One more question!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Xandaroth

Xandaroth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

I noticed some of the game's expansions are scheduled for reprint and there's an "Updated!" banner in blue wrapped around the picture. I just read through the errata PDF in the support section, so you probably know what I'm about to ask.

Does that "Updated!" banner mean the item is being reprinted with changes? If so, is there a way to tell which sets or packs FFG intends to reprint with errata changes?

And finally, the biggest question of them all: Are any of the expansions or packs suffering game-breaking errata issues that would force me to need the website's errata FAQ document or is it all nothing a little bit of thinking doesn't fix?

I'm normally pretty good with errata and applying the right meanings to jargon in games, but consulting a PDF file every 5 minutes is a mood killer! If there's no reason for me to wait for reprints then I might be ready to dive in :)

Edited by Xandaroth, 15 October 2013 - 04:02 AM.

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

the updates are errata - there really isnt much that has been changed. several were rather annoyingly changed due to only a few gamers purposely seeking out new ways to break the game (others will not see it this way) however errata in this game can be split into

-those that you should take note of, due to their effects automatically, or at leat mostly unbalancing the game (such as rules changes of encounter cards, game set up)

-those you should only take note of if you really cannot help but build the 'game breaking' decks out there....i.e. if you put the errated card in a normal deck its fine but if you look up zigil miner game breaker deck, then you will need to errata him

of course all errata is official. i personally go by all the errata in the game as i am like that, but some you will not even notice.

as for if the quests need constant referring to, this is not much of a problem. the FAQ is not that long and most of it is just that -the FAQ.

when a quest has been errated it is becuase it is to fix a bug coming up in a certain instance, such as block wargs in ithillien.

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Xandaroth

Xandaroth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

Hmmm. Would you say it's relatively safe to just buy as the budget allows and not worry about it? For the most part it sounds like the errata issues in the game can just be ignored and the game holds up just fine. It's true, I don't number crunch or try to find exploits, so as long as it's not like what you said about setup or encounter card text... I can probably just play it out of the box and have fun just fine. Is that the case?

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

yes its fine- most of the time you will not notice it. for instance the block wargs got errated because of a continous loop that occured when they were the only 2 cards left in the encounter deck. with the card saying shuffle back in and surge then it was broken.

however this is a rare occurance for this quest. i have played thousands of games of lotr lcg and have never had what i call a truely game breaking experience that i felt i need to refer to the errata for.

you may even want to ignore some errata. zigil miner is pretty rubbish with it, and thrors key is also useless. others like protector of lorien were limited to a certain number of uses per turn because it was considered too powerful. however if you are struggling you may want to keep the old ruling until you get more cards ,this way you have another power card to draw on

in short if you never look at the errata you will be fine.

rich

#5 Xandaroth

Xandaroth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Well that solves it! Gloves are coming off and it's time to save Middle Earth.

Thanks for answering my questions. See you guys in Mordor!

• richsabre likes this

#6 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

and thrors key is also useless. 

I'm unaware of any errata for Thror's Key.  Perhaps you meant Thror's Map? If so, I agree, is not as useful post errata.

#7 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

Thror´s Map can still be useful if you´re at a bad location. I´d agree that it has lost it´s intended purpose with the errata even if it was too powerful.

Could still have retained some of it´s purpose if you were allowed to use it in any phase except quest phase or something along those lines.

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

ah yes- the map is what i meant. the key i love.

rich

#9 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

ah yes- the map is what i meant. the key i love.

rich

The key is fast becoming a must include for me for quests with particularly nasty locations. 

#10 koriakin97

koriakin97

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Map might be useful when you play thematic dvarven deck (without Asfaloth and northern tracker) and scenario has some nasty travel effects (like necromancer's pass)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS