Content and Character Builder

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello everyone, I've kept this a little quiet over on the d20 Radio forums, but seeing the availability of other similar tools on these boards, I thought it would be a good time to post mine.

I have been working on this builder for over a year now with the help of the great folks over at d20 Radio. It does not contain any content specifically, and was designed to allow users to fully build their own content from the ground up. I have been using it to create a Fantasy mod over the EotE system and I could easily see the Edge of the Union guys using this to generate their custom content.

There are help files, including tips and tricks, sample characters, suggestion documents, and a change log to track what I have been up to.

Please head over to the d20 Radio forums, have a look, and enjoy.

JRRBuilder Beta

Screenshots

Note: This Content Builder has been created using .NET 4.0 and will only work on windows (sorry Apple users).

Edited by JasonRR, 07 November 2013 - 08:20 PM.

• polyheadronman likes this

#2 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

It's a really nice piece of work, complete with some nice trackers for obligation and initiative, and a virtual table to hold NPC cards. Very useful! 

#3 themensch

themensch

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

The first person to make a spiffy program like this that runs on something other than Windows will gain a gold star.  

(Yes I realize I could likely hack mono to do it or use a VM, but hey, I could also just sit down with a paper and a pencil.)

#4 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

The first person to make a spiffy program like this that runs on something other than Windows will gain a gold star.  

(Yes I realize I could likely hack mono to do it or use a VM, but hey, I could also just sit down with a paper and a pencil.)

Heh, sorry themench! I actually looked into building this against mono, but there is no WPF support in mono so it was not possible.

#5 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

For those of using using AoR, I just added Duty to my builder along with a few other updates.

2013.10.15 v0.1.5.2

• Added Duty for Age of Rebellion support to the Character Attributes pane

• Added a Talents section to NPCs

• NPC Talents have been added to Combat Cards (requires reloading of the NPC Combat Card)

• Enhanced the readability of several listbox and combobox contents

#6 thorn-124

thorn-124

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

JasonRR are you using the AOR beta sheet to do up the info, and did you do up your own AOR beta sheet?

#7 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

JasonRR are you using the AOR beta sheet to do up the info, and did you do up your own AOR beta sheet?

I have a copy of the AoR Beta book and I am using that plus updates for info, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by Beta Sheet.

#8 Diggles

Diggles

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

if you want to be taken seriously, you'd have screenshots of your software.

#9 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

I had no idea it would be so offensive to people! Anyway, you will find a series of screenshots of the important areas of the application. If you would like to see more or shots of specific areas, please, just ask. I hope this helps.

Screenshots

Edited by JasonRR, 16 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#10 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi, I'm a Apple person, so I can't use it, but wanted to say great idea! The screenshots look pretty bad-ass!

-EF

#11 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi, I'm a Apple person, so I can't use it, but wanted to say great idea! The screenshots look pretty bad-ass!

-EF

Thanks for the kind words! I really love working with the .NET framework and this project started as an experiment and turned into something quite useful. I would love to see Microsoft create a cross-platform version of .NET, but I'm not hopeful.

#12 archon007

archon007

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hello everyone, I've kept this a little quiet over on the d20 Radio forums, but seeing the availability of other similar tools on these boards, I thought it would be a good time to post mine.

I have been working on this builder for over a year now with the help of the great folks over at d20 Radio. It does not contain any content specifically, and was designed to allow users to fully build their own content from the ground up. I have been using it to create a Fantasy mod over the EotE system and I could easily see the Edge of the Union guys using this to generate their custom content.

So to clarify its a builder that you have to add all your own content to? So if I did want to use this I'd have to manually add all the classes, skills, talents, rules, etc?

#13 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

So to clarify its a builder that you have to add all your own content to? So if I did want to use this I'd have to manually add all the classes, skills, talents, rules, etc?

The short answer is yes.

I chose to do it this way to more likely avoid the risk of a Cease and Desist order due to copyright infringement. That said, if someone else has created content, I would be more than happy to link to it here, but I do not take responsibility for the content for the sake of having this builder last as long as possible.

I can understand not wanting to do all the work yourself, and you are more than welcome to use the excel builder or any other that provides content for you. My intent was to give people the most flexible and generic builder I could.

I have been using this to create a fantasy skin on EotE and for those familiar with WFRP3, I created a "Force Power" for the Small But Vicious Dog which you can see here.

Again, anyone who wants to publish their content can contact me and I will link to it, but I will not generate the content myself so that I can keep this tool alive as long as possible.

Thanks for understanding.

#14 MrTact

MrTact

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Heh, sorry themench! I actually looked into building this against mono, but there is no WPF support in mono so it was not possible.

You could try building it under silverlight, which runs (in a browser) on Windows, Mac and Linux.

#15 archon007

archon007

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

The short answer is yes.

I chose to do it this way to more likely avoid the risk of a Cease and Desist order due to copyright infringement. That said, if someone else has created content, I would be more than happy to link to it here, but I do not take responsibility for the content for the sake of having this builder last as long as possible.

You might want to look at this one because it has all the info but under descriptions it says "see page x in core rule book". We haven't had issue from FFG in fact I'd say it has helped sell books.

http://community.fan...nerator/page-21

Edited by archon007, 16 October 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#16 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

You could try building it under silverlight, which runs (in a browser) on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Unfortunately, in its current state this application will not build under silverlight. Silverlight is also a dying framework and only a subset of WPF.

#17 Otzlowe

Otzlowe

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Woah now. Being a little harsh?

----

Anyway, thanks for the program, JasonRR! I really love this.

#18 MosesofWar

MosesofWar

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

This is absolutely amazing! Its definitely a lot easier to 'maintain' than constantly updating PDFs.. Is there any way to upload a portrait/picture of your character?

“I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master”

#19 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

This is absolutely amazing! Its definitely a lot easier to 'maintain' than constantly updating PDFs.. Is there any way to upload a portrait/picture of your character?

If people think it will be useful, I can certainly add support for character/npc images. I haven't had any requests for that in the year I have been developing this builder. I will add it to my list of suggestions.

#20 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Just posted another update. Enjoy.

2013.10.17 v0.1.5.3

• Removed the “All” Defense area from the Character Attributes

• You can no longer edit the Armor Bonus areas of Character Soak and Defense

• Armor Bonus areas of Character Soak and Defense are now calculated from equipped armor in your inventory

• Added an About Pane under Settings

• A number of minor UI adjustments

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS