Damaging Energy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xeldrakka

Xeldrakka

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

So some context to this. I'm starting a new campaign in which the characters, regardless of their own supernatural power, are generally ignorant of the supernatural world. They may have great abilities, they may fear their own abilities, but goblins and demons and warlocks and flying spaghetti monsters are all things of myth to them. Suffice it to say that illusion is gonna get broken by the end of the first adventure.

One of the beasts they'll be fighting is a creature with a damage barrier. Now as the rules for monster creation state, the creature's damage barrier doesn't protect against attacks which can damage energy. So that begs the question of exactly what deal damage to energy? Some abilities of course are very explicit about it, such as the Aura Extension ki power. But what about a pyrotechnic psychic ability, like Immolate.. or a necromancy spell like Death Beam? Both are clearly supernatural powers, but will do they count as powers that damage energy (Death beam hits the Energy AT, so I'd think that would be the case, but I'm not sure)

He conqueres twice, who conqueres himself first.

#2 Nurddude

Nurddude

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

I would say that anything against the Energy, Heat, Electricity, or Cold ATs is an attack that is capable of avoiding a damage barrier. There may be times when you want to houserule this, but it seems good for the time being.

#3 CyrusRangue

CyrusRangue

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

The rules for this are on page 93 in the corebook, toward the end of the combat section. If I remember correctly, only attacks that specifically say they damage energy or those that do Energy damage ignore damage barriers. Even spells that don't do Energy damage require the ability Energy Control from Arcana Exxet to damage energy and therefore ignore damage barriers. Hope that helps you out.

#4 Pelmir

Pelmir

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

The rules for this are on page 93 in the corebook, toward the end of the combat section. If I remember correctly, only attacks that specifically say they damage energy or those that do Energy damage ignore damage barriers. Even spells that don't do Energy damage require the ability Energy Control from Arcana Exxet to damage energy and therefore ignore damage barriers. Hope that helps you out.

Yup ie a fireball it's a magical evocation of mundane fire, so damage barrier applies

Edited by Pelmir, 22 October 2013 - 04:19 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS