Content and Character Builder

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#21 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

How do I add the human's racial ability of +1 rank to 2 non-career skills?

#22 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

How do I add the human's racial ability of +1 rank to 2 non-career skills?

As of right now, I have simply been adding 1 additional rank in the 2 non-career skills in the "starting" column (since they are simply starting skills). If you would like to see something more formal, I could add a feature that allows those skills to be selected from a Trait or Talent within the character advancement pane. Let me know if this works for you or if you think the feature would be needed. You can find an example in the Sample Characters zip file.

#23 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

BTW, I would like to say your program is a pretty as hell. Good usability!! 

That way will work and is simple.

Having the ability to create a specific racial trait allows the modeling of humans would be good and make things more explicit and clean.

Another option may be to split the Starting column into to 3 columns: career starting and spcl starting, and then add one more column for racial that way we can track the math easier during character creation and can make sure we have everything right. Obviously, this last column will be grayed-out for most races and have only certain ones available for humans.

OR perhaps a small section under the list of skills which is split into 3 columns where you can specifically select the bonus career skills, the bonus specialization skills, and the bonus racial skills (to select from if there is an option to select)

Just some thoughts!

Thanks again for all of your work! 

#24 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

How do we print the character out?

#25 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'll have to think about a more explicit way to add the human racial. Your suggestions have lead me in a direction, but I'm going to be out of town until next Thursday so I won't get to look into it until after that.

As far as printing your character goes, you can't right now. I have never done much print work and I was in talks with some people that did but it fell through. Due to that, adding printing got pushed off. I just recently began looking into printing myself, and if enough people ask for it, I can make printing the top priority.

Let me know what things you think are most important and I will make them a priority.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.

#26 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

I see. Your work around will work just fine for now. It is really easy to do.

Honestly, I have been using another program which is pretty good until I found this program yesterday or so, but I really, really like how clean and usable your program is and I will most likely be using this one from now on. =) 

The most important feature for me, at this point, would be printing, otherwise this great program has a much more limited use since I cannot print out a character sheet to bring to the table.

Good stuff!  Keep it up!

#27 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

I see. Your work around will work just fine for now. It is really easy to do. Honestly, I have been using another program which is pretty good until I found this program yesterday or so, but I really, really like how clean and usable your program is and I will most likely be using this one from now on. =)  The most important feature for me, at this point, would be printing, otherwise this great program has a much more limited use since I cannot print out a character sheet to bring to the table. Good stuff!  Keep it up!

Well then, I suppose I should give up on the possibility of someone else working with me on printing and do it myself!

I'll be at the UI18 conference in Boston next week but I'll have my laptop so if I get some spare time, I'll start digging into the print stuff.

#28 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

No hurry, man!

You just do what you think needs to be done, unless you are bored.  =) =O

You have done a great job so far!

#29 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

I'd like to do a quick informal pole. Would you like to see ships and vehicles or printable character sheets?

I originally had ships and vehicles as my next major feature, but if the community would rather see printing, I am happy to oblige.

#30 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

I just got back from UI18 and it was a blast. It was great talking to lots of other UX professionals and learning from some of the best in the industry. You'll likely see a number of updates soon based on what I learned and while I am researching character printing.

#31 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Totally jealous man! Some of my favorite training was UX training (Human Factors International). Good stuff. It was one of the few times in my career where I was surrounded by people who spoke my language! =) 

#32 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

I suppose you interest in UX explains how great this app is put together.

Mad props to ya! 

#33 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

Anything really neat happening in the UX arena? I have been out of the loop for sooo long! =(

#34 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

I suppose you interest in UX explains how great this app is put together.

Mad props to ya! 

Absolutely, I was one of the only software engineers and UX designers there. The only other one I met worked for Apple dealing with their internal app store, but everyone was awesome! It was hosted by UIE and all of those guys were extremely helpful and friendly. It was the first time that I was surrounded by 

Anything really neat happening in the UX arena? I have been out of the loop for sooo long! =(

There is a ton going on right now. In fact, UX is really starting to take off all over. Apple has a lot to do with it, at least for the start of this push, but designers are getting hired for everything from internal tools, to medical apps, to financial services. It is a really great time to be a designer and even better to be a designer and engineer. It just really gratifying to see that what I love to do is really valued.

#35 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Awesome! =) We need more designers and engineers who know UX. It is really important!! =)

#36 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'd like to do a quick informal pole. Would you like to see ships and vehicles or printable character sheets?

I originally had ships and vehicles as my next major feature, but if the community would rather see printing, I am happy to oblige.

5 days later, he responded...

Printable character sheets would be boss. 

Whereas, I suppose, ships and vehicles might be BoSS...

#37 FreeXenon

FreeXenon

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I will go with printable character sheets, but I am torn... 

#38 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

5 days later, he responded...

Printable character sheets would be boss. 

Whereas, I suppose, ships and vehicles might be BoSS...

I'm not sure how to count your vote, awayputurwpn... (;

Both will take me significant time to build, so I'm happy to go either way and I have not had a chance to start either due to the conference.

#39 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

:) I do like the idea of character sheets more. 

#40 CamilleBC

CamilleBC

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hey! Thanks for the hard work, I love the style of this builder. I'm actually trying to enter all talents with a quick description of what they do. It is taking me hours though... (and still on letter D.)  :(

I just had a question. Is it possible to remove tags? I tend to get tired and almost sleepy doing that stuff, plus it builds up tension, so I sometime type more quickly than I should. Any way to remove those mistakes? 

Thanks!

PS: By the way, I'm voting for the ships just to be contradictory.  :P And I like it.

Edited by CamilleBC, 25 October 2013 - 06:59 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS