that as a detailed entry in my Suggestions doc, I would love to get to that sometime in the future. Others have suggested allowing custom Settings (or Genres), but more specific than what I have is what Tags are for.

#48 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Will do. Where is your suggestion doc hiding? Could you add a link to that to your main post too? 

Thanks! =)

#49 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Will do. Where is your suggestion doc hiding? Could you add a link to that to your main post too? 

Thanks! =)

Here is the link: https://docs.google....S2c&usp=sharing

It should simply be in the main folder that I have linked to, but I can add a separate link too.

#50 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

added =)

#51 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

added =)

Thank you! That doc is the best place to keep good ideas that I might not be able to get around to in the short term.

#52 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ok, I had one of those moments where I knew exactly how to fix something to make it better end to end, so here it is:

2013.10.29 v0.1.5.6

• Added a check box on Specializations to add Base Power Rating (max 1) as you would see in the FSE specs

• Cleaned up a few instances of the Power Rating Name setting not being pushed through

You can now remove and Power Rating traits you were using to increase a character's rating due to taking the appropriate spec.

#53 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

This was a long time coming. I streamlined the mechanical bonuses and made them far more intuitive. Please let me know what you think.

2013.10.29 v0.1.6.0

• Major change to how mechanical bonuses are handled behind the scenes

• Added a new UI to any editors where mechanical bonuses are used

Edited by JasonRR, 31 October 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#54 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Small update to fix a bug.

2013.11.01 v0.1.6.1

• Fixed a bug that could cause invalid numbers when a character has mechanical bonuses that originate from Power Upgrades

Edited by JasonRR, 01 November 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#55 Rincew1nd

Rincew1nd

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

I love this, I think it's a fantastic program.

But 1 hour into entering the information in to the content bit is so dull i've closed the program down and probably won't go back to it.  :(

#56 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

But once you get it in, the thing is like magic. 

I am only entering the info that I need, when I need it, otherwise that is way too much info to do at one time.

Just a thought. I am player, so that does make it a little easier.

#57 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

I love this, I think it's a fantastic program.

But 1 hour into entering the information in to the content bit is so dull i've closed the program down and probably won't go back to it.  :(

This has come up enough that I am planning on writing an export portion so that I can export the FFG content with no details and share it. Now, I haven't typed up all of the content either. Only what I am using with my group, because, as you said, it is a bit dull. So please (anyone), if you have content, feel free to share it.

#58 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

Almost got an exporter finished. I have much of the content (which will have all of the descriptions cleared). I hope this will help people get started.

#59 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Heh. I really liked entering info to the builder, because it got me acquainted with the talents in a quick & easy way. I find it much easier to memorize things if I write those things down. So for me it was a GM exercise.

Good to hear you're coming out with some shared content, JRR. 

#60 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

New update to help me share content with you.

2013.11.01 v0.1.6.2

• Added an export settings page to export content… mostly so I could export my content to you

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS